ODST EVA foam upgrade WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emp Frosty

Member DIN
S144
Hey all I'm starting this thread to get some feedback on my WIP ODST set. I've already got one set made from EVA foam which I used the templates from Andrew DFT on youtube but I'm trying to make it look better and am using pepakure files this time around (still out of EVA of course). I'll be trying to post pictures of the parts I make as much as I can but here's whats in progress at the moment.

Reach ODST helmet: Complete
Under vest: In progress
Chest plate: On hold
Shoulders (soft base): Complete
Sniper shoulder: Not started
Regular shoulder X2: 1 of 2 complete
Bicep pieces: Complete
Gauntlets: On hold
Small torso pieces: On hold
Hip pieces: Complete
Butt, belt, and crotch plates: Complete
Thigh pieces: On hold
Shin/knee pads: On hold
Boot covers: On hold

Additional things I plan to make or remake for this build.

Standard Ruck: In progress
Sniper rifle: Still searching for a good unfold
DMR: Still searching for a good unfold
Battle rifle: Still searching for a good unfold
Assault rifle: In progress (fixing up current one)

I'll try to update before I start a piece and once its complete as well but I'm open to tips of working with pepakura as well an any additional tip of working with foam I might not already know. Also if anyone wants to know where I got the pep files they're all from the armory here.

So I'll be making some changes to my original plan of making a while new set and will be recycling parts of my old set for time purposes. The new set includes the following recycled pieces and newly made pieces:

New Reach ODST helmet
Recycled chest piece and vest set up
New soft shoulder and bicep pieces
Recycled and resized gauntlets
New belt and hip plates set up
Recycled thigh plates
Recycled knee and shin armor
New or recycled boot armor
New standard ruck
Recycled assault rifle

This will be the new build I'll be going with and some pieces may end up changing depending on time before colossal con.

Last edited:
All the images are coming across as errors my friend. try a direct upload into the message as thumbnails.

But over all It is a good start under the DFT. But if you are going to the Game style ODST sometimes the stuff is quite a battle to make. But overall, keep plugging along trooper. Need help with the ODST stuff just ask. I am making my third ODST suit.

All the images are coming across as errors my friend. try a direct upload into the message as thumbnails.

But over all It is a good start under the DFT. But if you are going to the Game style ODST sometimes the stuff is quite a battle to make. But overall, keep plugging along trooper. Need help with the ODST stuff just ask. I am making my third ODST suit.

That might have been because I had the album they were in set to private but I changed it so it might work now? Also here are pictures of the helmet that i messed up several times while putting it together and a comparison to the DFT helmet.

You can just tell the difference. you actually made you DFT really well. Now I gotta ask, are you using hot glue or contact cement?

But honestly I like it is the halo reach helmet and your silhouette is there. try a sanding blocks in different grits to smooth you edges more for the seams if they are uneven, but sand then heat then go to a finer grit and do it again. This should turn out smooth . But you are doing great Looks like the same things when I did my first foam helmet. I can't wait to see more and how it turns out for you

I'm using hot glue for all the awkward edges and I'm thinking of using contact cement on the edges i can't mess up too bad like on the under vest. I haven't used contact cement before so I didn't want to jump to the highest difficulty with it and try it on the helmet with so many rounded edges. I'm also waiting on the visor before I continue to make sure i don't put in too much effort and then it turns out I gotta re-scale everything but if I did it right the scaling should be just right for it.

the contact cement isn't really hard as in you have to plan sometimes for somethings. Plus too if your edges are clean when you put it on start at the face to make sure that the edges are flush. less sanding an seam filling in the end.

A question for you on contact cement before the next update, do you usually heat form/heat treat your pieces before you apply it? Or do you just go with the raw shape and just bent it into the shape you need?

I try to make it a habit to heat seal all my foam stuff before I apply the contact cement. Even high density foam is still foam, and can suck in the glue.

That being said though, if you just watch it and be patient for the contact cement to dry a bit before attaching the pieces together, it really isn't that huge of a deal.

On the other hand, I've never had a good seam using hot glue. This is particularly true on curved pieces.

I usually get some pretty decent seams using hot glue but that helmet was just the death of me for some reason. I've decided to hold off on using contact cement though till I can practice some things with it. Here is an update of the next piece though. Had to enlarge the neck hole for my fat head. :[

Your build is outstanding. Well done so far. Looking forward to seeing more.

On the hot glue versus contact cement thing, I started with hot glue but once I started using contact cement, I never looked back. There are still occasions where the hot glue works better for securing a piece that is surrounded on all sides and would be impossible to place with contact cement. I usually "forget" to seal my foam before applying the contact cement, but also tend to run a base layer of contact cement to account for the absorption then a second bead to sit on top of the first. Once connected, the pieces absolutely will not come apart. Once fully cured and dry, the whole piece can then be heat formed into the shape I am trying to achieve.

Update of current progress as of today before I went to work. Started filling seams on the helmet and sanding it. Made a few of the small pieces for the belt and the like. Also made new versions of the under parts for the shoulders and decided to permanently attach the bicep piece to them.

EDIT: sorry for the double site went weird on me

It's been a long while since I've updated but due to some personal issues I havent been able to craft a whole lot. Fortunately though I've got it mostly sorted out and have decided to make some changes to my build which I'll update in the OP. I'll be posting some update pictures probably this weekend.

Last edited:
As I said i would here is a progress pic of the where I am on the ruck for my ODST set. Im actually thinking of keeping it like this and going with a recon style variant ODST almost like how Dare has no shoulder pieces and then mounting a biofoam canister to the side and clips to hang my assault rife from on the other side. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• 20190518_201119.jpg
    20190518_201119.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 330
  • 20190518_201126.jpg
    20190518_201126.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 369
Additionally here is the current state of my build. Just about finished sealing all the armor and my assault rifle as well as my custom side arm. All that's left is finish the ruck and minor attachments then seal the rest and paint.

Attachments

• 20190518_201013.jpg
    20190518_201013.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 410
  • 20190518_201052.jpg
    20190518_201052.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 411
  • 20190518_202745.jpg
    20190518_202745.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 390
Status
Not open for further replies.