Noob Questions, Resin, Rondo, Aqua, And Smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamsterstyle

Hello all, I have a few noob questions and this is the place to ask them.

I have a few additional safety questions that I havne't seen covered anywhere else (That I can find).

1 - Resin and bondo are both very toxic when being worked with, curing,and while sanding. How long do these health hazards persist for? I typically leave everything outside for about 2-3 days, and then put them in the basement for a week before bringing them into my room for any reason. Am I being too paranoid? Or not paranoid enough?

2 - I've noticed that typically bondo goes on pretty thick, I was wondering if anyone mixes a bit of resin into the bondo to make it thinner, and then spreads it that way. In theory 'painting' the bondo on rather than spreading it.

3 - I've tried out some Aqua-resin, both by itself and with fiberglass and I'm not that impressed by it. It seems to me to be heavy, brittle, and even when combined with fiberlass it feels weak. I'm sure that this isn't enough information, but anyone have any ideas about what I could be doing wrong with it?

4 - My last question is this: I've been trying out some smooth-on products and find them to be really cool overall. What is the toxic levels of these products. Should I be in full-resparator-goggle mode like for resin/bondo, or are these products safer? If they are also pretty dangerous, how long before I can bring the cured products into a living space?

5 - Sintra Question, I have a quick Sintra question also. I see that people vacuform sintra, and they also heat it with heat-guns/boiling water. How toxic are these products when doing it. I only have a communal kitchen, and I don't want to ruin my roommates stomaches by doing this kind of work in there.

--

As you can see I'm pretty much trying out everything and learning how all the various materials work to figure out what I like best. I just want to make extra sure I'm not going to destroy my lungs in the process. I'm very careful, I just want to make sure I'm either careful enough without being overly cautious.

I will try my best to answer in order

1. A little too cautious, just give it maybe a day and it's safe anywhere

2. Bondo is used to get detail and to mold... so no just put a glump on and sand away

3. I don't find a-resin that great either, it's mainly for like marine craft like boats ( or floating spartans)

4. They are a little rougher than bondo/resin and for the bondo/resin as long as you are outside you don't really need a respirator or goggles if anything the fumes will make you Mr.giggles, for smooth-on I would advise to leave it out for at least 36hrs

Let me know if this helps, tacos out

One guy on here a really long time ago got really sick from a defective respirator, so not having one on at all is even worse than that. Also, after resin, i usually let my piece sit for 30-60 min. or however long it takes to be dry to the touch and then bring it inside. It smells, but its not harmful at that point.

So now I've heard from some people that Smooth-on products are low toxicity, and from other that they are very toxic.

I've seen some videos with people using smooth-on 300 and not using respirators or anything. I've always found the stuff to be pretty smelly. I guess it's best to err on the side of being overly cautious.

1 - I leave my stuff out for atleast 3 hours, it's perfectly fine to work with by then.

2 - Actually, bondo and resin, called "mud" around here is very useful. Do like you said, mix resin with bondo, but only use the resin catalyst, and walla!

3 - I haven't tried Agua Resin myself, but I've heard great things. Try looking for a topic about it by SkullCandyGirl, or even send her a message, she'll be glad to help.

4 - It's my understanding that alot of the Smooth-On products, such as their silicones and resins are alot tamer than fiberglass resin and bondo. I wear a respirator anyhow, but it's suppose to be safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back