Need some advice with helmet stability.

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by FelixMercenary, Dec 19, 2018.

1. FelixMercenary

FelixMercenary New Member

I have a Halo 4/5 scout helmet made in pep that sits pretty loosely on my head.

I can put soft foam on the top of the inside to keep my head at the right height and at the back as to prevent the helmet from sliding forward when I look down.

The problem I’ve encountered previously is keeping the helmet in place when I look up. The interior of the helmet is spacious enough that when I tilt my head back, the whole helmet shifts backwards, effectively pushing the visor right against my cheek bones.
    I’d very much rather have the helmet sit still on my head as I look around at all angles so it feels more like a helmet and not a cardboard box on my head.

I was thinking of a chinstrap, with adjustable tightness, to help keep the vertical secure when wearing. As for fixing the shifting issue when looking up, I don’t have any idea.

Any and all ideas/brainstorms would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. electricknite

electricknite Member

You could try padding the cheekbones, chin and forehead. hopefully you have fans inside. Have you looked at how the 501st pads their helmets?

TurboCharizard likes this.
  3. FelixMercenary

I have not. I’d have to put a good bit of foam in order to pad the cheekbone areas. Maybe I could pad the areas around my actual cheeks?

Here’s an image of how much space is in my helmet around my face.

Attached Files:

4. electricknite

electricknite Member

you can get thick upholstery foam maybe.

5. FelixMercenary

That’s what I was thinking. And if what I get is too thick or anything, I can just cut it to the desired amount. But you mentioned how the 501st pads their helmets. Do you have any pictures of that?

6. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Member

I sometimes pad with acoustic foam.
    51G-C-moa9L._SX425_.jpg

Basically, if I can lock in my forehead in and leave a nice pad for the top of my head, the rest doesn't really matter.

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  7. FelixMercenary

That’s a good idea. I could use that acoustic foam. I cut it to the shape of the top of the helmet and fill the area. Should help secure the helmet.

8. slimjm

slimjm New Member

I've used acoustic foam, military helmet pads, and the inner parts of a hard hat to help helmets stay secure for other cosplays I've done. Each has their own cost, level of comfort, and ease of use for each project. If you plan to wear your helmet to long events, I recommend the military helmet pads which you can detach and wash when they get sweaty, or the hard hat suspension. If your helmet is for display for short wear periods, I'd go with the acoustic foam.

MoeSizzlac likes this.
  9. FelixMercenary

Good to know. I didn’t think about the foam getting sweaty during long events. I’ll take a look around and see where I can get military helmet pads from.

slimjm likes this.