New to 3d Printing (EOD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan 0022

So I am new to 3D printing, and I would like to do my first big print as an EOD helmet from Reach. Ive found some pretty good models for free, but also some more detailed ones for actual money.

So my first question is, which helmet would be better/easier to print.

The final one is my personal favorite, but I don't know if Im willing to pay 30 bucks for some files. The second one is my runner up, but it seems like some people have had issuses with it.

And final question, For head sizing, should I do an extra inch or two for pads/space, or should I leave them mostly unchanged. Or in other words, should it be hugging my head, or a decent amount of wobble room?

Welcome to the 405th! I can vouch for at least three of those models you've shown (moesizzlac, AguilarWorkshop and NerdForge), because I know they break down their files for easier printing, and the people behind them are willing to help - unfortunately that doesn't help you narrow it down. Jace's files do look good too, but it seems there's some pinching in places that should be smoother.

When scaling your helmet, you will want a little bit of extra room for padding, and probably fans too as it can get toasty inside, which can also lead to the visor fogging up. I recommend printing a horizontal cross section of the helmet at around the ears to test how much room there would be inside.

On top of that, there's a program called Armorsmith which allows you to create an avatar of yourself based on dimensions you input, and you can load in models and scale them to fit you. One feature it has is to visually split models so you can see how much room is around your head.

Welcome to the 405th! I can vouch for at least three of those models you've shown (moesizzlac, AguilarWorkshop and NerdForge), because I know they break down their files for easier printing, and the people behind them are willing to help - unfortunately that doesn't help you narrow it down. Jace's files do look good too, but it seems there's some pinching in places that should be smoother.

When scaling your helmet, you will want a little bit of extra room for padding, and probably fans too as it can get toasty inside, which can also lead to the visor fogging up. I recommend printing a horizontal cross section of the helmet at around the ears to test how much room there would be inside.

On top of that, there's a program called Armorsmith which allows you to create an avatar of yourself based on dimensions you input, and you can load in models and scale them to fit you. One feature it has is to visually split models so you can see how much room is around your head.
Thanks! I poked around a bit through the forums and the general consensus about the files was the same. I’ll try armorsmith, and for the pads, are there any that are good, but not super thick (just a material type?)

Thanks! I poked around a bit through the forums and the general consensus about the files was the same. I’ll try armorsmith, and for the pads, are there any that are good, but not super thick (just a material type?)
Generally upholstery foam is a good way to go, as it's a good balance between being soft and comfortable but also firm enough to hold it in place around your head. Some people have ordered padding that goes into airsoft helmets, which would likely be the same thing, but cut into small sections and wrapped in fabric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back