Odst build

Status
Not open for further replies.

shwarzwald

Hey everyone I'm back again. This time I'm working on odst stuff. Unfortunately I forgot to take more pics during other stages of this, but I figure I can start now.

20151206_114116.jpg
20151206_114128.jpg
As you can see its past pep and currently on bondo and sanding. Though if the weather clears up a bit I need to fiberglass the inside. (Currently it just has two coats of rondo slush.)
Any feedback or if ya notice something terribly wrong feel free to shout. (Also I do know about the chip in the visor area. Gotta build it up.)

Ok finished putting fiberglass on the inside. Quite the pain in the butt. Now to put a thin coat of rondo over it to smooth it out some and to make sure it has enough hardener.
1449439258728-729438433.jpg

So seeing as I only worked in hot weather before I should have reallllly taken into account the drying time difference. When I slushed the rondo around a few pieces of the fiberglass moved. So now we wait and see what happens in a few hours.
20151206_142930.jpg
20151206_142937.jpg

looks good but sand sand sand this is the time where u really have to be picky and make it look as good as you can be sure not to over sand though

- - - Updated - - -

looks great though

Looks great! I hope to see an update soon... And as for the cold weather and long drying times... I feel you, I started pepping in fall and it's cold out here the whole time... so resin takes a day to dry. XD

So seeing as I only worked in hot weather before I should have reallllly taken into account the drying time difference. When I slushed the rondo around a few pieces of the fiberglass moved. So now we wait and see what happens in a few hours.

Yeah, the colder it is, the longer it takes to dry. It also has a tendency of warping the piece if left too long w/o being able to dry. Try using a portable heater in your work area and possibly a fan to blow the heated air to it. Don't put the piece directly on the the heat source.

Yeah, the colder it is, the longer it takes to dry. It also has a tendency of warping the piece if left too long w/o being able to dry. Try using a portable heater in your work area and possibly a fan to blow the heated air to it. Don't put the piece directly on the the heat source.
Just out of view was the portable heater. Though given the garage temp wasn't helping too much.
On that note though update time. Everything has dried and I have repetitiously sanded and gone back over (rinse and repeat.). Sadly its going to need a lot more work to be perfectly smooth. Also once that is done I need to make adjustments to make sure the visor will fit properly.
Here is a pic of it just loosely sitting in there. (As well a a shot of the bad sanding job.)
20151207_123356.jpg
20151207_123406.jpg

stop being so critical. It's looking great. remember, not everyone is going to be that close to see slight imperfections. It's all in your head. people and you will love the end result. just stick w/ it and everything will be just fine....

I agree with Dirtdives - the helmet looks indeed GREAT so far and you're still working on it. With the visor I think already looks veyr cool. :D

stop being so critical. It's looking great. remember, not everyone is going to be that close to see slight imperfections. It's all in your head. people and you will love the end result. just stick w/ it and everything will be just fine....

Its probably a bad habit of mine. If anything I gotta get those blocky angles out.

Aso fun fact that visor is just the test fitter. I have a mirror red one. Though if things go smoothly I may dye the tester visor black.

Hitting the necro point! :p I'm just teasing. Just wanted to see if you had any photo updates??

Hitting the necro point! :p I'm just teasing. Just wanted to see if you had any photo updates??

Unfortunately with the coldness and work I have been rather unwillingly to go out to that cold garage to finish up the bondo stage. However the weather has been cooperative the last few days, so I may try to finish shaping it and smoothing it out. (Gonna be fun to get that visor the way I want.)

I hear you on the cold weather. Does look like it's starting to warm up a little bit though. I think you'll be able to hit your goal. How about the other pieces? Are you going to pep the chest and shoulders?

Looks great! I hope to see an update soon... And as for the cold weather and long drying times... I feel you, I started pepping in fall and it's cold out here the whole time... so resin takes a day to dry. XD
Marawuff what part of the cold world are you from, I am in northern Saskatchewan, Canada, -20°C here today, kind of nice out. I do a lot of fibreglass work in my shop, so I have the luxury of a heated work space I don't live in, When I did not have that at hand, I did the following,I made a curing oven,,,,,,, Get a cardboard box that is of a size large enough to hold the largest parts, one about 2x2x4feet would work great, wrap the outside with insulation or heavy blanket, at one end place a few opennings to let air out [you could get creative and make the exit hole adjustable], at the other make similar but slightly larger holes, place a small space heater just inside these holes[500-1500 watts is lots]. You will need a removable lid or some kind of opening to put the parts in and out of your new curing oven. The exit and the heater thermostat serve as your temperature regulator. You could line it with aluminum foil. This system could be used on a balconey, deck, unheated building or simply outside. be cautious in the usejust like the cool hampers curing resin/rondo, we do not want to melt stuff either. Experiment with something like this for the cold weather that slows down your project

Marawuff what part of the cold world are you from, I am in northern Saskatchewan, Canada, -20°C here today, kind of nice out. I do a lot of fibreglass work in my shop, so I have the luxury of a heated work space I don't live in, When I did not have that at hand, I did the following,I made a curing oven,,,,,,, Get a cardboard box that is of a size large enough to hold the largest parts, one about 2x2x4feet would work great, wrap the outside with insulation or heavy blanket, at one end place a few opennings to let air out [you could get creative and make the exit hole adjustable], at the other make similar but slightly larger holes, place a small space heater just inside these holes[500-1500 watts is lots]. You will need a removable lid or some kind of opening to put the parts in and out of your new curing oven. The exit and the heater thermostat serve as your temperature regulator. You could line it with aluminum foil. This system could be used on a balconey, deck, unheated building or simply outside. be cautious in the usejust like the cool hampers curing resin/rondo, we do not want to melt stuff either. Experiment with something like this for the cold weather that slows down your project

Oh I know this one, I noticed in her spartan service number post that she is in Poland! :) Pretty cool. As for your makeshift oven, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I was planning to do something similar. People should be aware though that fiberglass resin fumes are considered highly flammable. Make sure you have those vents somewhere!

I hear you on the cold weather. Does look like it's starting to warm up a little bit though. I think you'll be able to hit your goal. How about the other pieces? Are you going to pep the chest and shoulders?

I'm looking into options for 3d printing most pieces. Otherwise I would probably go down the road of eva foam. Helmets are about the only thing I would still pep.

Like it was already said, I'm from Europe, Poland. We just had here -20, but it is warmer now being between -2-5... One of the warmest winters. xD Climate is changing.
But still, even in this temperature the resin doesn't cure. I started doing rondo for everything, because it doesn't have any problems curing. A wonder or I'd have to have everything on hold and unfortunately I can't bring the pieces inside to avoid anything toxic or what-so-ever... or more accurately, if I'd do that I'd get brutally murdered by the peeps at home. xD
So I work in the basement which isn't isolated so there is pretty much as cold as outside. :/ I don't have a heater or anything, but I was thinking about something like that... but yeah, don't have that and when I asked about something similar, I was told "no way" because it uses a lot of energy. o.o (I live in a big family house with some family members and I'm definitely NOT the alpha XD)
When I tried with resin, it stopped curing, it is left just sticky and after that it never fully cures... but with rondo - it takes more time but it fully cures. Bit strange, but yeah, it works.
Thank you very much for the tips. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back