Noble Six Helmet [FAILED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wartog

Hi all,

Just finished the pepakura phase of the Noble Six Helmet.

You can see the pictures here : http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=210004&id=564313719&l=139b1ae177

As you will see in picture 8 and 9 it's not perfect.

Picture 8 shows the part on top of the helmet, that I couldn't fit perfectly.
What have I done wrong there ?
Can I fix this after the resining or do I have to fix it before ?

Picture 9 shows some warpage at the mouth and below.
What have I done wrong there ?
Can I fix this with struts when I start resening it ?

But... the worst problem however is that it doesn't fit anymore.
All was well, just until I added the last pieces on the bottom of the helmet. Now my head can't go trough it anymore. :(

I did change the scale and all, and added a margin of 4 cm :
height from my chin to the top of my head was 220mm, so I set the height at 260mm. Unfortunatly it is still to small.

I'm considering restarting the project from scratch with the original size : 280mm. However I would like to have some more intel regarding my questions so I don't my the same mistakes anymore.

tia !

Mine turned out very badly some of the folds was working right so I just riped it up and printed out another helmet. This was my first build so I'm starting on another easier helmet!!

Your build is salvageable, and I think you did a great job for your first go. This is a common problem in pepping single 'bubble' models. Unless you really study the 3d model before cutting you are basically doubling your chances of making mistakes. Some people will end up building a helmet 3 or more times, finally figuring out what pages are what part and building areas of the helmet before putting the whole thing together.

The problem with the helmet neck isn't that big of a deal. After you harden it you can simply take a dremel, with the little cylindrical sanding head, and just trim around the hole and widen it so you can get your head in there.

That's what I had to do for my ODST helmet, and I'd rather have to trim a little bit than have a huge hole with no closure around the neck area. (looks better) So you could say that your situation is actually good! :)

Honestly, the only important thing you should shoot for with your pep is symmetry. If you don't have that and it's warped like crazy then you should probably consider starting over. But from your photos it looks like you'll be alright if you place supports inside the helm and are extra careful when hardening.

Good luck!

Don't feel discouraged!! At least it's not a scaling problem which I think is worse! I once made the hd mk vi chest and had to totally redo it... Talk about a pain in the rear! But if the borrow part is what you're worked about could u attach another image and I could see if I could give some advice?

yeah man there was some major warpage on my first helm but afterwords i just rondo'd the sag on the front side of the helm and smoothed it out. I don't know which method your going for but little mistakes in the pep stage doesn't kill the whole thing.

I think that looks plenty salvageable. Just remember that miracles can be worked with some bondo.

Thx for the intel.

I guess I wont give up on that helmet just yet. If it shoudn't work out after all, I will already have some resin and bondo experience to build on.

Honestly, the only important thing you should shoot for with your pep is symmetry.

This I don't quite understand, how can my symmetry be off, while I just follow 'the pep plan' ?
Or is the folding responsible for that. I use to different pens to put some pressure on the foldlines before folding them. Perhaps I should use something else ? Any Ideas ?

Thx !

are you useing card stock? cant really tell from the pics but i think looks good yeah there lilttle warping but its really not that bad i agree should turn out pritty good if not you do get that hands on knowing for the retry xD

This I don't quite understand, how can my symmetry be off, while I just follow 'the pep plan' ?
Or is the folding responsible for that. I use to different pens to put some pressure on the foldlines before folding them. Perhaps I should use something else ? Any Ideas ?

Sorry, I didn't mean what I said to sound like the symmetry looked off on your pep. From the pics it looked like you are good to go. I was just making a general observation in pepping objects.

Thx for the intel.

I guess I wont give up on that helmet just yet. If it shoudn't work out after all, I will already have some resin and bondo experience to build on.

Thx !

I score mine with my pocket knife. It folds itself for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back