New to 405th and EVA foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Andrew dft have a good video on halo 3 armor building?
I don't believe so.
he has a really popular template for an odst or beginners but its not super accurate. he has some really good files and templates but his youtube channel doesn't have anything that specific... you can look but not that I remember. angelegend is great, but I think the best way to go is just doing it.

Really happy with how this turned out for a complete free hand build, not to mention my first Eva foam creation. So cool holding such an iconic pistol from a game I've always loved. This thing got shot a lot today, notice the bronze gunshot residue around the muzzle break!

20181023_192315.jpg

20181023_192355.jpg

20181023_192422.jpg

20181023_192502.jpg

20181023_192535.jpg

20181023_192614.jpg

I would look at the dimensions for the armor when you pull it up. all of my recruit armor individual pieces were perfect as it was, and so was my reach recon helmet. the halo 3 turret was scaled perfectly. the only thing that I have done out of his spreadsheet that wasn't scaled correctly was the halo 4/5 knife, and that was game accurate so it was huge. maybe a third to double the size it should be. it was longer than the length of my helmet.

Just an update on the scaling of the H3 armor from Prezel. It's full size chief scale, definitely having to spend time scaling it down. I had to separate some of the pieces in designer also to make it come together easier too.

That pistol was your first foam build? Holy canoli! Well done!

That pistol was your first foam build? Holy canoli! Well done!
Thanks man! I didn't use any templates or anything as I just wanted to test foam building techniques. Built it entirely free hand to practice for building my h3 armor. Just built my first forearm and really happy with how that came out

Built my first shoulder plate, turnEd out really well. Just a little trick I'd like to share too. I reinforce all of my seams with Shoe Goo. It is insane how strong it is. Yes it's more expensive than using hot glue, 100x stronger. I've used this stuff for years on other things and I'm always impressed with it. Turns out, it bonds very well with Eva foam as well and makes seams indestructible! I guess a lot of shoes are made from foam.. so makes sense!

20181104_094825.jpg

20181104_094847.jpg

20181103_184047.jpg

This is looking incredibly wicked so far! I'm aspiring to start my plan and get my undersuit done before I do the armor. Right now I'm trying to figure out what size of EVA foam I should be using, and which foam will hold up the longest / ease of work.
Any suggestions? (Mainly on the thickness, not sure if 1/8" or 1/4" would be better.)

This is looking incredibly wicked so far! I'm aspiring to start my plan and get my undersuit done before I do the armor. Right now I'm trying to figure out what size of EVA foam I should be using, and which foam will hold up the longest / ease of work.
Any suggestions? (Mainly on the thickness, not sure if 1/8" or 1/4" would be better.)
It's all about preference. I use the 1/4th square mats because they are probably the cheapest, and fastest/most convenient way to get them for me. I think 1/8th is too thin, but others like it. The thicker it is the last flimsy. In wise of life time, the EVA foam are mostly the same, just depends on how abusive you are to the foam. Just look at impact props master chief from living with chief! That thing is still standing well and it has been drug on the ground, fallen off of a motorcycle, been in the ocean, went skydiving, and has been wrestled in. It's still perfect(wherever it is....).

Thanks man for all the support! Check out my link to see updated pics of my build so far! H3 Chief Armor - Build Progress

I have been using 10mm foam and love it for the smaller pieces like arms and shoulders. I'm going to use 1/2 for the legs and torso. As far as your undersuit, man I'd really like to see what you have planned. Which suit are you planning to build from which game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back