Noob Tips on resining, inside and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keezfocer

I just got done fiberglassing the last of my armor pieces. I felt inspired to write about it and share some of the knowledge that I've accumulated in order to help our posterity. If you are a noob, read on. If you are a pro, please add some more tips in the comments!

First off, a lot of guides will tell you that you need a disposable brush when you go to resin your armor. I am here to tell you that you will need MANY disposable brushes. The resin in your brush will harden just like the resin on your armor. (Funny how that works) After that, you might as well just use the handle. When you finish up for the day, your brush will never be useable again. When you stop for lunch, you brush will not be useable again. If you take a 20 mere minute break, you will still come back to find a rock-hard brush. I've probably used about ten 2'' brushes by this point.

One of the most important tools I have had is a sponge with a rough side. Its not for building your armor, its for scrubbing the resin off your skin. Resin tends to get on you no matter what you do. When that happens, some hot soapy water and a rough sponge takes care of business.

A marker is also useful. When you are a noob at resining, you will tend to miss some tiny spots on your armor. When you are looking over your armor after resining the outside, you will notice this. Just put a dot there with a dark colored marker. When you have your resin out to fiberglass the inside, it is easy to see where you need to touch up on the outside.

A small fan is also a must. Whether you are inside or out (of the house) mount a small fan to blow all the fumes away from your face.

When you are fiberglassing the inside, make sure you also glue the pieces of fiberglass cloth in place with a small amount of normal glue before you bust out with the resin again. I say this becase when you are dealing with resin, your gloves WILL get sticky. trying to put in small pieces of cloth with sticky gloves is hell, so do yourself a favor and pre-place them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back