New Recruit Armor Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

uttay44

Hello all!

I'm a first time builder and I'm about to finish my first set of armor, and I have a few questions to ask before I finish!

1) What is the best material to use for the helmet? I'm building my armor out of EVA foam, and I'm worried that it will be too thick for the helmet!

2) What does everyone use as their under suit? I've been looking at morphsuits. Is that the way to go?

3) Does anyone use any Velcro or anything of that sort to keep the armor secure on the under suit?

4) What kind of paint should I use? Should I put any primer over the Plastidip before I paint it? Should I apply a clear coat after all the painting?

This is all I have for now. Thanks for the help!

Uttay44

Welcome to the 405th.

Judging after reading your questions, you haven't actually done any or little reading.
I recommend you to just take some time and actually read through forums, google and watch some videos.
Then you won't only have all these questions answered but you'll also gain more - knowledge.

hello!, obviously im a new recruit, i want to built a star wars tie fighet helmet and yes, i've done a lot of reading, I aleady have the pepakura designer but my question isn't in the FAQ, so here i go: when I print the helmet the ID numbers on some edges are too big and cover the lines where i should cut the paper, is there any way to make them smaller? i already tried changing the set up but the smaller font size is 4 and yet is too big... that's all for now, thanks!

1) What is the best material to use for the helmet? I'm building my armor out of EVA foam, and I'm worried that it will be too thick for the helmet!
If you have the means to do so, I would recommend the Pepakura and fibreglass process for helmets. Body armour using foam is relatively straightforward, but helmets are the single most intricate and critical piece of your whole costume - use the best materials to get it spot-on.

2) What does everyone use as their under suit? I've been looking at morphsuits. Is that the way to go?
Morphsuits can work, certainly. Custom work is also fine, and some people use motorcycle armour as well.

3) Does anyone use any Velcro or anything of that sort to keep the armor secure on the under suit?
Velcro is fine, though most people tend to use straps more like a harness.

4) What kind of paint should I use? Should I put any primer over the Plastidip before I paint it? Should I apply a clear coat after all the painting?
Standard spray paint should work, once you've used Plastidip. As for a clear coat: I wouldn't advise it.

hello!, obviously im a new recruit, i want to built a star wars tie fighet helmet and yes, i've done a lot of reading, I aleady have the pepakura designer but my question isn't in the FAQ, so here i go: when I print the helmet the ID numbers on some edges are too big and cover the lines where i should cut the paper, is there any way to make them smaller? i already tried changing the set up but the smaller font size is 4 and yet is too big... that's all for now, thanks!

Please don't hijack another person's thread to ask a question. However: you can alter the font size down lower than 4 by typing in the number that you like.

If you have the means to do so, I would recommend the Pepakura and fibreglass process for helmets. Body armour using foam is relatively straightforward, but helmets are the single most intricate and critical piece of your whole costume - use the best materials to get it spot-on.

Morphsuits can work, certainly. Custom work is also fine, and some people use motorcycle armour as well.

Velcro is fine, though most people tend to use straps more like a harness.

Standard spray paint should work, once you've used Plastidip. As for a clear coat: I wouldn't advise it.

Please don't hijack another person's thread to ask a question. However: you can alter the font size down lower than 4 by typing in the number that you like.

Thanks! Are there any tutorials you recommend for the fiberglass helmet making? What do you believe is the cheapest way to build it?

Thanks! Are there any tutorials you recommend for the fiberglass helmet making?

There are plenty here on the forums, but I would suggest looking at Cereal Kill3r's Youtube tutorials. His work is almost second to none.

What do you believe is the cheapest way to build it?

Cheap? Foam. Decent, hard-wearing and high-quality? Fibreglass and Pepakura, every time. As I said, foam will do the job for armour, but helmets really benefit from some time, care, and attention to detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back