Odst Clear To Polarized Visor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForgedReclaimer

Well... iv been thinking lately about ways to create the ODST visor effect but since i have yet to build a pep of ANYTHING (you can stop reading here if its a concern) i was going to test some idea's in 3ds or photoshop. Before i go and do some testing the one thing i need to know is How much head room does the ODST helm have in the face and forehead to top head region? i know that different pep models and different heads have different results but i just need a general idea.

also i have searched and hunted for any side shots or blueprints for the ODST helm i could use in photoshop for help but so fare i haven't found anything so if anyone has one i could use the help? it would also help for the 3d model i will be creating for it.

sorry if this is an inconvenience thread, just exploring some ideas.

if i understood you correctly, you wanted to pull off the tint to no tint effect?

Ive already theorized a couple of methods. First one would be using transitional lens, only problem is that i have no idea if they are sold in sheets.

My next plan would be using a tinted visor and have rows of small lights mounted along the inside of the helmet.

If you make the standard size helmet, theres plenty of room from the forehead to the top area of the visor

The effect in ODST and WE ARE ODST was pulled off using computer editing and OLED screens.

What about a double visor, The outer one is clear, with a small lip on the inside of the hemlet. Then a tinted inner visor that comes down and hits the lip to hold it in place. the inner visor could be held up by a open close bearing simular to that of a flip cell phone. Jerk you head up the inner visor goes up , jerk down it closes. Its is possible but would require thin visors, better padding to take in to account the 2 visors and the open/close system.

Last edited by a moderator:
HoL said:
What about a double visor, The outer one is clear, with a small lip on the inside of the hemlet. Then a tinted inner visor that comes down and hits the lip to hold it in place. the inner visor could be held up by a open close bearing simular to that of a flip cell phone. Jerk you head up the inner visor goes up , jerk down it closes. Its is possible but would require thin visors, better padding to take in to account the 2 visors and the open/close system.

this is alot like what i was planning, although it was going to be a two part visor cut at the lip so when it folds up it would use less space and when it comes down it would give the illusion of sliding color change. this would require some hard work with real visors that's why i wanted a blueprint so i could make my own odst model and develop a visor building system that will work with it, i have some ideas to cheap easy odst visor making i wanted to try in max for some easy to bend clear sheets of thin plastic and a pattern.

your lookink for sumtin called a photo chromic visor iv been on the search but no luck on finding wut i need but thats wut you'll need/ PHOTO CHROMIC VISOR

P.S. those glases that TRANSITION

working on a blueprint from the weta odst pictures, i traced them with pen tool and they STILL suck lol

odstblueprint.jpg

i just made a diagram of how it would work, i can see some flaws to fix. The visor would snap down fast so you wouldn't even notice the two parts but the safety issue would be to keep the tongue and lips and nose away while it snaps.

clear visor outside and snap visor inside.

visorprocess.jpg

ForgedReclaimer said:
Well... iv been thinking lately about ways to create the ODST visor effect but since i have yet to build a pep of ANYTHING (you can stop reading here if its a concern) i was going to test some idea's in 3ds or photoshop. Before i go and do some testing the one thing i need to know is How much head room does the ODST helm have in the face and forehead to top head region? i know that different pep models and different heads have different results but i just need a general idea.

also i have searched and hunted for any side shots or blueprints for the ODST helm i could use in photoshop for help but so fare i haven't found anything so if anyone has one i could use the help? it would also help for the 3d model i will be creating for it.

sorry if this is an inconvenience thread, just exploring some ideas.

Rofl I had the same Idea with the lights inside the helmet.

I also had another idea about somehow getting a thin fiberoptic wire

through the lines of the visor.

Idk, Its being formulated in my mind still lol.

A very interesting topic.

What you're interested in is not photochromism. Photochromatic surfaces change their light transmission properties in response to the amount of light entering them. They are good for glasses that get progressively less transparent the brighter it gets outside. Kinda meh for the effect you want to achieve.

What you want is electrochromism (CommanderFluffy pointed that out already). Electrochromic material changes its light transmission properties when current is applied. This is basically what existing "smart glass" surfaces use. You could potentially contact Australian iGlass and ask about their Thin Film (there are other companies doing this stuff as well - this is just a starting point if you're willing to explore this idea). Based on the specs on their site it seems like something that can be used in a small, portable solutions (5W/m square required to switch between states). Obviously this may be prohibitively expensive (I don't really know what is the price of this stuff - I guess it's not cheap).

what about putting lights inside of the helmet and using a tinted visor ? would it have the same effect as when a car with tinted windows has its dome light turned on?

visorprocess.jpg

Thats what i was thinking but you could use a curved one-piece, instead of a two-piece. Also another way to do the two-piece instead of both from the top one top one bottom. All movement could be spring, servo or ball bearing loaded, the choice is to what works.

Examples

doubleV.jpg

HoL said:
Thats what i was thinking but you could use a curved one-piece, instead of a two-piece. Also another way to do the two-piece instead of both from the top one top one bottom. All movement could be spring, servo or ball bearing loaded, the choice is to what works.

The problem with single piece is that it is too large to be hidden inside the helmet. It just won't fit. Frog eyelid is an interesting concept and the only reason why it wouldn't work for some seriously anal-retentive people is that "We are ODST" features polarization change from top to bottom. This can't be emulated with pieces moving from both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back