N00B O.d.s.t Rookie Helm And Armor W.i.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonefist007

Jr Member
Ok Ladies and gentalmen, im starting this thread to Chronical My very first ever Costuming project. thanx to many veterans And members alike i have the pep files i need *** At least I think I have them all*** Anyhow. last night I printed out the Ral partha unfold of the Rundown rookie bucket. Again Thanx for re-uploading Ral, Im going to try and upload as many pics as possible, and any and all suggestions and Tips are welcome. I gave myself a whole year to get this done from pep to finished Product that way I don't loose it if i fall behind.

Anyhow after seeing some of the great work from All of you guys im inspired and Know I can do it. Pics to follow

BTW Has anyone ever had the there edge Id's jumbled on top of one another. I have this problem with My Helmet Pep, But im working through it. maybe the settings are screwed on my end im using Pep designer 3 and this is the Ral partha Unfold of rundowns Rookie helmet. thanx i will do amore thorough search on the furom later, just thought I would ask now.

K, Stonefist007 out for now

Glad to see you get started, post some pics soon! On a complex helmet like the Rookie, it's nearly impossible to not have a few numbers overlapping, the folds are just so tiny. They all do line up, they're just very hard to keep track of. My suggestion is have the pepakura program open so you can match up what goes where and in what arrangement as you're working. There are over 1100 (not a typo) edges on the Rookie helmet, keep that program open and refer to it so you don't get totally lost!

Don't worry, I had the same problem with the overlapping numbers!! It was a nightmare, especially after realizing my pep was scaled too small Oh well trial and error, trial and error. Hope to see some good work from ya!

Flyerfye said:
Glad to see you get started, post some pics soon! On a complex helmet like the Rookie, it's nearly impossible to not have a few numbers overlapping, the folds are just so tiny. They all do line up, they're just very hard to keep track of. My suggestion is have the pepakura program open so you can match up what goes where and in what arrangement as you're working. There are over 1100 (not a typo) edges on the Rookie helmet, keep that program open and refer to it so you don't get totally lost!

Thanx Flyer, yeah i have the prog Open, Bad part was earlier today I had taken some of it to work with me to sneak in some pep time on my lunch break, unfortunately no Pep Program at work..... Hmmmmm maybe have ta start bringing my laptop again ( inserts evil grin)..... but I am determined... i will get this thing done. went out and baught my resin and fiberglass materials today cause i think By monday i may be ready for that stage. Anyhow Was taking pics with my Phone, will Post in the Morn some progress Pics.

edit*** I just noticed that i have some different numbers on certain parts that pep says belong together, but the numbers dont even come close and there are no other ones on any sheets that could be But the peices look like they are the right ones imma just put em together and work off themodel and if the numbers dont match and it works out im good if not will just Reprint and do again, i have a year before Comicon/Animefest 2010 anyway and thats my goal. Actually My real goal is a Full ODST and an iron man suit as well. Sheesh im not an overacheiver lol.... Back to pepping

And Kanan Thanx as well glad to see someone has traveled this road ahead of me, so im not going in circles....... " but dam I swear I pissed on that tree before.... maybe just a cooincidence..." LOL again thanx pics to come in the next few days maybe a Video as well

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE**** PIC heavy****

yesterday:

[attachment=12534:update01.jpg]

[attachment=12535:update02.jpg]

This Morning at work:

[attachment=12536:update03.jpg]

[attachment=12537:update04.jpg]

Tonight:

[attachment=12538:update5.jpg]

I know im slow but I wanna take my time and get it as good as I can.

I need to Hit the stickies and find a better way to upload Photos and Video as i go along. Just gonna do a Search tommorow andy suggestions Guys?

daftndirekt said:
try using photobucket.

TY Daft will look into photobucket, as well as Tiny (something) as soon as I get outta work today, But first Im off ta bed LOL.

****Update 10/6/09****

OK Guys srry this is taking me so long (Full time job + School for 4 Hours afterwards + Wife equals Not enough time for pepping).

But It's 2:44am and i just Finished the back of my pep Tell me How im doing.

If i keep this pace i should be resining and Fiberglassing this baby By Friday My day off, Weather permitting.

OK im gonna try Photobucketing these pics here goes.

Tommorows Goal The Sides ( ears), and maybe facesheild...

bupdate03.jpg

bupdate02.jpg

Bupdate01.jpg

Looks dang good so far, keep it up. Be careful with those little indent pieces just above the visor, and be extra-careful with the "ear" pieces, and all those crazy little parts near the vents. Pretty easy for warpage to happen there.

yeh i agree those ear and vent things are extremely hard especially on the dutch bt you hve incredible pepakura skills but slow and steady wins the race im really liking your work keep it up now i want to make my own rookie helmet

I know its been a lot of work so far, but it looks like you are making good progress. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you will be resin-ing on schedule.

For a first time Pepakura, you're doing great. Like a previous poster said, hopefully the weather will allow you to resin/bondo. I realized that's going to be a difficult step for me, as I'm in Ohio, and it's already cold to the point that it takes a little while longer than it should for the Resin to dry.

However, I've realized this is an advantage. Where as I might not get the suit done for the January Convention, it allows/forces me to take time on the Pep work, and make sure it's perfect.

Just keep taking your time and it will turn out great! I think with the ODST suit, the hardest part is the helmet, the armor, aside from the legs, is a cinch if you can perfect the helmet.

***Flyerfye***

Again Tyn and thanx forthe heads up I will try my best to keep an eye out for these trouble spots and look for Warpage points. I will post pics tonight when i go to bed after some work on the helm of course

***Gir3892***

Thanx for that compliment, it means alot to me as this is my 1st build ever. And any compliments i receive from veterans like yourself and Flyerfye and the others Makes me strive harder to do the best i can to uphold the standards of the 405th and the great work i have seen.

***Tikigod002***

thank you, yeah i think that the weather on friday should hold up. it rained tonight but i have a good feeling. I actually took the remaining pages of pep to work and cut them all out on my lunch break. Im scoring and assembling as we speak.

***Larven***

Thank you

***Crazy Ivan*** Thank you, and i myself gave a timelimit for this build as a whole year, that way if i hit a snag I wouldnt feel pressure and would then be forced to rush it and have it look subpar. " underpromise But Over deliver!", Good luck looking forward to seeing your Kick ass stuff.

Ok lemme get back to my helm so i can post some fresh Progress Pics...... DO YOU GUYS WANNA SEE MORE ?.........

****Update***** 10/7/09

Cupdate5.jpg

Cupdate04.jpg

Cupdate03.jpg

Cupdate02.jpg

Cupdate01.jpg

Okay, This part was As tuff as you guys warned me about definately The hardest part so far. Good thing is That part is done lol. Anyhow this is how far I got tonightA few minor probs But i will fix them During resin and Bondo stage. let me know what you guys Think...

Srry Guys didnt realized that since i moved my images into A album that it broke the image links of last nites progress Its fixed now though........

rockoutloud211 said:
Looks great so far. Are you going the fiberglass route or are you doing a silicon version?

Thanx, Well im going to resin the outside and bondo. Still undecided on if im going to use Fiberglass for the interior or go the plastic route with some smooth on products i have buaght a while back for some 40k terain and base reasons.

any way i will post which approach and the resultrs as soon as possible. just got home and need to pep the front and final parts to try and resin tommorow morning Day off before it rains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back