New, but not so new...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LocoDoughnut143

Hello fellow Cosplayers! I am not new to cosplaying, I am a member of the Mandalorian Merks club. I have recently joined the 405th because I want to make a custom Halo armor. The idea came to me just as most ideas do to most guys...on the toilet.....(not at all ashamed). The idea is simple, I want to create a Medic Spartan from Halo. I don't think this has been done, and with me already being in the medical field, its gonna be great. I love little details, and realistic armor. I made my first ever costume a year ago and it was an imperial Mandalorian. I took it to comic con and had a great time! Now I want to make a Spartan.

I mainly need help with the PDF Files. I have a mac, so I cant download Pepakura and download pdf's from there. I want to do the Recon Armor from Halo 4. I feel like it would be super fun to make and customize as need be. Can anyone give me the PDF files to print and start piecing together? I am 5 foot 6, so I need to size the armor accordingly, I don't know how to do that.

When it comes to my plan for creating the armor, I don't quite like the idea of using foam as its quite expensive (for my budget) and I would have to trace the files from the printer right onto the foam. Instead I am going to simply make the armor out of paper and harden it with resin. Then I will fiberglass the inside as I have some experience with that. From there I will use some foam here and there to fit it to my body. Then paint, extra details etc...

Any advice would be great, this is my first Halo armor. Thanks very much!

LocoDoughnut143

Welcome LocoDoughnut143, to the 405th. You have the jist of how to do it, and as far as just getting a PDF file.....its not that cut and dry. I know that a mac isn't compatible w/ Pepakura, but one of our members, Yoeyan, created his own and you can find it HERE. Unfortunately, the alternative to Pepakura is Armorsmith and that also does not support a mac.

Last edited:
I wish you luck, I am sorry there aren't any true Pepakura programs for macs. And scaling is probably the hard part if you don't have the program.
As for medic spartans I think the only member who to my knowledge has made one is Azimuth ! So definitly not a common theme.

While pepakura isn't natively supported on Mac, it should run fine with Wine. I only tried it with ubuntu, so it might work different for you, but it should run fine. Hardware rendering doesn't work, but the software rendering is smoother then on windows and I don't really notice a difference between the two OSs. Alternatively, you could install windows in a vm or using bootcamp, but you need a licence for that.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate that. I cant seem to open your file Dirtdives. Can you please send it in again? That would be awesome! and he4thbar Yea, I am taking a much more "gagetized" rout to a medic spartan than Azimuth, but his armor is super awesome!

Sorry about that LocoDoughnut143, I didn't link the page......HERE you go.

While pepakura isn't natively supported on Mac, it should run fine with Wine. I only tried it with ubuntu, so it might work different for you, but it should run fine. Hardware rendering doesn't work, but the software rendering is smoother then on windows and I don't really notice a difference between the two OSs. Alternatively, you could install windows in a vm or using bootcamp, but you need a licence for that.
Wine/ Wineskin is awesome! But there is one small problem, it is 32bit... which means if you are on the latest iOS, it can no longer be run. DO NOT UPDATE YOUR iOS to the latest version if you want it to keep working! At least until they come up with a version that works on the latest iOS.

If you did update, a live install of ubuntu on a usb stick or just via bootcamp works too. You also don't need very much space. 16-32GB should be enough with quite some space left.

There's also the option of running a virtual machine using VirtualBox or another and installing a free version of Windows 10 (lose personalization features) or Ubuntu. It's slower, but an option.

In deciding, you might want to consider we've had Catalina for nearly a year with Big Sur coming later this year and it doesn't appear that support for even Catalina is coming to wineskin. That said there do appear to be some paid versions that can run on Catalina such as CrossOver Mac ($60, $40, and $500 options so likely not worth it), but Boot Camp or a VM doesn't have to cost anything.

Boot Camp is likely going to be your best experience using Pepakura or Armorsmith since you create a partition and you already have it on a Mac. If you have <8GB of RAM I would put Boot Camp over Parallels or VirtualBox as a foregone conclusion.

If you compile wine yourself it might work on catalina, but only with 64bit software and it still may be buggy. It might also be available through homebrew, but since I don't have a mac, I can't test that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back