ODST/Recon Build Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
20200606_193253.jpg
20200606_193244.jpg
20200606_193234.jpg
20200606_193221.jpg
20200606_193142.jpg

Even if I put padding, it's still too big! It sits on my shoulders right now. :U

Helmet is looking pretty solid! There is an issue with the symmetry. If it's possible, see if you can cut a strip of material out the left side and glue the new edges together to lower that section of the dome. I notice, however, a lot of intricate and detailed pieces are involved. If there are too many pieces supporting each other for that, it's really not a big deal. In the end, it's the effort that matters. I'm excited to see the rest of your build!

Helmet is looking pretty solid! There is an issue with the symmetry. If it's possible, see if you can cut a strip of material out the left side and glue the new edges together to lower that section of the dome.

I noticed it looks warped after I finished it. I'll have to toy around with it when I scale it down.

I notice, however, a lot of intricate and detailed pieces are involved. If there are too many pieces supporting each other for that, it's really not a big deal. In the end, it's the effort that matters. I'm excited to see the rest of your build!

What are some small pieces I don't have to worry about? I feel like there still may be a few small pieces that might matter.

The structure of the helmet seems complex, and by the looks of it, all the pieces matter. Looking at it again, I really wouldn't worry about the warp, because creating symmetry for the visor could cost symmetry in other areas. Keep up the work! It still looks real good regardless of the warping.

6/11/20 Update:

I bought a pack of airsoft helmet padding:

20200611_174412.jpg

It came with a little more than what I'm showing, but guess what?
[Singing voice] I was f***ing riiiight!

20200611_174515.jpg

It's still too big for me.

The padding I bought is 0.4 inches thick. I still I need to scale down, which I have. Or do I need to buy thicker padding?

Depends on if you have the energy to remake the helmet. I suspect my helmet is going to be too big, but Im pretty sure Im just gonna fill the space with padding bc I really don't feel like remaking the dam thing. It also provides a little space for fans and mics and whatnot if you're interested in all that fancy stuff.

It looks too big, but it's also hard to judge based on the angles of your photos. Even adjusting your pics to be straight on with head and shoulders as much as possible will help us make a better judgement.

I'd suggest taking some scrap foam and temporarily attaching it on the inside how you think your padding is going to be arranged ultimately and try it on, adjust and repeat. The inside of my helmet has risers made of 10mm foam and then the final padding (also tactical helmet padding) attached to the risers with velcro.

Also remember that the rest of the armor adds some bulk to your form as well, so even if a helmet is a little oversized it's not a big deal. Ultimately you want the helmet to look right compared to the rest of the armor and give you the space you need for padding and any electronics you plan to add without feeling claustrophobic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back