New to 405th and EVA foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is looking incredibly wicked so far! I'm aspiring to start my plan and get my undersuit done before I do the armor. Right now I'm trying to figure out what size of EVA foam I should be using, and which foam will hold up the longest / ease of work.
Any suggestions? (Mainly on the thickness, not sure if 1/8" or 1/4" would be better.)

Red Moon Cosplay Solutions which is local to you Alberta folks currently has a sale on EVA of all densities and thicknesses so this is a pretty good time to jump in. For main body panels I like either 8mm or 10mm thickness and 2mm for detail layered on top of one of those. Their 100kg EVA is awesome and I highly recommend it. The 65kg is similar to what you'd find in most of the jigsaw floormats you'd find at a hardware store but theirs has no added texture on the back which is helpful.

Red Moon Cosplay Solutions which is local to you Alberta folks currently has a sale on EVA of all densities and thicknesses so this is a pretty good time to jump in. For main body panels I like either 8mm or 10mm thickness and 2mm for detail layered on top of one of those. Their 100kg EVA is awesome and I highly recommend it. The 65kg is similar to what you'd find in most of the jigsaw floormats you'd find at a hardware store but theirs has no added texture on the back which is helpful.

Daang! This is awesome! Thank you so much for bringing this to light, I'll have to see if I can fit this into my monthly budget. This year was sort of rough so I have no clue if I could even optimize the sale, again though thanks. This is definitely what I'll be getting more than likely, either now if I can afford it. Or after once I figure out, plan, and finish making my underlayer.

Thanks man for all the support! Check out my link to see updated pics of my build so far! H3 Chief Armor - Build Progress

I have been using 10mm foam and love it for the smaller pieces like arms and shoulders. I'm going to use 1/2 for the legs and torso. As far as your undersuit, man I'd really like to see what you have planned. Which suit are you planning to build from which game?

My duuuude that looks so freaking siick!! @_@ *drool*, I've been thinking on a compression longsleeve and tight, however I reaally would like to just get it in one piece so nobody sees the underlayer as two. Then just taking like stretchy fabric... ooor stuff with hexes on it and then adding it to strategic locations to make it look all purty. Gonna do something with the neckseal for sure, a sort of compilation of styles I've been looking at so far. I do want to add the sort of spiney bits on the lower and mid back, not sure how to go about that yet though... maybe a little to the front abdominal region too.

My suit... uuhh, it's going to be a huge mishmash of things. I'm going to try to make it like I've had it in all the Halo games I've played over my years in multiplayer. So I'm going to have alot to think about, and alot to throw into it xD.

It's all about preference. I use the 1/4th square mats because they are probably the cheapest, and fastest/most convenient way to get them for me. I think 1/8th is too thin, but others like it. The thicker it is the last flimsy. In wise of life time, the EVA foam are mostly the same, just depends on how abusive you are to the foam. Just look at impact props master chief from living with chief! That thing is still standing well and it has been drug on the ground, fallen off of a motorcycle, been in the ocean, went skydiving, and has been wrestled in. It's still perfect(wherever it is....).

Thanks for the input! I'll keep that in mind for sure as I'm thinking about the final plan for what I'm going to do with the armor. I watched abit of that just awhile ago... I'm really reaaally impressed that thing has stood up against that much abuse.

Sorry for the long reply & quoting, I know this is your thread ExCeLLuR8 and it isn't quite totally on topic. I'm just excited and don't wanna be rude and not reply to peeps hah.

Daang! This is awesome! Thank you so much for bringing this to light, I'll have to see if I can fit this into my monthly budget. This year was sort of rough so I have no clue if I could even optimize the sale, again though thanks. This is definitely what I'll be getting more than likely, either now if I can afford it. Or after once I figure out, plan, and finish making my underlayer.

My duuuude that looks so freaking siick!! @_@ *drool*, I've been thinking on a compression longsleeve and tight, however I reaally would like to just get it in one piece so nobody sees the underlayer as two. Then just taking like stretchy fabric... ooor stuff with hexes on it and then adding it to strategic locations to make it look all purty. Gonna do something with the neckseal for sure, a sort of compilation of styles I've been looking at so far. I do want to add the sort of spiney bits on the lower and mid back, not sure how to go about that yet though... maybe a little to the front abdominal region too.

My suit... uuhh, it's going to be a huge mishmash of things. I'm going to try to make it like I've had it in all the Halo games I've played over my years in multiplayer. So I'm going to have alot to think about, and alot to throw into it xD.

Thanks for the input! I'll keep that in mind for sure as I'm thinking about the final plan for what I'm going to do with the armor. I watched abit of that just awhile ago... I'm really reaaally impressed that thing has stood up against that much abuse.

Sorry for the long reply & quoting, I know this is your thread ExCeLLuR8 and it isn't quite totally on topic. I'm just excited and don't wanna be rude and not reply to peeps hah.

Thank you so much man for the positive feedback! I'm going at this 100% and won't stop till the suit looks like it's plucked straight from the game. Halo 3 has always been my favorite of all of them and I figured I would just got for the chief look. I considered my multiplayer look from back I'm the day but I want peoplease to recognize the suit as master chief even if they don't play the games. No worries on commenting on my thread! Feel free to man I encourage it! We're all here to help each other learn and be our very best. There is so much experience on this forum, I really enjoy the positive atmosphere of it.

Awesome man thanks for this source! They have a lot of electronic stuff on there too. I'm looking at adding in all the suit lights eventually too but not quite sure on how I will wire up yet. I'd like to have 1 switch for everything running power to each limb light then have plug connectors to join each piece of the suit together having one central USB power bank to power leds. I'll get it figured out eventually.

Awesome man thanks for this source! They have a lot of electronic stuff on there too. I'm looking at adding in all the suit lights eventually too but not quite sure on how I will wire up yet. I'd like to have 1 switch for everything running power to each limb light then have plug connectors to join each piece of the suit together having one central USB power bank to power leds. I'll get it figured out eventually.

If you need a hand figuring out electronics my suit is powered in a way that's similar to what you're aiming for. One central power bank to power LEDs, Arduino and fans. It's a mess of wires to work out initially but is quite easy to hook together with a friend helping out when getting into the suit.

If you need a hand figuring out electronics my suit is powered in a way that's similar to what you're aiming for. One central power bank to power LEDs, Arduino and fans. It's a mess of wires to work out initially but is quite easy to hook together with a friend helping out when getting into the suit.
Yes I would be very interested in your setup for sure! I'm certainly not new to electrical work at as that is part of what I do for a living. But getting in the right direction would certainly help as far what all works best. Perhaps maybe a hand drawn schematic of some sort? probably the part I'm most worried about, getting plastic lenses for all the lights so it actually looks like the lights in the game. I appreciate all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back