Need help finishing recon helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day ladies and gentleblokes! How has your day been?
Well, i have some big news. I have completed the pepakura work by about 99% on my recon helmet and its looking great! Now, i have taken some pictures along the way but i will post those -later-.
As for now, i have some questions, as the title may imply about how to finish that dastardly 1%. For your convenience, i have also taken some pictures.
Without further ado, lets get to it.

IMG_20150607_234914_641.jpgHere we see the breathing holes. Unfortunately, there are no flaps or such to connect them to the covers. I will apparently have to find a way to glue it on to the little space it has on that flat piece next to the hole, and i can only hope it will fit. Any and all suggestions welcome

IMG_20150607_234936_805.jpghere you see the pieces. or as i like to call them for some reason, "tortilla chips" although they are neither tortilla shaped nor chips. heh. go figure.

IMG_20150607_235027_572.jpgThis bugger is my main problem. how the hell am i to glue it on?
IMG_20150607_235056_458.jpgThis is what i mean. no flaps, and nothing on the helmet to give me the whereabouts of "you glue here, numbnut"

another problem with this is, if i glue it before the resin, im afraid i wont be able to resin bondo the little space between the box thingy and the helmet itself. But would that mean i would have to resin/bondo it separately?

While thinking of this, i wondered what else i can do. Then i saw the helmet attachement on the pre-order recon edition hqdefault.jpgAka this. It would match the rest of the build! Could someone please see if they could make it? If you need the size etc, i have built rundown's recon helmet from the archive and i have not scaled it as it appeared to be a perfect fit! (and yes, it is! other than a small problem)

Now, my only other problem is, while my head fits nicely inside the helmet (with an adequate amount of space for padding) There is a problem. IMG_20150607_234848_711.jpg
HOW IN THE *act of mating with the goal of reproduction or just pleasure* AM I TO FIT MY GIANT MELON THROUGH THAT?
seriously, any tips? I have heard of others also having this problem.

Thanks for everything! When i finish this, i am going to make a proper progress/suggestion post. and then start with the resin.
Untill then,
have a nice day!
Cheers

Please ignore all the glue etc. it got pretty sloppy when a glue paste almost exploded. Thank you, self, for not having the exam books open and your good clothes on

How weird there are no flaps on the breathers. There were on the helmet I build so it was a fairly easy fit. I wonder why they did it that way.

Just cut out some rectangles, fold them in half and stick them to the sides, so basically create your own flaps that way?

I believe what you are looking at is whats called floating faces. These are separate parts of the model that are not actually incorporated in the main design of the helmet. they are usually attachments, which in your case i believe they are. I would resin them and bondo them separately and then glue them on or attach them in some other way( be creative) before painting. I would go check out impact props website and go to their tutorials section to get a good explanation on how to fit your head into helmets. Its called the back off mod and you basically dremel off the bottom back piece of your helmet and reattach it with magnets. Again, i would check their page out for a better explanation. Good luck!

Yes, the parts that do not have flaps that connect directy to your pieces are floating peices. You attach them after the rest of the work is pretty much done.

As for how to fit your head into the hole, there are a few options.
1. cut the hole larger so that your melon can fit. You then use your neck gater, or some other fabric to fake in the edge so that it doesn't have the bobble head look. This is the most common method,a nd typlically the easiest.
2. do the back off modification. After you have your hemet to the finished bondo stages you find an edge along the back that looks like a good division spot. You cut it there you rebuild use greenstuff. It a moldling clay. Using

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back