My RC Build and things

Status
Not open for further replies.

geijin

So I figured that I should post/finish a costume now. To that end, I pulled out an unfinished project, a Republic Commando grunt build, that I was nearly finished with. And so, here it is.

The helmet, obviously.

There is some warping on the dome, and the chin is a little off center, but I'm going with it for now. I might rebuild it later if I decide to submit it for 501st/Rebel approval.

The bracers.

Missing the widgets that run along the side in the missing space. I'm going to make those after the bracers and hardened.

The shin.

It looks a little warped, since I sliced a side to try it on, as seen in the pic. The right shin isn't done yet.

The thighs

The back plate. It is currently taped to a pulled plastic chest I purchased from a kit maker on another forum, as seen in the second pic.

The pauldrons

The Biceps

The weapons.
which will be modded to look similar to the RC pistol. It was inspired by this image, found on Mando Mercs.
and

Not pictured are the backpack and front and back ab armor, all of which is pulled plastic I purchased from a kit maker.

Currently, the only thing that still needs to be pepped is the right shin. Then, if the weather holds, I'm going to start trying to get it hardened and rondoed in the next week or so.

Looking good, geijin! Keep us posted. The pauldrons look awesome. Looking forward to seeing it progress

A big update. Everything is pepped. About half of it is resined, but progress has crashed due to an injury.

The goal

The shoulder pauldrons

Left Forearm

Right Forearm

Left Thigh

Right Bicep

Back Plate (half resined)

Helmet (resined, rondoed, and partly bondoed for sanding)

Small update. Everything is resined, all but the backplate have a coat of resin on the inside. The backplate I started fiberglassing on the unfinished paper and it did not go well. Since the weather is changing though, I wanted to get the rest of it at least Halloween wearable ( I define that as waterproof and durable enough to stand outside for pics, but not move much in ), and I will resin the unglassed areas of the back before I start glassing again. Pics will hopefully be added tomorrow. However, the helmet has had some progress made. The front is still not aligned, but the dome is starting to come together. It still needs a more sanding to pull down some high spots and get a good flowing curve, but I'm happy with it for now.

Lookin' good, Geijin. Definitely see what you mean by high spots, but 236 hours of sanding ought to take care of that!

Update time. For the first time ever, I have a fully laid out suit (minus a few small greeblies). And I am never working with fiberglass again. I could have rondoed an entire suit, and gotten better durability, in the time it took me to fiberglass half the suit.

The full suit, all resined/rondoed up, and waiting on sanding.

The thighs

The full right arm (the bicep warped, but I can't redo it until it gets warm out again)

The full left arm

The finished backplate

The front and back cod pieces

The front and back of the backpack

The shoes(they need some work, but they will do)

And some updates on the helmet

And a little side project I decided to do to see how it would come out...

I aim to misbehave.

Last edited:
Good call on getting the abs and chest from a kit maker. I was looking at most of the pep build files and none matches like those of the kits

Rock on, man. Looks fantastic!

Thinking just the classic white paint scheme?

That weapon build looks outstanding for cardboard. Most of the time I see choppy, misaligned parts, but this one looks great!

Good call on getting the abs and chest from a kit maker. I was looking at most of the pep build files and none matches like those of the kits
It was actually an accident that I ended up with them. One of the kit makers was getting rid of "seconds", so I picked up what he had for CHEAP. Unfortunately, I was never able to pick up the rest, so I decided to pep the rest.
Rock on, man. Looks fantastic!

Thinking just the classic white paint scheme?

That weapon build looks outstanding for cardboard. Most of the time I see choppy, misaligned parts, but this one looks great!

Thanks. And yeah, going white. Just doing what the 501st defines as a grunt. I'll dirty it up and add some detailing tho. I really like the one I posted, although I won't do quite that much weathering.

As for the pistol, your statement is exactly why I decided to build it. The plans come from Bill Doran at Punished Props. He built one, and then his wife did a cardboard one using only basic materials a "new maker" would have. I just found her's to be really disappointing, so I'm sort of doing my version of a "new maker" build, since the only advanced things I own are a Dremel and an airbrush/compressor. It will be all cardboard, sanded by hand (it's already had some misaligned parts), sealed with watered down Elmer's glue, and painted with spray paint. I want to see if I can get one that looks like it is not made of cardboard.

It was actually an accident that I ended up with them. One of the kit makers was getting rid of "seconds", so I picked up what he had for CHEAP. Unfortunately, I was never able to pick up the rest, so I decided to pep the rest.

Thanks. And yeah, going white. Just doing what the 501st defines as a grunt. I'll dirty it up and add some detailing tho. I really like the one I posted, although I won't do quite that much weathering.

As for the pistol, your statement is exactly why I decided to build it. The plans come from Bill Doran at Punished Props. He built one, and then his wife did a cardboard one using only basic materials a "new maker" would have. I just found her's to be really disappointing, so I'm sort of doing my version of a "new maker" build, since the only advanced things I own are a Dremel and an airbrush/compressor. It will be all cardboard, sanded by hand (it's already had some misaligned parts), sealed with watered down Elmer's glue, and painted with spray paint. I want to see if I can get one that looks like it is not made of cardboard.
OHH hahaha that explains it! looking forward to see how it turns out!, would love to start on one soon, I got 2 helm sitting there waiting for an Armor to go along with it

photo6219705913191802953.jpg

Nice, those are great helmets. That's probably my biggest disappointment with this suit is my helmet. It went great until I put the chin on, and saw that it was didn't line up. Eventually I'm going to rebuild it, or 3d print it, once I get a 3d printer.

I got them from a model maker group on Facebook, Alien Technology Studio. It took quite a while to find pep files, so your best bet is to probably try and join that group, unless someone else on the forum has files they can share. I have never found any files for foam, but if you get these, it should be easy enough to convert them for foam, there isn't much that requires complex angles except the helmet.

I got them from a model maker group on Facebook, Alien Technology Studio. It took quite a while to find pep files, so your best bet is to probably try and join that group, unless someone else on the forum has files they can share. I have never found any files for foam, but if you get these, it should be easy enough to convert them for foam, there isn't much that requires complex angles except the helmet.
Awesome. I’ll check them out. Thanks sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back