Soft Parts Need a duct tape dummy? This is how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

active84u

I decided to have a bash at a basic undersuit so needed a dummy to work on, gives me somewhere to store the pile of armour too. If your going to do this, you will need the kind of help you wouldnt ask anyone but a best mate to do!

Starting with the kit
1 pair of paper overalls
old shorts
old socks
3 rolls of packing tape
3 rolls of gaffer tape
Sharp round ended scissors

th_kit.jpg

Tuck the overalls into the socks, makes it easier to cut them off.
th_white.jpg

Dont put the tape on in a full peice, do it in strips and not tight. Should be just enough to push the overalls against your skin. No cutting off the circulation!
th_hlfpacked.jpg

When working on the torso, make sure you leave room to breathe. The tighter the tape the harder it will be and if you call 911 or 999 (uk) because they passed out you will get grief.
th_packed.jpg

Go back over with gaffer tape as this will not stretch out of shape when you fill it.
th_taped.jpg

Start cutting out carefully at the top to release the head, neck and chest first. Its good to get out of there and be able to move your arms and head.
th_cutout.jpg

Cut off then tape up the seams, stuffing as you go, starting at the feet. If your going to have an internal frame for support, you need to add this now.

Pack where the face was and cover with tape, draw a silly face on it and be stupid with your new life size, accurate dummy of yourself.
th_vdum.jpg

I just got some tape to make my armor suit dummy. I was going to use a old jump suit, but the paper coveralls is a great idea. Still have two paper suits from a old prop building thing i did. TKS!

The two piece coveralls seem like a great idea. I think I'll run and go get them at the dollar store. Ive heard of some people using garbage bags too.

Awesome! I've made one of these before but I did it slightly differently. I didn't use a suit underneath, just did an initial layer of tape sticky side facing out. I used clear tape, reinforced it with wire and then filled it with fairy lights, it made an awesome (yet creepy) lamp/armour display! =p

Thank you for posting this. I was wondering where to begin with my build, and this looks like a great place to start
One question, what material did you use for stuffing?

I recently created a duct tape dummy for my arms and torso using an old long-sleeved t-shirt. I was considering sacrificing an old pair of jeans for the legs, but I'm pretty sure I have a set of disposable overalls I would be much happier to cut off at the waist to do the job. Excellent idea!

Much more fun using this method to make one for a girl. Done two now for costume designs. What fun.

Genius.

This is exactly what I needed for my build. It's cheap, effective, and super silly looking!

As I am Canadian, all of these criteria portray this, to me, to be an all 'round fantastic idea.

Many thanks sir, this dummy will serve me well.

Now, to find someone to tape me up...

i know I am posting in a old thread just wanted to share that be sides crumpling up the new paper you can shred it to help fill it out better.

Nice, I have needed to do one of these for some time. I like yours over most of the others that I have seen. It is also one of the easiest one I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back