Noob Creating first Spartan foam armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenguinVII

Hello everyone,

I introduced myself in the intro forum, and even watched the "noob orientation video" so I figured it was time to throw up a post. I am going to be doing a foam kit within the next few weeks so I just figured I would start this thread, get a little info, and post some pics when I have them.

I was thinking about starting with the chest piece. I am going to do either the (dear lord, I have forgotten the names) well the chest with the shotgun shells, or the knife on the chest. Any little tidbits of help are always welcome, such as if its a terrible idea to start with the chest, or with foam in general.

Anyway, looking forward to speaking with you guys and thanks for all the advice in advance.

-PenguinVII

Welcome to the 405th. foam builds usually turn out pretty good just remember to be patient because you will make mistakes, everyone makes mistakes on their first build. can't wait for pics

good luck on your build! be sure to check various foam builds on the forums for some references and ideas. Also Chest piece is a bit of a challenge if your inexperienced. but if your creative and patient enough it will turn out fine. If you want some practice then work on the thighs or shins or start even smaller with a hand plate.

Thanks Falinos and J326. I was thinking that because of the larger pieces and less rounding than the leg/thigh it would be simpler to start with, but I will definitely take it into consideration. Thanks.

EDIT: Seems that I can't upload or link photos yet for some reason, either that or im just crazy.

EDIT 2: Changed to links.

Hello again all. I decided to start my first kit with Pepakura instead of foam, although now that I just finished my first piece it has me wondering if that's a good idea. I have a few quick questions for anyone willing to answer.

#1- is there a specific style or maker that has "high quality" pep files? The one I'm using now is park of the 1.7 full download I found on the site. I can post the link if someone doesn't know what I'm speaking of.

#2- I would really like to do Noble Six, does anyone have a recommendation for where to get the Pep files? I can search to find different ones myself, but I want to see if anyone has some ideas on good quality ones.

#3- I noticed that some areas feature extremely small details on it, is there any specific way that you guys have found best to put them together? Should I start with a large piece or is it best to start with the number 1?

#4- I posted some pictures of the right forearm and also on my arm. Does it look like the right size or should I think about re-scaling it? I am willing to junk it and start again (both because it was a test run for noble six, and also because id rather get it right) If it looks like the right size I will just keep it and finish the style all like this as my first total trial run.

I know its a lot of questions but I hope for anyones help thats willing. Also please aim me if your online so I could possibly get some more info quickly. Thanks guys!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49871440@N04/5878823509/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49871440@N04/5879387624/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49871440@N04/5878826533/in/photostream/

EDIT: Seems that I can't upload or link photos yet for some reason, either that or im just crazy.

This may help: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30673-How-to-use-Photobucket-to-include-pictures-in-your-threads

#2- I would really like to do Noble Six, does anyone have a recommendation for where to get the Pep files? I can search to find different ones myself, but I want to see if anyone has some ideas on good quality ones.
There are a couple of threads with 3D files. Try the Halo Reach thread, I bet all the files you need are in there.

#3- I noticed that some areas feature extremely small details on it, is there any specific way that you guys have found best to put them together? Should I start with a large piece or is it best to start with the number 1?
The edge IDs only indicate which two edges belong together, they don't indicate the right build order. Going from edge 1 to edge n will most likely result in total disaster. Try to start with pieces that you are absolutely sure you can put together right. It gets easier once you have part of the model.

#4- I posted some pictures of the right forearm and also on my arm. Does it look like the right size or should I think about re-scaling it? I am willing to junk it and start again (both because it was a test run for noble six, and also because id rather get it right) If it looks like the right size I will just keep it and finish the style all like this as my first total trial run.
There's no picture of you wearing it, so it's impossible to say whether the size is right.

Venture, Thanks a ton for all the advice! I had forgotten to upload those photos >_< They are on my flickr now and can be found at the links.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49871440@N04/5878984655/

I think you're wearing it wrong. The part that faces the camera on the first picture needs to lie on your ulna and the pointy end at the top should be where your elbow is and slightly protrude, so that it's about flush with the back of your triceps (or rather the armour piece on it). The bottom end of the model looks like it's in the right height on your wrist though. So basically, going from how you're wearing it in the picture, you have to turn it clockwise 90°. Better take another picture when you're done, just to make sure. I think it might be a little too large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back