1st Build ODST build in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario Mario

Hey all! this will be my first official thread here on this site and i just want to say it is great to be here.
Due to the year being what it is i decided to kick myself in the ass and get to actually making something, in college i did enjoy making stuff since i attended a school for art (that being said i am pretty bad at painting) so i thought now was the time to try something new.

For that i bought myself a resin cast of an ODST helmet, since they have always been one of my fav parts in the halo universe, and went to work to truly make it my own.
because of my lack of experience with this stuff i was hesitant but i went in, originally i just spray painted it in a light grey primer and followed up with a nice matte black. From there i went in adding the three white streaks on both sides and top of the helmet. I knew i wanted to make a more beat up to hell version than a standard clean look so next was trying to figure out how to add wear and tear. For this i used a scrubber for washing plates and added a light coating of paint to an end (white, black and silver for now) and went to work. My next plan is to find window tint to darken the visor and maybe just maybe add more wear and tear.

To continue this build i fully intend to make a full ODST costume out of EVA foam while following a guide, my only issue will be this is the first time i will be working with EVA foam plus it is rather hard to find it locally.

Anyways thank you for stopping by!! and please if any of you out there have suggestions, tips or ideas please inform me i am here to learn and improve my skills as best i can.

Attachments

• 20201218_163654.jpg
    20201218_163654.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • 20201218_163710.jpg
    20201218_163710.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
  • 20201218_163728.jpg
    20201218_163728.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 122
That bucket is looking mighty fine dude. Wish is was that far with mine XD

As for finding eva foam. I might have a site for that. Depends on where you live though

This site has a lot of stuff for eva cosplay. Planning on gettingsome stuff from them as well. They do ship to ireland

Their foam is pretty nice, but not that cheap. I have some 5mm 100kg foam from there and some 12mm foam from a sports store and both cost about the same for 1m squared. The density is a lot higher though.

Their foam is pretty nice, but not that cheap. I have some 5mm 100kg foam from there and some 12mm foam from a sports store and both cost about the same for 1m squared. The density is a lot higher though.
Is density of the foam important towards the crafting? As in is it better to use slightly more expensive stuff than cheaper options.

Is density of the foam important towards the crafting? As in is it better to use slightly more expensive stuff than cheaper options.
Yea, density does matter. High density is better quality, in that it will sand better, leaving you with a much nicer texture afterwards. Though in saying that, many people do make amazing costumes just using hardware store floor mats, so it's not impossible to make something great with cheaper materials (as opposed to cosplay-specific foam).

Yea, density does matter. High density is better quality, in that it will sand better, leaving you with a much nicer texture afterwards. Though in saying that, many people do make amazing costumes just using hardware store floor mats, so it's not impossible to make something great with cheaper materials (as opposed to cosplay-specific foam).
Ah thank you a lot! I will say I love how nice and willing to help the 405th is already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back