MysticLegend's Spartan Laser

MysticLegend

Jr Member
So, there are 2 open threads about my laser, but those are only barely related....speaking more about materials or noobish questions than the laser itself. So, I hope no one hates me, but I'm gonna create this 3rd one as the complete and *only* thread that I'll keep track of from now on.

This main post will be updated a lot, so everything below this line WILL change from time to time:

Laser_005.jpg

Laser before I cut out the cylinder cover

Laser_010.jpg

After cover was removed

Clay_004.jpg

Hehe, seems I will be able to mold in plaster.


QUESTION!
Please look at the pictures of the wood laser base. I plan to add about 30-40 lbs of clay to it, and want to do both sides at once (to make sure they end up even and such). Anyone have a clue how I can support the model while working on both sides? I guessed two long screws drilled into both ends, and then I'd rotate the piece to whatever side I wanted to be on.
.....but, 45-55 lbs of clay and wood on two support screws? Didn't sound very secure. Ideas anyone?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

AoBfrost

Well-Known Member
That is awsome.

Your the only person who has attempted to do this, I think, not sure about it though.
 

drgon47

Well-Known Member
Some one here was working on a really good cardboard version. Looks fantastic as does this one. Keep it up.
 

Ruze789

Well-Known Member
Nice start on this!
I don't know what you had in mind for putting together for a support system, but if you're looking for a screw-type setup I'd go with a lag bolt. It's with the screws at any hardware store, but their sizes go from 1/4" diameter all the way up to 1". I think if you were to get a couple of 1/2" by 4 or 6" long lags they'd be sturdy enough. You'd need to drill a pilot hole into the ends of your weapon and get a socket set to turn the screws in (all lags have hexagon heads). Screw them in about 3 inches deep and it will hold up 50 pounds easily.

Oh and mnm was working on a foam spartan laser, Link but he seems to have put it off for now.
 
Hmm Looks great. Can't wait to see your progress.

Question though... about the plaster. That does seem like a cheaper option to using silicone but how does that work? I mean your mold would only be good once right? Or you could line the mold with baby powder so the plastic piece comes out easily? K Thanks in advance. I just haven't thought of that before.
 

Walter Spase

Well-Known Member
You made reference to molding plaster... depending on the amount of detail, it will be very difficult if you mold this weapon to remove it from a fixed hard mold even if you only made hollow shells and not full complete solid casts... unless it as a several part mold. Be careful trying it even if you do, because you may never be able to get he original back out of the plaster if you try to mold it that way... Soft mold with a rigid shell would be a fairly inexpensive way to mold, and it would be easy to remove...

Good work so far... btw
 

MysticLegend

Jr Member
Ruze789 said:
Nice start on this!
I don't know what you had in mind for putting together for a support system, but if you're looking for a screw-type setup I'd go with a lag bolt. It's with the screws at any hardware store, but their sizes go from 1/4" diameter all the way up to 1". I think if you were to get a couple of 1/2" by 4 or 6" long lags they'd be sturdy enough. You'd need to drill a pilot hole into the ends of your weapon and get a socket set to turn the screws in (all lags have hexagon heads). Screw them in about 3 inches deep and it will hold up 50 pounds easily.
Awesome....many thanks :) Another trip to the hardware store, another fun day of playing around :D

Evil Femle said:
Hmm Looks great. Can't wait to see your progress.

Question though... about the plaster. That does seem like a cheaper option to using silicone but how does that work? I mean your mold would only be good once right? Or you could line the mold with baby powder so the plastic piece comes out easily? K Thanks in advance. I just haven't thought of that before.
Kinda like plaster casting your body....if you've ever seen those tutorials. It's not possible with stuff like armors and helmets, where the angles are too extreme and complex. Lasers though.....are possible. I just slapped plaster straight onto the clay, no lubricant or anything. Came off quite easy, as long as you have a starting point to tug from.
The final cast is different. I'm gonna go cheaper than plastic, and do a fiberglass resin +cloth piece. You must lubricate the inside of the plaster with petro jelly (or similar), and then lay out your fiberglass and cloth like normal. Pulling it out of the mold is a bit harder too, but it usually won't hurt the plaster.

(Note: Make your plaster at least 1/2 an inch thick. I did mine thiner and with plaster bandages.....'cause I was in a hurry to see if this method works. If you zoom in, you can see that the thinner walls are cracked on my test molds.)
Oh yeah....and those test molds are about half the size of a computer mouse, if anyone wanted a reference for thicknesses...

Spase said:
You made reference to molding plaster... depending on the amount of detail, it will be very difficult if you mold this weapon to remove it from a fixed hard mold even if you only made hollow shells and not full complete solid casts... unless it as a several part mold. Be careful trying it even if you do, because you may never be able to get he original back out of the plaster if you try to mold it that way... Soft mold with a rigid shell would be a fairly inexpensive way to mold, and it would be easy to remove...
Yeah, I think it'll be a 2 or 3 part mold, either two halves, or two bottom halves, and one complete top piece.
It's actually not that hard....the plaster doesn't stick at all. As for maybe some tiny corners getting caught and resisting....well, it's not like I'm keeping the clay model for anything else. Damage may happen, and I can either repair it or not care (good point though).
Soft mold with rigid shell.....inexpensive? What other way are you thinking of? Looking at silicon prices, it's not that cheap. Doing it that way, I'd be looking at about $500 in materials. This way is $100-140 tops ;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it is going to be very cool and keep us posted.

I am starting to work on my H3 rocket launcher this weekend. I will start another string with my progress.
 

Vrogy

Well-Known Member
Oh le e'snap. Is that MDF? I'll be keeping an eye on this, it is not Sturgeon's 90%.
 

MysticLegend

Jr Member
Okay....so I've been recording stuff more in my blog than out here, but....never hurts to display more pictures :)

The clay's been on it for a couple days now, and I keep working at it for an hour or two each day. I'm kinda happy to see how it's coming along, especially since I've never done a big clay project before. Still though, it's a lot of work, and the freakin thing's heavy!
DSC00057.jpg

DSC00058.jpg
 

MysticLegend

Jr Member
Durlaburban said:
i hope you used LAG bolts to hold up the laser... you wouldnt want to waist all that work...
Lag indeed. Someone else suggested it a long while back. Hehe, these have to support about 40-45lbs each near the end of the project, so I think they'll be fine.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top