noob trying to figure out how to scale the Halo Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Spider

Hi, I'm new here. I was introduced to this site by the Indy Mogul "how to make Halo Armor" tutorial video. I want to make my fiance some pepakura papercraft Halo armor, but I want to make sure I get the size right before I fiberglass and resin the thing. My fiance is 6'4" with a chest girth of about 44". Are there any tricks I should do for sizing before I print the armor pieces out, or should I just buy enough card stock to make a few mistakes with size?

Any help would be appreciated, I foresee my brother and other friends wanting armor if I can successfully make this first one ;)

you definitely want to have extra cardstock, i recommend 3-400 per suit given mistakes on sizing. Depending on the piece you will have to measure that part of the body accordingly. For both of my torso's I have made I measure out the length of my shoulders and subtracted about 2 inches and converted that to mm. I stand 6'1" and made my torso to about 400mm with about an inch exposed on both of my shoulders which helps with moving. I just made a Reach thigh to a height of 320mm which fit perfectly, so a thigh size around there should be good for your fiance. If you have any questions just send me a pm. Goodluck, I hope this helps some.

It depends on the armor style too.

For MK VI: Measure from arm pit to arm pit.
For MK V: Measure shoulder to shoulder

And of course convert to mm after.

Thank you for the suggestions, they seem helpful
Now I need to figure out how to change sizes in the pepakura viewer before I print, anyone know how to do that?

I believe pepakura viewer doesn't have scaling capabilities but I may be wrong. Most people use pepakura designer, it allows you to make changes to the files. There is a tab at the top of it that says 2D Menu, in that tab there's a change scale option. From there you go into scale factor to make the proper adjustments.

Welcome to the 405th.

I recommend that you check out this reading list.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30542-NOOB-reading-list

About half way down is a link to a tutorial on scaling. I also recommend going through every one of the links from Adam's orientation video to mentoring - It will save you a lot of time in the end.

And yes, you need Pepakura Designer to scale. If you want to save your work there is a small license fee.

Again, welcome - your journey is just beginning.

Thank you everyone, this is really helpful. I'll be doing a lot of reading and a lot more research for this project. Thank you all again :D

Hello, How's it going I'm new but seems you know the ins and outs on this gear building objective so far I have used A4 for my printing on my helmet took 28 pages of card stock. I haven't put it together yet but my face chin to top was 9 inchs so I set it at 10 inchs converted to mm hopefully that's right :). Now I'm attempting to design the Core Torso and its telling me using A4 again that I need 105 pages before I even move things to make sure they don't over lap if I space them out its 158 pages is that correct or am I doing something very wrong? I put my mm adjustment in the width which I got as like 686mm I have 26 inchs from arm pit to arm pit surely Im screwing up some how it cant possibly take a whole pack a card stock to create 1 piece?

I use this website to convert inches to mm, then round the decimal up to get a whole number when I scale, so if this helps, then by all means, USE IT!!
http://www.convertunits.com/from/inches/to/mm

As far as scaling Mark VI armor, or armor in general, I've found HaloGoddess's tutorial on how to scale most efficient. It shows how to change scale and everything in Pepakura Designer. The post for that is here,...
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31627-HaloGoddess-quot-How-To-Scale-quot-and-More-Tutorial

And to help out for first time "peppers", I recommend using a "Low-Res" file instead of "HD" files, for they will crush your dreams on attempting to pep anything. Any other questions, feel free to ask. And welcome to the 405th!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back