North Alabama Odst Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

torsoboy

[I'm not able to post this stuff in the appropriate forums, so I'm posting it here in hopes that it gets moved.]

Hey 405th, I've been working hard on the armor for my North Alabama group. We're building 4 of the "We are ODST" Live Action version of the ODST suits. The pieces you see here are a mixture from various sources. The chest piece was a 3d model I found on DeviantART (I forget the original designer's name, though), and it has been tweaked, pepped, molded and cast. The belly pieces (two are pictured) are my own design, built out of cardboard and detailed in sintra, then molded and cast. The belt piece is the basic ODST game version (which isn't accurate to the live action, I know), as is the groin piece. The little side detail bit I built out of sintra and molded and cast.

I have other pieces in various stages, and we still have a lot left to do. But what you see here is the first castings of the molded parts, which I needed now so I could figure out the vest attachment. Basically I fiberglassed some picture hanging hardware to the back of the armor pieces, and then zip-tied them to the loops on the Molle vest.

S7009548.jpg

S7009562.jpg

S7009573.jpg

S7009580.jpg

S7009586.jpg

The SMG is also my own build, based on the hi-res side views of the game version of it. I'm going to be building on the live-action versions of the scope and the light, though, instead of the smaller game scope and the more stylized game light.

The other prop builder in our group has made some progress on the ODST helmet, but not much has been done to it other than one coat of bondo. I've been working on my recon helmet, which will be my personal helmet to wear with the costume, and it has it's own thread and has been featured on WIP Wednesday (week 3):

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22029

torsoboy said:
In the paragraph at the top of the topic I stated that the parts were molded and cast.

Sorry misread

So I hope you make a run of this parts, they are beautiful

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice.

One question, what did you use to cast the parts? It looks like a mixture of resin and fiberglass from what I can see, but I may be wrong.

Alex spartan177 said:
So I hope you make a run of this parts, they are beautiful

I don't think I'll be up to making runs of full sets of parts (the entire costume), but the molds I made are capable of making way more castings than the 4 sets we need for our group. So I may end up offering chest armor kits (just the armor on the vest) or small sets like that.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
One guestion, what did you use to cast the parts? It looks like a mixture of resin and fiberglass from what I can see, but I may be wrong.

I used fiberglass resin mixed with microbulb filler to make a pseudo gel coat. Microbulb filler is a powder consisting of microscopic glass beads that really just take up space. It makes the resin easier to sand as well as increasing the volume of resin in your cup. It's really fun stuff. I also use it to talc my gloves whenever I get resin on them. :pSo once I got my fiberglass/microbulb gel coat painted in, I backed the armor pieces with a mixture of aircraft-grade fiberglass cloth and regular fiberglass cloth (a friend of the other prop builder in the group supplied us with the aircraft fiberglass).

Wow! Those are some beautiful looking pieces! Well sculpted, nice detailing-- you have done an excellent job. Also, it's nice to see that you waited till you had some pieces out of the pep stage before making a topic. Props to you!!!

BTW: Was that belakors smooth recon helm? and Nightshade's SMG?

Cheers!!!

Sniperbaas392 said:
Wow! Those are some beautiful looking pieces! Well sculpted, nice detailing-- you have done an excellent job. Also, it's nice to see that you waited till you had some pieces out of the pep stage before making a topic. Props to you!!!

BTW: Was that belakors smooth recon helm? and Nightshade's SMG?

Cheers!!!

The recon helmet is indeed the smoothed belakor helmet. Check out the WIP Wednesday Week 3 post about it. The gun is my own, as stated in the first post: "The SMG is also my own build, based on the hi-res side views of the game version of it. I'm going to be building on the live-action versions of the scope and the light, though, instead of the smaller game scope and the more stylized game light."

Very nice! love the customization and quality in your details.

What are you actually casting into your molds? Whatever it is, it gives great resolution as well as surface quality.

NoDayLikeDoomsday said:
Very nice! love the customization and quality in your details.

What are you actually casting into your molds? Whatever it is, it gives great resolution as well as surface quality.

Please read a few posts up. I've already answered that question.

torsoboy said:
The recon helmet is indeed the smoothed belakor helmet. Check out the WIP Wednesday Week 3 post about it. The gun is my own, as stated in the first post: "The SMG is also my own build, based on the hi-res side views of the game version of it. I'm going to be building on the live-action versions of the scope and the light, though, instead of the smaller game scope and the more stylized game light."

Ah sorry about that didn't see that part. Still, it looks fantastic. Do you intend to place in a live working light? Keep up the good work!

Underdogg13 said:
Wow, that's a beautiful looking set of armor.

/off topic/

Your mannequin has rather large bulge.

Kinda noticed that one too....

I agree that this should be moved to the correct forum... the elite forum!

Cheers!

NoDayLikeDoomsday said:
But what exactly do you mean by "pseudo gel coat"?

ideally, your first coat in the mold would be made with an opaque casting resin (so it's not clear so you can see any imperfections) or a dedicated gel coat resin. Fiberglass resin, though, is not an ideal casting resin because it has a different purpose and doesn't have the smoothest surface. By mixing in microbulb filler, the resin is smoothed out and is also given a milky appearance so you can see the surface, in effect making a psuedo (fake) gel coat.

Once the gel coat is done, then you just proceed with fiberglassing as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back