ODST And Recon Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter Spase

Well, thought for a while I'd abandon my ODST and never get back to it.... It took a while to bring it back from the debacle of testing a new molding method... but I'll be back to the tried and true method soon.

The ODST now has a friend.... ODST... meet Recon.

Primer over clay, hence the grey... A couple views of the Recon, and Painted mock up...

EDIT: Now two helmets can be friends. Painted Recon pic update.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cJaHpmIdE8[/media] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7tCrUb24p8[/media]

Nice work spase! I've got to give this method a try some time, it seems rather efficient.

p0rtalman said:
Nice work spase! I've got to give this method a try some time, it seems rather efficient.

Thankyou...

Head the warning. You'll never end up with a wearable helmet by this method. Oil clay over a pepakura armature does not equal wearable. Should be used only for molding purposes, and if you aren't comfortable free sculpting, then this will probably just give you headaches. To give you the idea, no, there is not a single part that isn't covered in clay. And yes, I will end up having to mold everything twice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had to post pics of a kick arse Recon helm... after I just casted one... how do I explain to the Wife the need for a second one? "But Honey, it's not the same... It's different, really..."

Well done, can't wait to see it molded and cast!

The detail around the back is the best I could Decipher off the crummy model I have.... my in game Recon helmet. It's always difficult to tell whats raised and whats in set... but going off the shadows, that's roughly the best I could figure. I added hard edges to the detail back there as well, the model looked "soft". Also left large curved - flat surface around the helmet a bit rough, going to be sanding it to a more symmetrical shape... The two details missing from the from "forehead area are not shown in the photo, as that area will need to be sanded before the master is complete. I haven't decided whether to do it as a separate piece or not.... probably will...

D.W., you'll be glad to know, both these helmets are larger than the original MK VI I did... so they'll fit a bigger noggin and give some pad room. So maybe a trade... pair of helmets for the Hammer... huh huh?... J/K I'm happy to pay straight up.

Ahhh... Flares.. never play customs and you don't find them in Multiplayer typically so it didn't occur to me. I usually use the sunny area's of the Pit... it seems to work, it still relatively difficult to interpret artist intention of a bump mapped object if the resolution of the model is no very high...

Photo Added to original Post for ODST Color Scheme.

I was hoping to have a picture of the ODST mold beginning.... lesson be learned... when you don't thoroughly shake a paint can, you may get paint that doesn't dry.... I had to re-prime everything because there was uncured paint in places... very frustrating when you get this close. Try to update tonight.

Spase said:
D.W., you'll be glad to know, both these helmets are larger than the original MK VI I did... so they'll fit a bigger noggin and give some pad room. So maybe a trade... pair of helmets for the Hammer... huh huh?... J/K I'm happy to pay straight up.

Bigger is better - I still miss that helmet... :sleep:

Are you going to do an ODST visor as well? The original project was a ways back and I've forgotten... We should be able to work something out on the Hammer. ;) Good Luck on the moulds - don't forget to "show your work"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back