ODSK..........?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so after finishing up the suits undercoating of 50/50...I had some time so I worked on modifying the frags I had....

Some craft foam and it is ready to be painted......but I still had some time left over...........

So I built a sliced FB AR....

Not 100% happy w/ it but w/ my table saw and sander.....at least the edges are all lined up.

Hopefully by this weekend I'll have the suit painted up and ready for next week.

Well getting down to the wire. I have 11 days till con......good thing I have all of the ODSK armor built!!!!!

I'm in the middle of getting all the straps glued in place and then it's off to the shed for the paint job. Still have to get the visor finished and the Hello Kitty ears/bow on the top of the helmet but that should take all of a few hours.........much less than it took to build her prop Magnum!!!

This took me about 4 hrs to build......I'm not 100% happy w/ it but for the time being, It will be good enough. The only reason I have this now is because I ran out of elastic strapping...which sucked because all I needed was 2 more for the thigh pieces and 2 for the shoulder.......about 2 feet in length in total......but it being Memorial Day Weekend.....everything was closed. Regardless.....she is looking bad-ass......even w/ her goofy looking grin.

I'm thinking of attaching an actual holster to the thigh piece.....I know that magnets would hold this on, it being so light in weight....I just don't want her to loose it after bumping in to someone........BTW credit for the magnum goes to Andrew DFT for the templates....and the suit as well........I really enjoined watching his tutorials.....I just employed my own techniques at some points...which is what any one should do.....it's what gives each build a different "flavor" rather than it looking like it came off an assembly line.

Home stretch baby......finish line is in sight!!
My dad wish he could do this stuff with me now...
But give it a couple of years and we'll probably working on cars together.
Always good to see dads conecning with there kids
But back on topic
My jaw is on the floor
I take my eyes off this thread for a little bit and bang dirts almost done. Nice job they also look amazing

Where did you get the templates for your sliced ( including the BR that you did) firearms?
The files are in the armory.....I used the foam version but substituted foam-board for EVA and made more slices 7-8 rather than just 2 EVAs. The magnum is one of Andrew DFT's designs and can be found on YouTube...."How to ODST" he has a link to the magnum and SMG templates.

My dad wish he could do this stuff with me now...
But give it a couple of years and we'll probably working on cars together.
Always good to see dads conecning with there kids
But back on topic
My jaw is on the floor
I take my eyes off this thread for a little bit and bang dirts almost done. Nice job they also look amazing

Thanks Spartan55, provided I don't get distracted w/ other things I should....will be finished this week.

And speaking of finishing.....

OOOOOOHHHHHH.......It's so pink!!!!

And yes those are my very own Division approved stickers on the shoulders. A few more pieces to touch up w/ paint to the trim and I'll be done w/ that.....still have to finish the visor and get the ears/bow on the helmet. Cutting it very close since I still have my own suit to finish.....which might not happen.........uuuccccccchhhhhhh!!!!!! I hate not making my deadlines.

You can't really see it in the picture but there are shades of pink in the armor that look really cool. The black in the trim really brings out the shades. Also once I have the straps on the shoulders, they will show even more so.

Well I pulled a all nighter last night........haven't done that in a very......very long time. Everything is done w/ the trim painting.....and I even made the ears and bow.....however, I have reached my media limit and can't show you the progress. 1 small problem with the helmet though.....the intended visor cracked........while in the hussel and busel the past few days, the visor ended up on the floor somehow and .....yep, you guessed it.....someone stepped on it. CRACK!!!!! There goes that visor. The current one is not 100% to my liking but it fits.......I can't put the gold tint film to it.....it just have too many angles to cover properly. Next time I will have to do it in pieces since a 1 piece is impractical. As soon as I clean up some of my media, I'll post the pics.

Sorry to hear about the visor mishap. Was the visor something that you had put together or was it ordered?
At least you have something to replace it with.

something I made w/ plexi glass. Shaped it on my own but I guess it became too brittle after heating it up.

Ok so everyone is just going to have to use their imagination since I can't post pics......The ODSK build is done!!! Painted pink and black and all strapped up. Ears and bow and all!!! At least someone of the fire team will be in costume.......

Thanks to CommanderPalmer the Techno Neanderthal can now post pics......yay!!!!......So it has a mono-chromatic look to it but that is what my daughter wants......Here is the secondary visor w/o the gold tint.....It just couldn't make the contours to be usable. Bubbles and creases made the visor look terrible so we had to go w/o it. The bow was painted red and the ears were rounded off and painted as well...pink not red, and glued in to place. It looks very cute.......The black paint to the trim really is an eye catcher and enhances the scored lines so much.......Later on if she wants, we could add some color and some more ODSK logos. There is a lot of "dead space" that could use some.....some......sum-em sum-em.......??? I guess that makes it as clear as mud....Any who........The suit is finished. Once I have her in it, I'll post the pic for all to see........

IMG_0390.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0395.JPG

Oops......I forgot to update this w/ a "finished" suit.

Well, SciFi Con was amazing!!!! Kids had a great time and Everybody loved the ODSK!!!! We barely made it to the lobby of the hotel before someone stopped us to take a picture.......ok I will admit it....just her. Regardless........it was an awesome feeling to be among so may HALO Spartans and like-minded people at the con. Good news is the suit held up nicely...even being accidentally left in a hot car for almost an hour. Bad news is that the helmet is still a bit too small. I fear that this summer if my daughter has any type of growth spurt (which most do at this age and during the summer time) that the helmet isn't going to fit. But other than redoing a larger helmet.......suit was great!!! She was so proud to stand there among some of the Colonials finest!! She is really looking forward to next year.
IMG_1009a.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

Update!!!!!

I know it's been a while and yes the ODSK was a big hit at SciFy valley.......but the Fireteam is not yet finished. That being said, here is the beginning of suit #2, my sons ODST:

IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG

Almost done with peping it. I made it a bit bigger for him to get more than 1-2 uses out of it but it won't give him the bobblehead look. For the armor, it will be foam. I'm going w/ a mix of DFT and other pieces here and there. Stuff that he picked out actually. Any suggestions or opinions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Update!!!!!

I know it's been a while and yes the ODSK was a big hit at SciFy valley.......but the Fireteam is not yet finished. That being said, here is the beginning of suit #2, my sons ODST:

View attachment 247809 View attachment 247810

Almost done with peping it. I made it a bit bigger for him to get more than 1-2 uses out of it but it won't give him the bobblehead look. For the armor, it will be foam. I'm going w/ a mix of DFT and other pieces here and there. Stuff that he picked out actually. Any suggestions or opinions and comments are greatly appreciated.
Nice! so you're making the Halo 4 ODST? Looks good man! When are you gonna finish your H5 Fred helmet?

I haven't been able to work on it like I hoped this summer......4 families living in 1 house for the summer w/ 1 infant and 1 toddler.....I can't have that Bondo smell anywhere around the house....The mother is insane......:eek::eek::eek::eek:. So I will continue to work the ODST till after I get back to Brooklyn. As to when my Fred helmet will be ready.....It better be done by October.....NYCC is October 5-8th and tickets are already on the way.

So while I was waiting for the first layer of PVC to dry on the helmet, I had plenty of time on my hands......so I started on an SMG by DFT.......It feels a little small but then realized is was for a much smaller person.....a 12 year old to be exact, so it fit him perfectly. I still have a lot to do on it but not bad for a few hours work.

SMG.jpg

It needs to be sanded and heat sealed in order to bring out the details. I wish I had a dowel or even a few BBQ skewers that I could have put on the inside as stabilizers. Perhaps if I drill a hole and tap in a dowel it will help. Its just that little piece between the body and the stock that is the weakest point and a bit flimsy. Overall it a nice prop and well designed.

Looking good.
It its my hand pretty well. I guess I count as a smaller person?
I used dowels for my build of this. I had it run the length of the weapon plus a couple of inches so there was something for the suppressor to attach to. Then a a dowel running down the fore grip and trigger grip to stiffen that up as well.
Will you customize it and add a sight as well?

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure how big you are but my son is about 5'7"-8" and it fits him ok. I'll be making the iron sights....already have the templates ....I just ran out of time. It was 12:30 when I got up to this point. I plan on using a drill bit.....yes I have one just about the full length of the prop....and I do like the idea of a dowel in both grips....Next time I'll have them in before I close up the main body...like a skeletal frame. I love the way yours turned out. I just didn't have right material before I started.......not in my shop at this time so I didn't have all my supplies w/ me...not even my heat gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back