New to Costuming

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourthFloor

Hi, as the title says, I'm brand new to the idea of costuming (don't even own an xacto knife), but it's something I've wanted to try for a while and I'm finally at a place in my life where I think I can get started.

I just have one question: about how long does it take to complete a set of armor? There is an convention I'd like to attend in three months and I thought it would be cool to have a costume ready for it by then, but I don't know if that's realistic. Any insight would be very appreciated!

It can take anywhere from a month to a year or more, it depends on skill level and how much time you can dedicate to building your costume. I'd say you could easily meet your goal of 3 months. I'm about done with my Prefect armor and it has only taken a month to do. With you being completely new to this, you are going to have a bit of a learning curve and it's going to be tough at first, but once you get the hang of it the costume starts to come together real fast. Usually when people start to get into this I recommend trying out both Hard and Soft building (Fiberglass and Foam) to figure out which style better suits them and their needs. I'd be happy to help get you started in the right direction.

Since you are new to costuming one of the best things you can do is do your homework. Soak as much information as you can by reading, watching tutorial vids, more reading, some more vids and then just to play it safe... read some more.
There are plenty of tutorials and threads here in the forums of people builds with which can pick up some tasty tid bits of knowledge. I don't have any experience with pepakura but for foam I recommend watching YouTube vids from EvilTed and Punished Props.

Thank you for the response! I'm so glad to hear that, I was really worried I was setting myself up for the impossible. At the moment, I'm leaning more towards foam. I'm not entirely opposed to fiberglass, but some of the steps seem somewhat intimidating and I wouldn't want to get halfway through a project and then get stuck on something. As I said though, I'm open to the idea. Any tips you have at all would be a big help right now! I'm looking up tutorials and guides as much as I can, but there's so much information out there that it's difficult to know where to begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back