Newish of sorts. Why im here of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been on here in awhile, a bit busy. Anyways, I did my shoulder piece/right bicep. Thing is WAY to big. why is this? Cuz I checked and re-checked on my size for it..... o_O . Like the bicep muscle shield part sticks way far out, and hangs off my arm really loosely, and is really long too.

Its frustrating, and kinda put me off on making my armor for awhile.

???

Nicktendo said:
Just don't go throwing it around, and you should be fine, heh.
Yeah, I think it's actually easier to cut up the fiberglass cloth into smaller pieces and lay them in there than trying to work with one big one. whatever works for you though.
I would hope it does. Most of the pep files here now are done based off the in-game models. The detailing stage though, that's all up to you.
The scaling is kind of up in the air. Each modeler has their own method (kind of) but what I recommend is going with Robogenisis' method. With his pieces, you just apply your height (in inches) into the "Scale" and it will give you a piece sized pretty dang perfectly. But the only way to make sure is to do the size-testers (or lox-def models) first. If the model isn't by Robo, (like the FS torso and helmet) what I do is scale the corresponding Robo model to what it would be, copy the "Assembled Height," and apply that to whatever other artist's model I'm doing.

As for the full suit done by one modeler, I don't know. I don't think it matters, because like I said before, they use the in-game model as a base, and use in-game references to add the detail. But scaling them like I told you above should eliminate the scaling issue. (But make size testers to be sure!)
Hey, that seems like a good method!

Also, to the man who started this thread (sorry forgot your name ;d)
I know what you mean when you say some of the armor looks funny.
How good it looks depends on the builder.
The skill level, how they want it to look etc.
Really I think the problem with most is the paint job.
You could have really good looking stuff, but when it has a bright, glossy color it just doesn't look right to me.
I think it looks better if you either use a solid/metallic color, but again this is just my opinion.
Good luck on your armor!

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, you didn't read this thread did you?

I haven't painted anything yet, nor have I even started on my final armor. I was just asking about my scaling. It'll be far before I start painting.

Nicktendo, anyone?

Pictures would help. :p

But, I assume you just did the size tester. That's ok. We've all made a few tester pieces that don't fit. That's WHY we make the tester.

But the biceps, both low and hi-def, are from Robogenisis. So with either one, you should just be able to input your height in inches as the scale, and that should give you a good starting point. Before you even start building, take a look at what the assembled height will be, and if that seems waaaaay off, try another scale.

It really is hit and miss sometimes.

But again, pics would help.

EDIT: I just read your past post about what you scaled it at. Personally, I tried a few different scaled with "size for padding" added. But in the end, I settled on a scale that matched my height exactly. I think it's becaise MC is just a large character. (And not just tall.) I made my boot, shin, and forearm size testers, and although all the joint/end areas line up great, I have a HUGE amount of room between my body and the armor.

If I am right you are wondering why the bicep piece is a bit big (Circumferance wise) If you seen Adam's video on how to attach his armor remember that is is being held up with what seems to be "Elastic". Also you will have to keep in mind that you will have either an Undersuit or some type of clothing underneath the armor and that should fill up the spaces. There were a couple of people on here 4nglife...<---something like that and used a black military/uniform underneath his armor and it seemed to fill up the space really good. I actually used a black long sleeved shirt to fill out the spaces when I was showing what progress I had on my suit.

DSCF2664.JPG

You can see how I filled it out but when you get your chest piece done...you can actually add a strap from the top of the chest down to the shoulder piece to hold it up.

Like how Nicktendo said, MC probably had big arms, not long arms so if you scaled it to your size and its not super big...go with it! Also Pics of what you have right now would be helpful as well. Also the Bicep is scaled to my height as well...I am 5'4 so I used 64 for the scale (Robos' pack)...its a bit big on me as well but the shirt helped out!

Hope that helps out a bit

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, thanks for the replies fellas, I felt alone and was getting a bit frustrated (even though I expect to get that way with this project, lol, the fruits of my labor will pay off, plus I love constructing things, and the fact that when I get done, that I made it myself, just makes meh proud!

Well, Its like REALLY big. Just huge on me. I also think its a bit long, Like when I try to line it up right on my shoulder, the bottom of it hits my bend in my elbow. So I'll try a rescale thats a bit smaller. Actually, probally just size it to my height (I think I started with my height, then added 3 inches? Btw, I'm 5'10-5'11 and skinny)

Also, the bicep part sticks out REALLY REALLY far away from my arm

P.S., WetOkole, can you take a pic of your bicep piece, from the back kinda at an angle? Like where I can see a bit of the side and a bit of the tricep area?

shroom said:
I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, thanks for the replies fellas, I felt alone and was getting a bit frustrated (even though I expect to get that way with this project, lol, the fruits of my labor will pay off, plus I love constructing things, and the fact that when I get done, that I made it myself, just makes meh proud!

Well, Its like REALLY big. Just huge on me. I also think its a bit long, Like when I try to line it up right on my shoulder, the bottom of it hits my bend in my elbow. So I'll try a rescale thats a bit smaller. Actually, probally just size it to my height (I think I started with my height, then added 3 inches? Btw, I'm 5'10-5'11 and skinny)

Also, the bicep part sticks out REALLY REALLY far away from my arm
P.S., WetOkole, can you take a pic of your bicep piece, from the back kinda at an angle? Like where I can see a bit of the side and a bit of the tricep area?

If you are using Robo's file, maybe you should've just scaled it to your height and not add any more inches. That is what I did for my bicep and it actually fit. From what you said, it seems that you scaled Robo's file to 73 inches...is that correct? Try and rescale it to 70.5 inches and see how it fits?

I will try to get pics without a shirt to show how it looks on me, then with pics with my long sleeve shirt on

Did you see this pic??

DSCF2658.JPG

I hope this is what you were going for...if not I will try my best and get those shots!

[EDIT]: Dang, you fast Ral...I was looking for my topic and it took me that long, finally found it and hit submit, and noticed you left the link to the topic...sheeshh, you fast!!

WetOkole said:
If you are using Robo's file, maybe you should've just scaled it to your height and not add any more inches. That is what I did for my bicep and it actually fit. From what you said, it seems that you scaled Robo's file to 73 inches...is that correct? Try and rescale it to 70.5 inches and see how it fits?

I will try to get pics without a shirt to show how it looks on me, then with pics with my long sleeve shirt on

Did you see this pic??

DSCF2658.JPG

I hope this is what you were going for...if not I will try my best and get those shots!

[EDIT]: Dang, you fast Ral...I was looking for my topic and it took me that long, finally found it and hit submit, and noticed you left the link to the topic...sheeshh, you fast!!

Yes, 73 is what I scaled it at. So I'll try tomorrow at 70-ish since I have all day to work on it tomorrow.

That pic is PERFECT. I was wondering on the bicep back how it was bent or whatever. Just to help get a view of it.

Also, whats the video from adam you were referring to? And also, if its not TOO much to ask, is their any pics of your bicep not being worn, but still complete?

Sorry bout all the questions guys, just wanting this to be perfecto.

Please don't take this as double posting, i know it is but im just trying to get some help and update my progress so far to the people giving advice :(

Anyways, I built my new size tester at 71 inches. It still seems a bit big. But idk. In paper form, I wear it, and when I bend my elbow up, im hitting the bicep plate with my forearm. I feel like this is bad. But then when I have a actual 'glassed piece, it shouldn't matter, since this won't cause the whole piece to flex, but just moving it around a bit on my arm. Any comments?

I'm so new to this....its a totally odd thing to try and do, when I don't even know how it should really fit in the first place o_O . I cant wait till i get past these size testers. :cautious:

Wow...ok are you saying that you are 5'11??? I will have to go back and look at what you posted...be right back! Ok, yeah you said you are about that high?? Even though you scaled it to your height, it does look a bit big on you!

I scaled my bicep to my exact height and that is what I got, I am sorry that I didn't take a pic of me with my bicep but alot has been going on at work and right now I am gonna make doodoo in my pants since I RAMMED the bay door with a order picker...Suspension or Termination, who knows...

But onto your problems at the moment, try and scale it to 68 inches and work from there...you dont want it to snug on your since you will have some type of undersuit under your armor...maybe for your forearm, go with 66 inches???

You also have to remember that alot of this is about making the right size to fit you so most of it is on you best judgement and you will not likely get it on the first try. We all went through size testers and what not and some times I still don't get even get it right! I have gone through 5 helmets...3 forearms and 3 shins to get the parts to about the right size for me so alot is trial and error

Good luck on the rest and if you need any more help...just ask away!

Alright, I'll try that. Yes, 5'10''- 11'' somewhere right their. So I don't know. Just though it was a bit big. So I shall get to cracking on a new, 3rd size tester. And hopefully, I'll get somewhere with it this time. :whistle:

Also, I'll try and borrow someone's camera for this too, for some better shots.

Say you wanted to make movies with your armour... what if you needed to do a forward roll in it? Has anyone done or even tried this? Also, if you are gonna get shot and pretend to die and fall to the ground, could it take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back