My ODST Costume and Issues from it

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinAeros

Seems like everyone else has a "my project's status" threads, so to start this is a brief update, followed by questions, and additional updates/issues follow.

Alright, so I'm just now getting around to trying to print out the Pepakura treatment of the ODST helmet (scaled at something like 3325/~36.5 cm).... Unfortunately, every single printer (I've tried 6) has jammed on the 110# card stock I have and intend to use on the project.

The trend I'm seeing is that they're bottom-loading printers, so they have to contort the page more than "normal" to print on it, and the resilient nature of the card stock is causing it to read as a jam (even on "heavy paper" settings for the printer.).

I'm going to see if I can find anyone with a top-feeding printer to borrow, but should all else fail:

1) Has anyone used Kinko's or someplace similar to print their Pepakura on card stock.

If 1, then 2) How much did that run?

If not 1, then 3) I'm hesitant to do this, but would printing out the pepakura on light paper and then temporarily/permanently gluing the lighter paper onto the card stock be advisable?

4) Those Guys who've also done pepakura pieces, did you have similar problems?

Additionally, other things going on with the costume.

When I bought the blue (Iridium) face shield for my motorcycle helmet, apparantly the "mirrored" descriptor was a misnomer. I'm trying to get a true (and cheap) mirrored shield for this helm, so if you guys use KBC helmets I do not recommend using one of their face shields for an ODST face shield. If I can't find something, or I get under the wire, I can use it I suppose.

Also, I'm waiting on my MOLLE gear to be shipped to me.... It's been hard to find a few things (single grenade pouches, for one) for the tactical harness I'm trying to get.

Sewing Velcro hooks onto a 6000 (or some absurdly high) Denier Nylon Shell is a pain in the butt. The adhesive backed version doesn't want to stick to well either.... Haven't yet been able to get by a store and pick up some liquid stitch, but I'll update y'all when that happens. I've managed to remove or disguise all the US Army on the exterior and greyed out the yellow detailing, so hopefully it'll work better than I fear it will.

Given the trouble with the helmet so far, I don't think I'll try (at this time) to do the arm and leg armor. If I can get it figured out for the backpack I'll do that, probably, but I'll use my motorcycling knee/shin and elbow/forearm guards at Launch.

Can't find a holster to fit the Link H2 pistol I bought, so I'll try modifying it with a (neodymium) magnet for attachment to something.... If I can find fewer than thirty for less than $8 w/o S&H. These'll also find their way into whichever other weapons I wind up getting, but for now I don't think I'll wait in line for H3 w/ a repainted NERF gun.... If only I had one of Link's rifles. Q,Q.

Also, since starting the planning and acquisitions for this project, I've lost/re-proportioned enough weight that the BDUs I had are now pretty loose on me.... Hopefully that won't too badly affect how the costume looks, but I bet it's gonna make it a little warmer to wear. So yay for losing more weight and getting into better shape, but boo for it possibly impacting my costuming.

If I don't get the pepakura done in time to glass it and finish it up nice, I've got a helmet from another costume I'll try to stick in it temporarily to get it wearable for H3's launch.

I might just drop out of development depending on how good Adam's and/or Westerfield's ODST production projects turn out.

I've figured out how to print to a PDF, so now I won't have to re-do my work in pepakura every time I want to print. Huzzah for Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Assuming I figure out how to print w/ the card stock I have (yay for having 500 whole pages of card stock I can't use currently), I'll start working on the rest of the armor as time allows w/ my work and school schedule.

oh god no, thats too heavy.. use a nice 50-65lb cardstock. copy paper is 20lb usually you want your papercraft stuff about 3 times as thick. i know 110lb cardstock is cheaper (i saw a 200 sheet pack for $3.00) but that stuff is a major pain in the...

----------------
im not sure about using kinkos or a copy store, unless you export the 2d template, but that lowers the quality,,, alot..

I have a top loading printer and it has no qualms with 110lbs cardstock. Allthough i was reading in another thread that it might be worth it to go to kinkos or some other business that can print it out on much larger board stuff. I dont remember what the board was called, but he said it was much easier to assemble pepkura stuff that away.

Drgon: I was thinking about the board, but I ultimately want to print the entire ODST armor so I was trying to go a cheaper and, until now, easier route.

Danni: Printing to a PDF seems to preserve most of the quality with the Pepakura file.... So it looks like it'd work. I had noticed the degradation with Microsoft's Document Printer software, but it doesn't seem to be apparent on the PDF.

Or. Print on paper and use 3M spraymount or similar to stick it to the card.

you can also print on copy paper then tape it to card board (ive done it works but takes time) but taping to cardstock can be a option

FinAeros said:
Drgon: I was thinking about the board, but I ultimately want to print the entire ODST armor so I was trying to go a cheaper and, until now, easier route.
Danni: Printing to a PDF seems to preserve most of the quality with the Pepakura file.... So it looks like it'd work. I had noticed the degradation with Microsoft's Document Printer software, but it doesn't seem to be apparent on the PDF.
yeah i see alot of people doing PDF files, i dont know how to make them, lol. i have been doing papercraft for a long time, but never figured out how to make a .PDF

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to have a version Acrobat Pro to have a "Print to PDF" option. Any version works, even the older ones. I've got a 7.* series install of Pro from an older copy of Creative Suite.

I do not advocate piracy, but I do acknowledge that Adobe Products are dang expensive. Perhaps searching for a download that'll provide you a means to have a "Print to PDF" option would be a good idea? I'm not certain about their being something freeware, however.

FinAeros said:
i use 110 lb. cardstock on a regular printer sometimes it jams but mostly it works fine if it jams i just un jam it and reprint the piece

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back