ODST Build - WIP

Discussion in 'Halo Pepakura Costumes' started by ZP180, Dec 4, 2017.

1. ZP180

ZP180

ODST
    It's finally that time! After a bit of a hiatus, I'm finally back to building my ODST, or rather rebuilding since I scrapped all but two small pieces from the first build.

After several of my pieces got destroyed when I moved into my first house last year, I decided to scrap most of what was done and restart. Was waiting until all of the pieces I'm certain I wanted to do pep, and then there was this to do:

2017-11-11 20.29.02.jpg
    Yay! I have a workshop to work in.

Now that things are back in progress, here's two ways to track my progress if you're interested. My Kanban board and progress photo. I update the board every time I do something while often forgetting to update my thread, so Trello is likely to be more up to date than here.

Progress Board: Trello

Progress:
    ProgressPhoto.png

Here's a quick photo of everything lined up before I started hardening.
    2017-12-02 15.21.20.jpg 2017-12-02 15.21.10.jpg

And for a few other projects in the works or completed:
    2017-04-23 19.36.55.jpg 2017-07-30 16.52.55.jpg 2017-12-03 18.41.23.jpg

Links:
    Silhouette Cameo: http://a.co/hreDiuU
    Brushes: http://a.co/eQJQzpx
    Resin: http://a.co/2qH1JTG
    Fiberglass Cloth: http://a.co/ft6zq04
    Bondo: http://a.co/0FqeDkb
    Spreaders: http://a.co/dTyHMrS
    3D Printer: http://a.co/2PcdKD2
    Pants: http://a.co/fbWw73d (color scheme I bought is no longer listed)
    Shirt: http://a.co/10tEfUI (color scheme I bought is no longer listed)
    Boots: http://a.co/6F11ivC

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018 at 10:29 AM
  2. ZP180

ZP180

Found some images taken before to show more detail in what the pepped pieces look(ed) like.

2016-09-21 18.56.16.jpg 2016-09-22 09.11.48.jpg 2017-12-02 15.21.36.jpg
    The shoulder pieces are past hardening and onto bondo. I'll be sure to take some pics of that this weekend.

2017-12-02 15.21.25.jpg 2017-12-02 15.21.33.jpg 2017-12-02 15.21.27.jpg
    I made several attempts at the shin pieces setting them up in both Pepakura Designer and Armorsmith. Even going so far as to edit the original in Blender. The Blender adjustments fit the best, but did not leave me liking the shins, and since during this process, I am also working on losing some pretty significant weight (long term goal: 80lbs), I chose that I would rather scale for a middle ground and ensure that the pieces are more adjustable. The plan is that for a time there will be a gap between the front and back of the shins. As I have not decided on material for the thigh plates (the other area of concern), I will also keep in mind adjustable or remake time as part of this process.

This weekend expect fiberglassing of the chest plate to be done and to get some images of the helmet (cast bought from Sean Bradley) up as that moves through finishing.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    mblackwell1002 likes this.
  3. ZP180

ZP180

Anyone out there? I'm hearing crickets...

More progress this weekend. Took two weekends to get the chest pieces hardened. So glad to be able to put a couple of heaters in the garage and get the temperature up.

Shoutout to PerniciousDuke for the tip in his Reach build thread to pour some resin into the piece between laying down fiberglass and soaking it. Helped tons in lessening my frustration with pieces coming up with my brush (even with spray adhesive). Some pieces could have used more of that on the sides, but oh well, you live and learn.

2017-12-09 17.49.18.jpg
    2017-12-09 17.49.22.jpg
    2017-12-09 17.49.32.jpg
    2017-12-09 17.49.40.jpg

After finishing with fiberglass (forgot to take pictures between these steps) I like to add a layer of rondo, not too thick, but to help overlay some of the sharp edges from not laying my fiberglass completely flat.

2017-12-10 15.45.06.jpg
    2017-12-10 15.45.12.jpg
    2017-12-10 15.45.10.jpg

Over the course of this week, I'll trim any fibers still sticking out that I wasn't able to get with scissors and use my dremel to knock down any sharp edges on the inside.

2017-12-11 06.12.01.jpg

On another note, I printed the handle for the MA37 (found here). Whether or not I use it with the costume is yet to be seen, but I always liked the look of that gun. The image above is scaled down by 10% from the original, but it still feels too big in my hand. Due to some imperfections I'll be playing with my printer settings and reprinting it. What do you guys think about size? Should I scale down to maybe 85% size? 80%?

4. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

I swear I saw this exact thread a year ago, pictures and all... I have a serious Deja Vu problem.

5. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

I didn't see you started your build again! Congrats on the new place! It looks like it is suiting you well. Your fiberglass laying looks really good. Keep it up.

Sub'd

My only advice, being just a step ahead of you in the suit, try to reinforce large flat paper areas with thicker cardboard (like soda boxes) or tongue depressors. The reason is that they will sag, even if you can't see it. Once you start bondoing you'll realize it's taking way too much Bondo just to fill in the middle area of those large "flat" spot.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  6. ZP180

ZP180

As this is a restart, I do have an abandoned thread floating around somewhere, and it's likely my pictures between the two look similar.

I've been using craft sticks for some of the areas I need to lay flat, I think cardboard could be useful for areas that have a slight curve where the craft sticks wouldn't work well.
    2017-12-11 19.54.11.jpg

7. ZP180

ZP180

Project is currently on hold. I was planning on fiberglassing the rest of my pieces this past week while I had off work, but due to temps only reaching the low teens (F) during the day and negative at night, I've haven't been able to work out in the garage. Even with the space being insulated, there's enough gaps with the window and the garage door that my heaters can't get the temps up.

This also put another house project on hold (sigh), so instead I took the week to relax instead. When temps start reaching the 30's again I'll be able to work at it again. Looking like maybe next weekend.

8. Hein B107

Hein B107 New Member

curious as to what progress has been made. i attempt to follow the same route while building so this might be some good reference material

PerniciousDuke likes this.
  9. ZP180

ZP180

Not at lot has been done from the standpoint of the actual costume. As per my previous post, freezing temperatures limited my ability to move forward with hardening the remaining pepped pieces.

We do have some decent temps this week, so yesterday I was able to get one coat of resin on the outside of the shins, knees, and hip plates after work. Tonight I plan to coat the insides of the pieces with resin and perhaps lay down my fiberglass pieces depending on cure time. Temps drop again this weekend, but likely not too bad.

That said, while I haven't been working on the armour recently, I have continued printing out the pieces for the MA37. Everything for the back half of the gun itself is now printed and I'll start sanding, filling, and gluing those pieces together while I start printing the front half of it.

2018-01-11 19.18.10.jpg
    Some of these pieces came out a bit rough, but I'm hoping that at a min they will be good practice for sanding and filling some imperfections even before piecing the parts together.

If you want to check out exactly where I am in the process of each piece, you can check out the trello link in my first post. I do tend to update that immediately as a step progresses, while I plan to update this thread in chunks of work.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  10. ZP180

ZP180

Been awhile since I've had much of note to post. Progress has been slow but steady over the past couple of weeks. I started working on the thigh plates, but had a fair bit of work before even starting to pep.

I needed to scale up fairly significantly in order to make the pieces fit around my legs, but scaling up that far would make them way too tall and require cutting off too much material in order to fit me in all dimensions. The solution? I pulled the piece into Armorsmith to get the scaled dimensions. From there I got my ratios and pulled the model into Blender to adjust it how I needed. Finally I was able to open the model in Pepakura Designer and unfold it.
    Scale_Thighs.PNG Thigh_Plate.PNG

So far one thigh plate has been assembled, and I plan on using 4-6mm foam to make the inner thigh straps. After doing this for the thighs, I'm debating re-doing the shins this way as well. That way they'll stay as a more uniform piece.

2018-02-13 05.45.07.jpg 2018-02-13 05.45.41.jpg

In another step, I finally finished printing off all of the pieces for my MA37 and have started sanding imperfections. I don't plan to get every piece picture perfect before assembling, but I want to get some amount of smoothing done before I glue it and make some parts less accessible.

2018-02-05 05.53.46.jpg 2018-02-05 05.53.55.jpg 2018-02-05 05.54.05.jpg 2018-02-05 05.54.35.jpg

Finally, here's my updated progress board (link in first post) of where everything stands. Nothing is moving further than "Harden" as this point as I want to get all pep pieces to "Shape" before continuing forward. You'll notice a fair bit of red labels (blocked). The ones in "TODO" are blocked on everything else being finished. Those pieces are my nice-to-haves and as such, I don't want to look at the board and keep thinking I need to get started on them right away. Shin pieces are also blocked until I decide whether or not to adjust the scale as described above and re-pep. They'll work sliced as they are, but it would be preferable to not have a gap between the front and back of the shins.

ODST_Trello_2_13.png

Dirtdives and PerniciousDuke like this.
  11. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Great work ZP180 !

You'll be happy about rescaling the thighs. I didn't know ArmorSmith did that when I did mine, so I had to print them big to fit my big thighs in and now they are so tall that they press into my groin/hip areas as I move my legs forward. No fun. :unsure:

Dirtdives likes this.