Need help with 3D model!


Caleb Ellis

New Member
I made some custom 3D models in Blender, but when I load them into Armorsmith, they get unfolded into a huge mess. Is there a way for me to pick and choose which faces are an individual piece of paper? I triangulated the mesh, but it didn't help much. Is the some sort of prepping that needs to be done to the model before importing it? Or is there something I can do in Armorsmith? Please help!
 

MoeSizzlac

Well-Known Member
I made some custom 3D models in Blender, but when I load them into Armorsmith, they get unfolded into a huge mess. Is there a way for me to pick and choose which faces are an individual piece of paper? I triangulated the mesh, but it didn't help much. Is the some sort of prepping that needs to be done to the model before importing it? Or is there something I can do in Armorsmith? Please help!
Upload a file (either STL, obj, or make it easy on me with a .blend). I'll take a look at it and let you know of its condition from blender standpoint. My guess is that it is not airtight or the faces are facing the wrong way. You can PM me if you don't want it public.
 

Caleb Ellis

New Member
Upload a file (either STL, obj, or make it easy on me with a .blend). I'll take a look at it and let you know of its condition from blender standpoint. My guess is that it is not airtight or the faces are facing the wrong way. You can PM me if you don't want it public.
The helmet is above. It's kind of like a Mandalorian/Galaxy's Edge/Halo design.
 

MoeSizzlac

Well-Known Member
The helmet is above. It's kind of like a Mandalorian/Galaxy's Edge/Halo design.
It's very nice base helmet you have here. Is this supposed to be 3D printable or are you trying to make this good for pepakura?

As far as I can tell, the model looks decent, there were a few intercepting faces that I fixed and it is currently optimized to be a pepakura file (the faces have no depth.) I uploaded a few changes that I made and you can just export the stl file but remember, an object without walls will be visible on one side of the face but invisible when looking from the other side. In other words, if you are looking through the helmet, the inside will look like it is missing until you turn the object around.

Let me know if you'd like me to make it 3D printable or if you'd like me to show you how. I'm still getting used to the new 2.82 Blender interface. They changed a bunch of shortcuts on me.
 

Attachments

  • HelmetMoe.zip
    108.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Caleb Ellis

New Member
It's very nice base helmet you have here. Is this supposed to be 3D printable or are you trying to make this good for pepakura?

As far as I can tell, the model looks decent, there were a few intercepting faces that I fixed and it is currently optimized to be a pepakura file (the faces have no depth.) I uploaded a few changes that I made and you can just export the stl file but remember, an object without walls will be visible on one side of the face but invisible when looking from the other side. In other words, if you are looking through the helmet, the inside will look like it is missing until you turn the object around.

Let me know if you'd like me to make it 3D printable or if you'd like me to show you how. I'm still getting used to the new 2.82 Blender interface. They changed a bunch of shortcuts on me.
Okay thank you! I don't have a 3D printer, so that is what I needed.
 

Caleb Ellis

New Member
Are you trying to make this 3D printable or are you trying to make this good for pepakura?
Good for Pepakura. When the computer unfolds it, it is a mess of faces and paper, very hard to glue together. But I did some researching, and I saw that in other models, that each section that you want to be a separate piece of paper is only attached to the neighboring section by only a vert or two. I don't really know much about making models for Pep, but I have some experience with Blender.
 

MoeSizzlac

Well-Known Member
Good for Pepakura. When the computer unfolds it, it is a mess of faces and paper, very hard to glue together. But I did some researching, and I saw that in other models, that each section that you want to be a separate piece of paper is only attached to the neighboring section by only a vert or two. I don't really know much about making models for Pep, but I have some experience with Blender.
See if you like this.
 

Attachments

  • Helmet.pdo
    405 KB · Views: 50
Top