News from the Front - The Official Newsletter for the Southern Regiment

Discussion in 'Southern Regiment' started by Asgardianhammer, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Asgardianhammer

Asgardianhammer Identity Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

Hello all I welcome you to read our Inaugural Edition of the Official Southern Regiment Newsletter!

Attached Files:

2. Jetskigunner

Jetskigunner Member

Love the newsletter. Definitely liked the community member spotlight. I'd love to see a scaled down version of community spotlight more frequently, then save the larger one for the newsletter.

Asgardianhammer and JD of Asgard like this.
  3. Asgardianhammer

We are already on it Jetskigunner. You will be seeing this addition to the forum page in the very near future along with our social media pages.

Jetskigunner likes this.
  4. Bucs37DK

Bucs37DK Active Member

Thanks again for the feature! The newsletter looks amazing very professional.

Asgardianhammer likes this.
  5. JD of Asgard

JD of Asgard Member

Anthony O. SID# S037
    I just moved back to Fort Walton Beach, right up the road haha. Actually go to Navarre all the time to visit my grandparents. I hope to bump into you at a con around here sometime!

6. Bucs37DK

Bucs37DK Active Member

Definitely, we are planning on having a great 405th contingent at Pensacon in Feb. We have a page for the local fireteam. Check it out, Fireteam Poseidon
    Send us a message and we can include you in Fireteam events!

Asgardianhammer and JD of Asgard like this.
  7. JD of Asgard

JD of Asgard Member

will do! thanks!

8. Asgardianhammer

Its that time again! Welcome to the Second Edition of News From the Front!

Attached Files:

AugmentedHuman013 likes this.
  9. Bucs37DK

Bucs37DK Active Member

Once again great job on the newsletter. Just some constructive feedback though. The article on armor handlers seemed weird to be split. Might have done better just to keep it together. Just a thought.

10. Asgardianhammer

Anthony i will try to not do that next time. We had so much we couldn't fit it all in our format not to mention i hate working in Word but it seems the best way to make something most can edit if necessary. The headers often give me grief manipulating but i am getting better at it. I expect our next issue we will be adding pages as it will be our Pre-Dragon issue. Thanks for the feedback!

Bucs37DK likes this.
  11. Bucs37DK

Bucs37DK Active Member

No problem. Was talking to the wife (she does a newsletter for work). She mentioned publisher or the free equivalent may be easier to work with than word. Just a thought.

12. Asgardianhammer

Well maybe she can give us a hand with this thing in the future? Nudge nudge...

Bucs37DK likes this.
  13. Bucs37DK

Bucs37DK Active Member

I can certainly ask :)

14. foxleader

foxleader Well-Known Member

so question?

do crack pot theroies count as news? if so I've got a few about halo games/ lore that's been bugging me for a bit.

15. foxleader

and another thing and I don't mean to be rude, but why the herder line, make me feel like were cattle and at the wrong con/ after dark times. won't the term squad commander be a much better line.

16. AugmentedHuman013

AugmentedHuman013 RMO 405th Regiment Officer

Huh? What about herder line?

17. foxleader

can we call it something else besides that, like I said its not halo military, and SC or Squad Commander would be much more along the line of a group of cosplayer because its easier then saying "Where's the Herder." its "Where's the Squad Commander." much better of a saying I think.

18. AugmentedHuman013

AugmentedHuman013 RMO 405th Regiment Officer

I have no idea what your referring to. Where does it say harder line. Reading past post I see Rob talking about Header lines. Which is referring to a part of the newsletter.

19. Asgardianhammer

foxleader the terminology used is a general statement for events that are large and it it is not derogatory as this is the general function that handlers and organizers perform. Secondarily the term Commander in our group does not need to be bandied about so flippantly. It gives the wrong impression about the chain of command. We will work to choose our words more carefully as we make edits in the future and thank you for brining it to my attention.

To your point about Halo Lore. There is enough speculation about the franchise we all hold so dear on youtube and other sites. I want to make sure that our articles remain about the Southern Regiment, costumes, armor, fabrication, members, cons and events, and things relevant to us in the 405th.
    This newsletter is seen by Southern members for about 2 weeks before it is shared to the community as a whole. We in Regiment Command would like to see it remain about these subjects. If you have ideas for articles about those topics, or topics for things like wiring or programming, or anything relevant to us as a costume group I would love to hear it.

-Hammer

20. foxleader

well I know a guy that has a falcon, the falcon from star wars WIP but that's more of a 501st thing. as for news I would like to know what people would think about a warehouse for long term storage of armor and props or a museum to show case our armor sure it would be nice to have multiple locations, but it would be nice to beat 343 to the punch on that front, because we all know that forward unto dawn could have been done better with our help, because it still bugs me that we as a group have never been asked to help with their films, even thou we make our own.

21. Asgardianhammer

i think your question about polling members about storage and a museum are better served for the forum and not the newsletter.

As far as beating 343 to the punch they have quite the museum of which i have a helmet currently residing alongside some other prop builders.

I will not speculate about whether a 343 project could have been better with our help. Film production companies usually determines the physical effects house or digital effects house for franchises features etc. I believe 343 realizes there are several other groups alongside ours and does not wish to undermine one over another by giving endorsements. Also giving endorsement of us sort of puts them on the hook for allowing us to do what we do in an official capacity when in reality all of those assets belong to Microsoft. The new Spielberg/Showtime project is intriguing and who knows maybe there will be room for all of the groups in there somewhere in an epic spartan battle in the future but until that time we will continue to do what we do. Encourage others to build, have fun and make friends!

They haven't made enough live action stuff to warrant our inclusion just yet anyways!

22. foxleader

well I'll keep my ears pealed to the 343 wall, because I'm fearing 343 might be driving themselves in the ground at mk 3 and we'll have to pick up the pieces, or worse.

23. Asgardianhammer

I think you are worrying about things far outside of your control and not sure how the 405th will be picking up pieces.
    This thread is about a simple Newsletter we put out to support our members and have fun foxleader.
    Lets all just build something. We have 10 great years of Halo and more on the way.

24. foxleader

okay i'll let you get back to your reporting then.

25. arma358

arma358 PR Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

I think they're still in pre-production and all of that. I've got a feeling that 343i will want at least some community interaction in how they take this forward.