ODST armor discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are ODST's "not nearly as detailed as Spartan armor.". The H3 Variants for the most part are just as complicated. The Chest is even more so. In addition some parts may be more smooth but the shape can be more tricky than the rest. Just representing the ODST's here.

(Please use threads for the topics they were created for.. )

ODST's are slightly easier because they have more exposed areas and less areas that have armor interacting with other pieces of armor, plus they have lots of visible straps to help hold things where they're supposed to be. Fewer pieces, etc..

Also, they don't have the two-layer concave visor, which as most folks will tell you, is a pain.

I think that ODST armor needs a little more respect than to just be vacformed. It has alot of details and uber goodness that could be lost by doing that. yes i agree that it has more exposed parts than spartan armor does but it also isnt the same as it. Because it is something different i think it demands the same respect as spartan armor thats all. I feel it is a disrespect to it by making it a just another level until Spartans. I think each suit demands its own respect regardless of its complexity. Not just it is the lowest level armor or what not. Each division is unique and different in its own ways.

I agree, but maybe not the way you'd want me to.

I beleive that any costume should be "equal", and that in terms of "levels" (if anything) should be based on accuracy, and reaslism. That's based on the assumption that the costume is supposed to make it seem as though you ARE that character, rather than a stylish representation of it.

For example, any costume that looks like it's "right out of the game" is better (in my opinion) than a more "artistic vision" of even the same suit, no matter what methods were used. My opinion isn't shared by everyone though.. some beleive that it's the art behind it that makes it better, and others suggest that it's how complicated or expensive it was to make it.

You could spend a million dollars and make a grunt costume entirely out of gold, with like two or three moving parts.. or spend 10,000 and have a costume that looks just like the one in the game. Which is a better costume? it all boils down to personal opinon.

However, in "cosplay" where we're trying to be in-character, we should probably respect the "levels" that are in the game.. Marines are impressed by ODST, and even ODST are in awe of Spartans.

I think it really comes down to 'What do you want your costume to represent?' A somewhat noticeable resemblance, a close mock-up , or an exact duplicate. The methods used to get to any of these is really just up to the individual. If you want to vac-form the ODST armor, then by all means do so. If you want it to be more exact and authentic looking, another method might need to be used or a certain amount of additional modifying. It all comes down to personal desire in creating the outfit/costume.

I'm gonna disagree with the OP- ODST armor is easier because there isn't as much detail, pure and simple.
Look at the detail on Spartan armor and undersuits. Now pull up the Landfall shorts: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_Landfall
It doesn't get much clearer.

@23magnum: I think the ODST armor for the most part can be made with vacuforming.. but would require some complicated methods, like layering thinner and thicker pulls to get the raised detail on the greaves, etc. The models are only being started now, though... so we'll see in the next couple months.

Based off the halo short ODST, you could vac-form most some of it, but the surface has layers. IMO it would be better to sculpt and cast in fiberglass. I notice that it also has a good amount of hardware being put through the material, which would also make fiberglass a better material to work with for this. Im also gettting the impression that they actually did make most of the costume from FG, just based on some pics.

Theres also alot of soft parts as well. I'll post these, which are better references

spartans_3.JPG

spartan_warrior_2.JPG

spartans_1.JPG

Deadguy said:
I agree, but maybe not the way you'd want me to.

I beleive that any costume should be "equal", and that in terms of "levels" (if anything) should be based on accuracy, and reaslism. That's based on the assumption that the costume is supposed to make it seem as though you ARE that character, rather than a stylish representation of it.

For example, any costume that looks like it's "right out of the game" is better (in my opinion) than a more "artistic vision" of even the same suit, no matter what methods were used. My opinion isn't shared by everyone though.. some beleive that it's the art behind it that makes it better, and others suggest that it's how complicated or expensive it was to make it.

You could spend a million dollars and make a grunt costume entirely out of gold, with like two or three moving parts.. or spend 10,000 and have a costume that looks just like the one in the game. Which is a better costume? it all boils down to personal opinon.

However, in "cosplay" where we're trying to be in-character, we should probably respect the "levels" that are in the game.. Marines are impressed by ODST, and even ODST are in awe of Spartans.
I agree with the idea that there needs to be an impression level but one shouldn't be lesser because of that. thats all. However i still feel that it can be just as difficult to make a Spartan suit as it is an ODST. Spartan has alot of detail, ODST has alot also (not as much but still there). Also as for the undersuit how many people with full suits have an undersuit that looks like the one in the game? Honestly, not many have one that looks like the real suit. So, as far as undersuit goes i dont think that can be brought into play until someone does that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan-104 said:
Also as for the undersuit how many people with full suits have an undersuit that looks like the one in the game? Honestly, not many have one that looks like the real suit. So, as far as undersuit goes i dont think that can be brought into play until someone does that.

Based on that argument, no one's got a 100% marine suit with the extra WETA details on it (or hell.. with the game level details) , so that's "out of play" too. You can't do that. It's part of the costume and is an aspect that has to be considered when making a Spartan suit.

You might want to consider that many have tried, and some have come close, while others just assumed they couldn't do it justice, and designed to just call it "black on black".

Another thing that makes the marines easier to do is that it's based on traditional human proportions, if you make it "exactly like the game" the Marines armor can be scaled to fit an "average" person.

The Spartan armor is based on an inhuman form. Ignore the height for a second, and look how far apart his thighs start (at the crotch). If your legs were like that, your bodyweight would pop both bones out of their sockets on a regular basis. The shoulders are similar (though actually achievable to a certain degree, based on how someone works out on their deltoids). Also, the masterchief runs around with a hunchback; he's always slouched over. This throws-off the scaling for armor plates from pictures.. so it's easy to make an abdomen plate that stops too high, and just as easy to make one that rides too low (or pushes down the cod piece). If you make it based on that slouch, then as soon as the coustume wearer straighten's up, the suit looks wrong, however, if they stand like that all day, it's gonna' start hurting them.

You might also look to see how often the armor passes into itself in the game. That's because it would become impossible for the in-game spartans to turn their heads very far, nor look up, etc, if they didn't "cheat" like that.

This is all stuff where a Spartan Armorer has to determine where to draw the line when making the suit into a reality, that a Marine costumer doesn't have to worry about at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back