New Members - Treat Us As We Treat You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah,new members should read the forums before they jump right into making a prop or asking a question.

I once was a newb and still is learning from all the stickies and threads people have posted.

I made sure to watch the orientation video and always look up stickies that i need help with. Its often faster than asking for help in a new thread, and people will probably just link you to the proper sticky. As for the member who sent you the hate mail, he needs to get his head strait.

search.gif

This little guy up there gets lonely, more people should play with him.

@Xtreme.

As a good friend of yours i do hear on msn when we're chatting about several hundred people trying to contact you at one time, may i make a suggestion to adam (sorry if that sounded rude, but it feels like a hole was enveloped in the back of my head) to automatically Direct members to the orientation video ( maybe add a bit more about reading particular sticky) once sign up is complete, and they cant access any functions until they watch it or read one sticky (Well apart from profile, but i meant like reading normal topics EVEN NOOB FORUMS), this may sound harsh but it's the only way.

Apart from that, welll said Xtreme- Well Said.

I totally agree with this thread.

but what I can't understand is that new members treat this forum like any other, or how "New" Veterans think they know the WHOLE forum, even when all they do is comment on Non-Armor related things until they reach 75 posts or something, then they make it to 400 posts in one day! especially when I've been on this forum for 2 years, they "aparently" know more than me, and cancelout all of my advice and say "I AM WRONG".

It's members like these that I hate the most. but as I stated earlier, this is NOT a common forum, this is a forum where people of the related hobbies get together and discuss techniques and builds, as well as support from others to keep going.

but more and more I see this forum start to fray at the seems. for instance: (I will not mention names)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

member A: so here's my build (pics were added) tell me how you think!

Member B(troll): this looks like Garbage, what were you trying to do? scare the birds off???

Member C(troll): wow... just wow... (member A's name), are you blind?

member D(me): hey guys, keep it respectful. I'll get a mod in here if you don't behave, BTW, nice helmet ;) keep up the good work!

Member B: I've got more posts than you Project003, you're not the boss! go (explicitive) off.

Member E: looks great.

member C: (replys to member E) wow, there's alot of blind people on this forum! :D

ME: last chance, I WILL NOT TOLLERATE disrespect to other members.

Member B: GTFO Fa***t. go kill yourself.

member C: somebody call the waaaaaaaaabulance!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Mods eventually ended this thread, and the Trolls were banned from the forum, but do you see why I hate these guys right? this forum is getting out of hand with this Troll member stuff. and it's not just the new guys that get picked on, It's me too.

I started a thread a while back about the start of my MKVI build, but since it was the week of Finals I HAD to get it off my mind, so in the thread, I stated that:

ok, so in this thread I would hope to acheive.... sorry i'm not able to posts pics just yet, so hold your horses they will be up soon, right after finals week...

the first post bashed me with insults from a veteran that had only been here since February, Insulting my work, my real job, and my social life. followed by several other members, I, again, had a Mod control the "animals" until I had pics.

THIS STUFF NEEDS TO STOP.

venting over, thanks for reading.

With LOVE,

PR0J3CT 003

Well, again, its great to see I have so many supporters.

Now, I would like to shift the subject slightly to something that will benifit both the new members, and myself.

Please read the following thread, and post a comment or vote on the subject.

Official Pepakura Scaling Thread - More Harm Then Good?

Hey everyone,

I realize I had just posted a topic a few days ago, however I believe this is one of the most revolutionary posts I will have made here on the 405th since day one…

Many of you are familiar with my crusade to annihilate all scaling question threads. Although the crusade is far from finished (and never will be finished), I figure I can always get a few steps in the right direction.

Today’s topic/rant is about the current Official Pepakura Scaling Thread.

A few months ago, it had come to my attention that a lot of members were having trouble scaling their armour, so I decided to write a quick tutorial on scaling. As many of you know, I edited that tutorial many times to include more and more information on scaling, and the different methods to scale with. After freely offering my help, I wrote an FAQ to even further help the members out there who were having trouble scaling their armour. Now I have began to help mass amounts of members from different dedicated costuming forums with scaling their armour. However, my patients have grown thin with not the members, but the original armour scaling sticky.

Approximately 4 months ago, it had came to my attention that many new members were referring to Post #7 of the Official Pepakura Scaling Thread. Despite the clear warning at the top of the guide, those members still used the guide to scale their armour. After seeing how terribly wrong their scaling went, they either posted a new question thread, or posted a question in the very thread that had lead them to such a poorly scaled armour part. This is understandable for a new member to do, however it still doesn’t justify why on earth that guide is still there to mis-guide our new members.

The pepakura files that the guide is based off of are no longer available to the public anywhere. They are also outdated. Therefore, any use of the guide with any pepakura files made by another member other then JediFraz would be pure armour-suicide.

-------------------------

The pros and cons of the guide in post #7 of the Official Pepakura Scaling Thread:

PROS:

- Works well with JediFraz’s original Pepakura files

CONS:

-Jedifraz’s original Pepakura files are no longer available to the public ANYWHERE

-Therefore rendering the guide useless to all members

-Outdated Pepakura files

-Confuses new members

-Therefore leading to mis-scaled armour parts, stress, and for those less-patient members, quitting

-Causes me to help even more members then I should have to help if the guide was no longer there

Now, onto the Official Pepakura Scaling Thread itself.

Although there is a fair wealth of information buried in the 31 pages of questions and answers, no member in their right mind will sift through that to get an answer. I admit I would even post a new topic or ask the question in that thread considering the amount of questions and posts in there. Its purely suicidal.

The pros and cons of the Official Pepakura Scaling Thread:

PROS:

-Wealth of information

-Good place to post scaling questions

CONS:

-Too much information to sift through

-Too many questions, and too few answers

-Much of the information in the thread is now outdated and useless

-Nobody in their right mind would sift through more then 5 pages of the 31 page thread for their answer

Finally, onto my proposal.

Simply un-sticky the thread and let it sink to the bottom of the barrel. Members will no longer have to sift through the thread for an answer that they will probably never find anyway. It’s a time saver, a bandwidth saver, and overall and stress saver for me any a lot of other members.

I know it is hard for me to express my stress with that particular sticky over the internet, but I think everybody would benefit if we simply stickied a scaling tutorial that actually guided people through scaling, and really answered everybody’s questions. Believe me, while writing this thread I was very tempted to step on a lot of peoples toes about this topic. I have waited very patiently for this to come to fruition, but despite me contacting a few moderators and Adam, nothing has happened yet.

I am sure this would be for the greater good of the 405th, and I know there is a better thread/tutorial we can sticky that will actually help people out there.

Vote what you think at the top of the page, or voice your opinion by leaving a comment. Hopefully the proper decision will be made by the Administration and moderation staff of the 405th.

This is the one argument I have wanted to post for a LONG time, and I would LOVE it if what I ask for is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can feel a little bit of your aggravation since i used to make forums all the time and there were lots of people asking for this and that. I agree with you all 100% and hope we can end this string of disrespectful people on the forums. I am not saying getting rid of them entirely since we all know that that would be impossible but we can at least lessen the amount.

I always was in awe at all of you older members when i found this site and started learning all that i can. Cause you all make things so easy for use new members to find and it is always full of information that works, and most of the time different methods on how to do it as well!

So thank you all who help those of us who wish to build our own cool looking suits and i hope that disrespect can soon be lessened. I put as much respect in talking with each and everyone of you when i do and i hope that it helps you all with the questions knowing that there are members on here who really wish for the information and are very thankful to you for giving it with kindness in your words.

~Lorenzo

Shadowshail

@Xtremes last post:

This is a very valid point and should be mentioned to adam sometime since everyone complains about the Pep and CB prop forum being sticky crowded and they wonder why? Well it's because of outdated and old stickys that have been inproved and made more convienient but because of this bundle of stickys is put on hold for months on the "To Sticky List", The mods should consider revising on this heavily.

Ps. This is my 845th post, man i am advancing heavily and no i dont comment completely irrevelant posts. So there is no secret/.

Xtreme as a new member I must thank you. I'm currently on my own working on the armor for my movie and your scaling guide has been a God send! Also thanks to all the members, moderators, and staff that keep the 405th an easy place for the FNG such as myself able to find what we need to learn! Thanks!

Tactics, first off, thank you for bringing up this important topic!

I'm sorry that you are plagued with so many questions every day (I had no idea there were so many). If it helps to lighten the load, feel free to refer any of their questions to me at any time and I'll happily answer the question(s) to the best of my ability.

Also, do know that the anonymous modeler sure appreciates that your model request was a pristine example of how one should be: respectful and descriptive while containing adequate reference images so that the modeler doesn't have to spend fifteen minutes trying to Google what you ask for. Not that I have any clue who that modeler may be, but I bet he'd be more than happy to take care of anything else you might need. It's the least he could do for such a hard-working forum member

Thanks for another great topic,

Nightshade

Yes, we have to understand, new members are excited, and ready to dive in immediately. They're so excited that they don't take the time to read everything. Almost all new members are like that. If we don't welcome them with open arms, and warm words of encouragement, they'll never be able to flourish. We've even upset some very very big VIP type members before.

I agree I was like that and probally most of the senior members were when they joined but we settled down and decided to learn. A few weeks ago Xtream was helping me scale. At one point in time I thought I angered him so I apologized. He said it was ok and he delt with worse whitch I find terriable. Also If there was a timer on the new account thing for a few hours or so to make sure the read and watch toutorials.
One last thing there needs to be new people learning how to scale as well as Xtream so he dosent get flooded with messages.

Thats all I have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back