New Found Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan 001

Ok, so I'm still very much a n00b and I finally got all my required items, 110lb Card stock, fiberglass resin, super glue, x-acto knife, cutting board(for my tables health) and everything else I needed for this little project. Now I've read pretty much ALL the tutorials and everywhere, somehow it's stated that this is difficult. I shrugged that off, watching videos and reading the tutorials made it seem all straight forward and somewhat simple. My thought process being "how hard can it be to cut, fold and glue some paper?" So I print off the low def version of the Master Chief helmet on regular paper(I wanted to make sure my sizing was right before I tore into the good stuff.) Ok, So I cut out all my pieces and part and grab a random one and begin folding. Get that done I find a piece that has a corresponding number of my first, start folding again and glue it together. Seemed simple, well I start getting more and more pieces glued together and the sh*t hits the fan. I'm super gluing myself to myself, fighting the paper to try and get this tiny part go perfectly in place(it's not working). So I take my break, come back get it done. I continue this process for about three days now and I have half the helmet done. A literal symmetrical half (minus a few parts in the front). So I say unto everyone, even the n00bs like myself who do this, and do it well: F*CK! Your awesome, and I respect you..

Also I understand the helmet is one of the hardest parts, but d*mn, just... D*mn.. I mean you people do this for "fun" (ok well, it is a little fun lol) and from the pictures I've seen around her, you do it well!

(Also, to the mods, I wasn't really sure where to post this as it does deal with a little bit of halo)

hmm.

you have pictures of the actual piece we might be able to help you out with some useful tips and such :)

You should definitely post up what you got, might help to let us know where you can improve. Just from the sounds of it I think the majority of your problems come from using regular paper instead of the cardstock. You'll have a much easier time getting the cardstock to go where you want it to go. Another problem might be the type of glue you're using. Depending on the nib on your super glue or how it comes out can definitely affect how things come together. You might want to have a go with hot glue. I find it easier to work with but you get much cleaner results with super glue.

Honestly, I just scrapped the half helmet. I got what I needed out of it(sizing works) I'll start an actual wip thread(noob section son! lol.) Until then though, thanks for offering assistance. But I do want to know, why would it be easier with the card stock? Is it the thickness that helps? Also, the super glue a decently accurate tip, it's just i have goofy fingers lol but I do think hot glue would have been my friend.

The reason for the cardstock being easier to work with is just that it keeps it's shape better so when you're folding it it folds where you want to. With regular paper you can get sags and things like that which can affect the overall shape of the prop and make it tougher to get folds to go where you want them to go.

I know how you feel I have finished 2 pepped helmets and suffered though the pain and stress of pepping. When it came to the bondoing I had a blast and loved working with it. The only reason I had trouble completing a good helm is I couldn't get a perfect pep. So to fix that I ordered stuff to make it out of clay (everything just came in today :D :D :D :D ).

I know where you've been on the glue situation, I've tried hot glue (burned myself too much), super glue (got myself stuck too damn much) and I tried school glue ( had to hold it for a while and hope it stayed in place) but if you want to know the best glue to use in my opinion is one that comes in a Black and Yellow tube 0.5 fl oz. and it's Milti-Purpose Cement which you can get from Wal-Mart in the same place they have superglue and tape at so I hope this will help you out this glue is like a cold version of hot glue to me.

Dude I feel your pain..... I thought exactly the same before I printed out my first piece, and once I started gluing things together I almost died a little bit inside because it just went all complicated and messy and all over the place! But trust me, once you get the hang of it, pepping will be a piece of cake. It just requires A LOT of patience. I think you should also start somewhere simpler than the helmet so whenever you do get to the helmet you'll be a lot more used to gluing and less confusion around. Good luck! :)

my 1st helmet looked like crap till i cut out small uneven sides and filled them with bondo filler paste then carved and carved and cut my self with the knife but practic makes ...... good enuff for your self lol :D

now im working on covering it with clay to get the fine detail and even it out more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back