Need advice building a Warrior Bug Robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ender9492

Jr Member
Anyone know anything about robotics? I have a Warrior Bug toy, from Starship Troopers, that I want to turn into an autonomous robot. I need some help choosing a controller, base for the legs, movement, etc.
I thought about tearing apart a Roboraptor or something, but that would only solve the behaviors, and the sensors, not the walking; plus, it wouldn't have very strong AI.
Pretty much need help with everything I guess. Anyone willing/capable of helping?

PIC-0080.jpg

PIC-0081.jpg

PIC-0082.jpg

It's next to a credit-card-sized card for reference.

ender9492 said:
Anyone know anything about robotics? I have a Warrior Bug toy, from Starship Troopers, that I want to turn into an autonomous robot. I need some help choosing a controller, base for the legs, movement, etc.
I thought about tearing apart a Roboraptor or something, but that would only solve the behaviors, and the sensors, not the walking; plus, it wouldn't have very strong AI.
Pretty much need help with everything I guess. Anyone willing/capable of helping?

It's next to a credit-card-sized card for reference.

hey talk to my friend adam294 click on my profile then hes under my friends he would know just PM him ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
alexonekenobe said:
hey talk to my friend adam294 click on my profile then hes under my friends he would know just PM him ;)

I PM'd him, but he said that he didn't know anything about how to make a robot, and that you must have confused him with someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
puh, robotics ain't easy. to tell you the truth, it's best starting of with a lego mindstorm. but that isn't going to help you, if you only want to do this one thing.

1. it looks small, you may have some trouble getting everything in there.
2. forget AI, there is no way you are going to do AI on your first project, it's more cybernetic: sensor pressed -> rotate.
3. i don't want to continue the list, but it's a long way.

so, having said that, don't give up, but please start smaller. there was a great feature in MAKE magazine on how to build little robots from stuff like mice which behave somewhat "intelligent". in uhm... was it volume 6? it believe it was. difficult to read, but a good starting point. youtube link.

okay, maybe the make stuff seems too simple or boring. then you'll probably have to go with a prebuild kit. or a mindstorm. there friggin' amazing things if you're into robotics

Depends. If you upped the size a bit, to say, twice that, it's doable.
Expect to spend several thousand dollars, though.

Have a look around http://www.lynxmotion.com/ to get some ideas for control and actuation systems- they have a lot of modular stuff that can be applied to anything.

Yeah, I've checked out the lynxmotion site, and I love the way those bots walk.
I guess if I were to make this, it would be divided into to parts: The leg section, and the head section. The legs would have all the parts for walking, and the head would be the sensors (light, infrared, touch), as well as emotion displays (moving mouth, speaker, LED indicator).
The head would react to what it senses (jaw would snap, or head would swivel, and bug would growl when something gets to close to the IR sensor), and based on what the head senses, it would tell the legs "go forward, go right, go back, stop," etc. If the lights came on, the bug could either scurry toward them, away from them, or do nothing at all. If I had an edge sensor, the bug could tell when the floor turns to steps, or if a table ends, and it would turn around and walk back instead of walking off the edge.

I thought about hacking up a Roboraptor, since it has some of the sounds, sensors, and AI that could work, but it's not what I'd like it to be, and I'd still be stuck with the problem of the legs. I also thought about hacking a Roboquad, but it's only plus is probably the leg movement...

Another thing I found that would be a good base is the Oobug. It has USB connectivity, expansion for other sensors, and programmable AI. Overall, I think it would be a decent base to start from, but it would still leave me with the problem of creating realistic leg movement (since the Oobug moves with wheels)...

If you still need some help with robotics gimme an off list shout... I am the creator of the ooBug.

BIGBUG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back