New Unfolded Patterns For Smoother Pep Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mroreo123

Basically, I set out to teach myself Pepakura Designer. I also wanted to streamline the process of cutting and folding by minimizing both to create the smoothest possible models with a minimum of parts and creases.

For example, the original:

th_MkVI-Robogenesis-Original.jpg

And the new version:

th_MkVI-Robogenesis-MrOreo123Unfold.jpg

And the pep build (this was pepped from an older version than above, hence the slight differences):

th_IMG_1437.jpg

Robogenesis was gracious enough to let me post my mods of his pep files. The most up-to-date versions will be here in the first post. Enjoy!

Since I may not have pepped my latest versions, please give me your feedback and let me know how your builds turn out.

EDIT: A note about scaling: The scaling formulas for Robo's files still work, but I pre-scaled these files down to my size. I'm 5'8" tall, so I added an additional 2" to my height (for padding and such) to give an overall build height of 70" which is what they are scaled at. However, I have a big head, so the helmet is scaled to 77 which fits me nicely.

==================================================

Lo-Def Files

MKVI_Helmet_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123.pdo (Updated 4/8/2009) NOTE: If you're going to build a lo-def helmet, I HIGHLY recommend my revision of DF4L's helmet instead of this one.

MKVI_Pelvis_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123_v1.pdo (Uploaded 4/4/2009)

MKVI_Chest_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123.pdo (Uploaded 4/7/2009)

MKVI_Left_HandPlate_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123.pdo (Uploaded 4/5/2009)

MKVI_Right_HandPlate_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123.pdo (Uploaded 4/5/2009)

MKVI_Left_Forearm_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123.pdo (Updated 4/3/2009)

MKVI_Right_Forearm_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123.pdo (Updated 4/5/2009)

MKVI_Left_Bicep_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123_v2_beta.pdo (Updated 4/3/2009)

MKVI_Right_Bicep_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123.pdo (Uploaded 4/5/2009)

MKVI_Left_Cuisse_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123_v1.pdo (Uploaded 4/4/2009)

MKVI_Right_Cuisse_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123.pdo (Uploaded 4/6/2009)

MKVI_Left_Greave_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123_v1.pdo (Uploaded 4/4/2009)

MKVI_Right_Greave_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123.pdo (Uploaded 4/6/2009)

MKVI_Left_Boot_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123_v1.pdo (Uploaded 4/5/2009)

MKVI_Right_Boot_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123.pdo (Uploaded 4/5/2009)

Hi-Def Files

DF4L Helmet:

MKVI_HD_HELM_DF4L (Unfolded by MrOreo123) version 2.pdo

Full credit goes to DanniFood4Less for the original model. I only re-unfolded it.

th_IMG_1436.jpg

th_IMG_1435.jpg

Crackhead09's new HD Shin:

New Shin Left by Crackhead09 Unfolded by MrOreo123 v5 (smooth).pdo (PD3 - Uploaded 8/24/2009)

New Shin Left by Crackhead09 Unfolded by MrOreo123 v5 (smooth) PD2.pdo (PD2 - Uploaded 8/24/2009)

MKVI_HD_SHOULDER_LEFT_ROBOGENESIS_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123_v2 (PD3 - Uploaded 10/5/2009)

HDThighLeftbycrackhead09_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123_v3.pdo (PD3 - Uploaded 10/17/2009)

HDThighRightbycrackhead09_Unfolded_by_MrOreo123_v3.pdo (PD3 - Uploaded 10/17/2009)

HD Right Hand Plate by Robogenisis Unfolded by MrOreo123.pdo

HD Left Hand Plate by Robogenisis Unfolded by MrOreo123.pdo

Iron Man Helmet by Dungbeetle (Per Dungbeetle, this is a 405th exclusive. Please do not repost this anywhere else.)

Dungbeetle Ironman Unfolded by MrOreo123 v4 (Colored).pdo

What makes this unfold unique is that normally, this helmet is in 3 pieces, but since many of the joints overlap, I removed the extraneous pieces and arranged the tabs so they glue together into 1 piece. Keep in mind that as a result, you'll be gluing some tabs that don't have corresponding numbers. This is also color-coded so black dashes are mountain folds, green dashes are valley folds, and gray dashes (tabs) you glue flat.

th_DungbeetleIronmanUnfoldedbyMrOre-1.jpg

Halo: Reach Helmet by Rundown

Reach Helmet without Top by Rundown unfolded by MrOreo123 v1.pdo

th_ReachHelmetUnfoldv1.jpg

Halo: Reach Chest by Rundown

Reach Chest by Rundown Unfolded by MrOreo123 v2.pdo

th_ReachChestUnfold.jpg

Halo: Reach Ab Plate by Rundown

Reach Ab Plate by Rundown unfolded by MrOreo123 v1.pdo

Halo Wars Shin by Rundown

Halo Wars Calf by Rundown unfolded by MrOreo123 v1.pdo I guess I forgot to add this when I unfolded it. Oops. :)

Very nice. I've fooled around with some of the settings to try and accomplish the same thing but never really took it anywhere. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out in the bondo stage.

UNSC_Leatherneck said:
Very nice. I've fooled around with some of the settings to try and accomplish the same thing but never really took it anywhere. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out in the bondo stage.

The new model looks very nice. Please post pictures of it after you apply resin to it since I'm interested in seeing how well it holds its form when the paper is wet.

Last edited by a moderator:
UNSC_Leatherneck said:
That's what I started off doing at first, too. But then I discovered you can erase/hide individual lines or paint them back in. I got MUCH better results that way and a lot more control over what stays flat and what gets a crease.

EDIT:
Finished and pepped the left forearm. The file link is posted above.
IMG_1442.jpg

So.. its a smoother model right?

is this to make it easier to build.. to make better detail... umm? hm? lol

Nice work mate, as already said Im looking forward to the resin stage to see how it can keep its form. Also what paper weight are you using??

Sneblot said:
Nice work mate, as already said Im looking forward to the resin stage to see how it can keep its form. Also what paper weight are you using??
I'm using pretty standard 110lb card stock.

Ampix0 said:
So.. its a smoother model right?

is this to make it easier to build.. to make better detail... umm? hm? lol
Yes and no. It's easier to cut due to the pieces being larger because many of the little ones have been combined. Some areas, however, are a little trickier to pep because you're gluing on a curve rather than a bunch of flat areas.

I hid many of the fold lines because most of those areas want to be flat anyway. This makes it easier to pep and has the added benefit of being smoother overall. You're also going to save time because you're scoring a fraction of the number folds as the originals. If you're just using my pep files for size testers, this this will help speed things along because who wants to spend all day scoring and folding a size tester? ;)

And as for your last question, it doesn't have any more detail than the originals, because I haven't modified the actual 3d model in any way. It just LOOKS higher res because they have curves rather than large flat areas.

Masterful work. If you plan on doing a full suit this way, I think I'll wait for that before I start on my own MC. I can't wait to see more.

whats the diffrance with the left forarm and the other one you did? I pepped that one out today and it turned out nice. now i guess i can make my way to the right arm.

kasper said:
whats the diffrance with the left forarm and the other one you did? I pepped that one out today and it turned out nice. now i guess i can make my way to the right arm.
You don't need to redo the left forearm if you already pepped it. The differences are minor. I tweaked where a couple parts joined on that elbow horn thing and maybe one or two other things like fold lines.

Optimus Rhyme said:
I'm printing the helmet out now. It looks great so far. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks for the work MrOreo.
Thanks, please do and post pics. I haven't pepped my latest Robo helmet yet, so it'll be nice to see someone else's results and get some feedback.

Haha, my girlfriend is working on a MC set right now. She's already PEPed most of the pieces. She's gonna kill me when I show her this stuff.

Malechei said:
Haha, my girlfriend is working on a MC set right now. She's already PEPed most of the pieces. She's gonna kill me when I show her this stuff.
Yeah, I saw that on your thread. You guys are off to a nice start though. You can tell her it'll mean less Bondo'ing later if she wants to tackle a new one. :)

EDIT:
Left bicep uploaded. I haven't pepped this one myself yet, so I'm not sure how well it will build. Let me know how well it works out for you guys. (I still haven't made my own right forearm yet.)

I love this stuff i have pepped and fiberglassed both foramrs. only problem is i think they are too small. if they are and someone wants them there not perfect yet but id be willing to trade for them they are 26.4cm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back