N00B to pepakuras props: Any alternative building suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazzadous

Hello Everybody,

I'm a student contemporary artist who is interested in creating Pepakura projects over this summer. I want to start simple and work my way to a full body suit of Custom EOD/CQB Armour from Reach. I've been doing my research and have a collection of pdo. files and know what i want to build over the journey to my end goal.

Anyways, I appreciate the depth and sheer amount of work with every little project, but the supplies to continue after paper-crafting is where building these kind of props get quite expensive. (Being a student can be painful sometimes £££)

"Can anyone suggest any alternative materials and methods to constructing these projects without sacrificing too much integrity to what makes these props so unique?"

I'm intending to use a thin cardboard called 'gray board' for cardboard structures and some Peps with these projects to reduce warping and the need for internal fiber glassing ( well... i intended to use paper-mache for internal reinforcement as well) & EVA foam for Small detail parts and pieces that need the material.

If the thread gets responses I might add my Project Calendar as well featuring props from DOOM, PayDay2, Hotline Miami, Star Wars and etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Cardboard is great to work with after all. Here is my MK VI helm just made from cardboard from a foam template.

So you don't want to use Resin and fiberglass or body filler? Here's my advice. you can use paper mache or paper mache pulp method.

I'm not an expert but you should keep researching for things that can be alternative if your on a tight budget. So Peace!

And good luck on that helmet.

.....War, War never changes...

Attachments

• IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1108.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 198
A cheap method for doing pep is as you said paper-mache. After hardening the outside of your armor w/ a few layers of wood glue, you can do the same technique to harden the inside as you would w/ fiberglass but instead of resin and the fiberglass you use wood glue and cloth. Once the inside has a few layers of that, you mache the outside to get rid of the seams and any imperfections. You will need to use something to fill in divots and crevices that the mache can't. If as you say Bondo is too expensive, try joint compound/plaster. It is relatively cheap and easy to work w/ and sand-able. The down side of all of this is that it can be a bit brittle. Even the fiberglass ones will crack/break if you drop them but a casual bump w/ do no damage. A full suit made from EVA foam would also be on the low end of the price spectrum as each 4 pack is about 10-15 dollars US. You wouldn't need more than 3 packs if you were economical but mistakes do happen.

Try looking around your area stores.
Some places have recycle bin just for cardboard. Just ask, most don't mind letting you take some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back