newb suit maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

cell

So here I am, new as hell, don't know what I'm doing. Can't afford the resin fiberglass approach, have read all the stickies and the rants of pepakura and cardboard etc. I dl'd pepakura, and ran some of the suit prints which I find awesome, but I lack a printer. Tried so very hard to zoom in onto the angels in pepa. and apply them on the cardboard and its a difficult approach. So I'm doing this old school.
Fact of the matter is I'm struck by some of these suits on here and I needed to start one now. Even though Halloween is just around the corner, this is not for that. I just want the pleasure of this suit. Go grocery shopping in it, ride around on my cbr with it. You get my drift.

Spent the last 30 minutes whipping this guy into shape. Cardboard helm as my first step. Yea I suck.. but it will be badass!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/mav.../Photo-0247.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/mav.../Photo-0250.jpg

Its a rough, will need alot of work, spackle, paint, etc .. but I thought I'd share.

Flame, complain, or discuss.. anyways thanks for viewing :)

cell said:
So here I am, new as hell, don't know what I'm doing. Can't afford the resin fiberglass approach, have read all the stickies and the rants of pepakura and cardboard etc. I dl'd pepakura, and ran some of the suit prints which I find awesome, but I lack a printer. Tried so very hard to zoom in onto the angels in pepa. and apply them on the cardboard and its a difficult approach. So I'm doing this old school.
Fact of the matter is I'm struck by some of these suits on here and I needed to start one now. Even though Halloween is just around the corner, this is not for that. I just want the pleasure of this suit. Go grocery shopping in it, ride around on my cbr with it. You get my drift.

Spent the last 30 minutes whipping this guy into shape. Cardboard helm as my first step. Yea I suck.. but it will be badass!

Its a rough, will need alot of work, spackle, paint, etc .. but I thought I'd share.

Better than no Helmet... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
You could use poster boards wich is sort of like card board but the top is smooth.Right now im done with everything but spartan chest and back.I printed out the peices and now im tracing it on some poster boards and cut them out and put them together for a more sturdy hold.

I've already started the chest today.

As for the helm its almost done, some slight spackle on the sides and deep grooves, but here is a pic before the spackle. I did add some detail on the top of the helm, as well as a smaller back-neck portion which are not featured here.

I'll be using the conventional m.c. green for the suit color, as for the visor I have a few extra bike helmet visors and I had gotten the idea from another thread about melting the outline out.

Although its a cardboard suit, if layered right, and the angles are even, it can have a lot of integrity.

My l33t noob cardboard skills :p

Photo-0258.jpg

cell said:
I've already started the chest today.

As for the helm its almost done, some slight spackle on the sides and deep grooves, but here is a pic before the spackle. I did add some detail on the top of the helm, as well as a smaller back-neck portion which are not featured here.

I'll be using the conventional m.c. green for the suit color, as for the visor I have a few extra bike helmet visors and I had gotten the idea from another thread about melting the outline out.

Although its a cardboard suit, if layered right, and the angles are even, it can have a lot of integrity.

My l33t noob cardboard skills :p

Photo-0258.jpg
Awesome, keep up the great job remember to prime before painting with automotive primer from rust-oeum i'd go with a mid range gloss semi dark green then a mild light brownish green to tone the paints finish clear coating it is optional.. Great job on the helm!!!!

UNSC Certified said:
Awesome, keep up the great job remember to prime before painting with automotive primer from rust-oeum i'd go with a mid range gloss semi dark green then a mild light brownish green to tone the paints finish clear coating it is optional.. Great job on the helm!!!!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be doing the the primer before i add the final layer. My final color was already dark forest green. Perhaps I should two tone it dark forrest/brown green for a better worn effect. I will also be applying clear.

Here is the chest, half way in the making, don't laugh at me. ;)

chest-harness004.jpg

chest-harness003.jpg

actually, the helmet isnt that bad, and the chest is really good.the helmet is awsome though, cause it curves in the back and most people dont make it do that

It was only after a lot of gutting and remodeling until the final fit of the helm was right. The back is flush with the back of my head and neck. Sorry for the quality of these pics. I'm using my phone's camera. I wish the depth and detail can be seen, but here is a preview anyway.

Photo-0281.jpg

Photo-0280.jpg

I figure this is not the exact scheme of MC, it has some major different characteristics yet I feel with the color scheme it will look up to par.

I'd like to point out something I read on another post on here, I do not remember which though. The guy was using pepakura and he was explaining how tempting it was to remove the structure where the visor is, but afterwards it will give your helm 'fat-headi-nitis' or something, lol. Anyways he's right. Until I put the temporary piece in for the visor (which you see), the helm would drop in and the side would bulge out unfashionably.

crazybunny said:
actually, the helmet isnt that bad, and the chest is really good.the helmet is awsome though, cause it curves in the back and most people dont make it do that

its looking cool

However it looks I'm trying. The finish is where it will all come together. I'm adding my own touch in detail, mainy due to the fact I cannot get it exact. Thanks for your feedback everyone.. even though this is 'just another noob making an attempt at a cardboard box'

doesn't look accurate, but that slick top looks slick, I like it.

It is like a racing helmet because it looks fast.

I like it, its great. You said you couldn't afford fiberglass,but you might try paper mache if you want. You know you mix elmers glue with water and use old paper (like newspaper). Just an idea, I'm thinking of trying that on my first costume. unfortunately I haven't finished assembling mine yet. Anyway, good luck.

cell said:

dude i am in that same ship
i cant do crap
i am still trying to figure out the technics these ppl use if anyone could help me pm me seriously i need help and i always wanted to strole in a spartan suit
so pm me plzzz

Slowly coming along. I have not been updating my progress, too much to do. Might do a tutorial if the end result proves it needs one. I'll let you guys decide.

This is where I am at so far.

chest-harness006.jpg

chest-harness005.jpg

So far so good.

Slowly..

(btw.. these parts fit flush onto my body, tailor suited to me. How you see it here is exactly how it will sit on me.)

Not looking forward to the lower limbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back