ODST foam armor and 3D printed helmet: Full completed build!

jakemisra

New Member
Hey everyone! Long time lurker and first time poster. I just wanted to show off my ODST I've been working on over the last 6 months. My brother and I hit crunch time to have the armor ready for C2E2 in Chicago at the beginning of summer, and then crunch time again to hit Wizard World Comic Con just last weekend. The foam armor patterns were all off Andrew DFT's YouTube channel, and then I pulled the helmet 3D file from Thingiverse. Full disclosure: we had access to a full machine shop, belt sanders, paint booth, etc. Definitely made the process much easier. Enjoy!

Very early pictures of the first foam parts
20151219_185413.jpg

The straps on the arm are made out of the middle section of cardboard
20160228_164009.jpg

First coats of plastidip
20160228_184338.jpg

Bought some toys
20160305_124221.jpg

Very lucky to have access to a paintbooth. Did some
20160305_133310.jpg
20160305_145346.jpg
20160305_145318.jpg
20160305_191019.jpg

Rustoleum hammer paint is so nice!
20160306_171209.jpg
20160306_182118.jpg

Didn't take a lot of pictures in between, but it was maybe 3-4 passes on finishing.
20160322_082617.jpg

Back to armor, before dip
20160306_170450.jpg
After dip!
20160306_182101.jpg

Never skip leg day.
20160312_233653.jpg
20160318_205428.jpg

20160318_182933.jpg

I don't know how to rotate images... But here's some damage getting applied
20160318_221959.jpg

Made a stencil on a piece of a Dunkin Donuts box, turned out okay but not nearly as nice as the end product (coming up down below)
20160319_033421.jpg

Bringing them out for a spin!
IMG_4876.JPG

Hoping Gunny doesn't see us drinking...
IMG_4910.JPG

Sup Chief!
20160319_190424.jpg

Okay so now that we did one con without the helmet, it was time to repair the costumes, fix some functional stuff, and add more props: including a helmet!
Back to the grindstone...

First of 12 parts (per helmet) that I 3D printed.
20160606_074846.jpg

Some parts with fun supports on them
20160715_154551.jpg

(I reached the post limit, will continue below)
 

jakemisra

New Member
Some close ups. Those seams give us a lot of trouble later.
tcCGuyp.jpg


9X9zdKm.jpg



Printed! 350 hours of printing.
5HpU74o.jpg


5HpU74o.jpg


So 700 hours of 3D printing for both...
WnRNtTw.jpg


Now lots of Bondo and sanding.
yH7xlqd.jpg



zut21Qw.jpg



e5YPSmz.jpg



DQ2ylxl.jpg


4tBM9q5.jpg


After the lamest version of "vacuforming," we had some lenses.
7b4iWX5.jpg


Used iDye Poly black fabric dye for both of the lenses. Kept at 145 degrees F, they dye in like 10 minutes.
J7iU3Wp.jpg


0bsg4Ht.jpg


Now for the fun stuff. I have a friend that owns a printing shop, and he hooked it up with all custom decals for the whole costume.
xnadtXb.jpg


SZwcVO8.jpg


5oV92oR.jpg


CtWKonI.jpg


9MpbY0j.jpg


3D printed stuff
PYKB7cp.jpg


J3mTYWh.jpg


LXOvjyR.jpg


TOCJ510.jpg


I think I reached the limit again
 

Attachments

jakemisra

New Member
Thanks so much! This was our first build too. Unfortunately my brother is tapping out. He's going to make this costume better but said he wouldn't do another one this decade.

Me on the other hand, there will be more to come!
 
Top