ODST Foam build - Stepping up from DFT (Finished Build Pic on Pg. #11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it, but the hexagon is a little in- your- face. (Pun not intended). Maybe a little less obvious? It looks way cool, though
Agreed. Instead of a silver, maybe have a slightly lighter grey than the visor itself. Just shuttle enough to notice

I tend to agree as well. Probably should have used the smoked vinyl for the hex pattern versus the sliver window tint. Think I'll see if my friends wife can do another sheet with that. Probably be easier to cut and form as well. T-Minus 5 days to my first con in the armor and still tinkering. :D

Thanks for input!

I tend to agree as well. Probably should have used the smoked vinyl for the hex pattern versus the sliver window tint. Think I'll see if my friends wife can do another sheet with that. Probably be easier to cut and form as well. T-Minus 5 days to my first con in the armor and still tinkering. :D

Thanks for input!
Can you walk us through on how you made it?

Trying out a hexagon pattern for the ODST visor. Not perfect by far as this is the first trial run.

Thoughts?
View attachment 267316
I like the colour choice but I think the line weight is too heavy and up close it'll detract from the other fine details that you've spent a lot of time on. That could just be me though, my eye blends the colours at a distance (thumbnail) and is drawn to the visor up close (full size image) to see what's going on there.

LOL! nothing destroys your motivation like hearing "its cool and all, but........."

Just kidding!!! I more wanted to test the theory out and even had the same doubts with the "brightness" of the silver hex pattern. I do sincerely appreciate everyone's honesty. I also reversed the colors on another visor (Silver mirrored visor w/ Blue hex), but it was even more in your face.

I won't have enough time to pull off another sheet of the hex pattern in any color, so I will just go with a plain colored visor for now. Unfortunately for me, I also made a mirror tint backed smoke visor and am now torn between the blue one in the pictures and the smoke one. Decisions, decisions..........

Then there is still building the vac-forming set up. I have all the materials, just need to make the time to do it..........

LOL! nothing destroys your motivation like hearing "its cool and all, but........."

Just kidding!!! I more wanted to test the theory out and even had the same doubts with the "brightness" of the silver hex pattern. I do sincerely appreciate everyone's honesty. I also reversed the colors on another visor (Silver mirrored visor w/ Blue hex), but it was even more in your face.

I won't have enough time to pull off another sheet of the hex pattern in any color, so I will just go with a plain colored visor for now. Unfortunately for me, I also made a mirror tint backed smoke visor and am now torn between the blue one in the pictures and the smoke one. Decisions, decisions..........

Then there is still building the vac-forming set up. I have all the materials, just need to make the time to do it..........
Black would look good, but I like the blue better because it is more unique and fits the look better. How did you do the hex pattern? Window tint with holes cut out? Personally I think the blue with either slightly darker or lighter shades of blue than the tint you have would look much better, as it is subtle, but gives enough attention to draw you in

Black would look good, but I like the blue better because it is more unique and fits the look better. How did you do the hex pattern? Window tint with holes cut out? Personally I think the blue with either slightly darker or lighter shades of blue than the tint you have would look much better, as it is subtle, but gives enough attention to draw you in

A friend of mine's wife has a cricut cutting machine and I asked if she could make me a sheet of hexagon cutouts at 1/4". I provided her with the mirrored window film in two colors. Sapphire blue and standard silver mirror. She cut the sheets out for me and is truly an awesome person being as she then had to remove all the little cutouts from her tacky backing pad.

From there, I traced out the visor template onto some .020 PETG, applied the sapphire blue to one side, then the silver hex pattern to the other. Cut it all out and literally "pepped" the plastic into a visor. FYI: a 3" hand seamer is awesome for making mountain and valley folds in thin plastic sheeting!

I do agree with everyone's opinions though, 1/4" hex's do seem a bit large for the visor and the line size as well. I am not sure how fine the cricut machine can cut, but fully intend to explore the idea of reducing the hex and line sizes. I told my friend's wife I would buy all the blades and material she needs for doing this for me.

Just for reference, here is a pic of the silver with the blue hex outline. Only problem with this was that the two films had to be layered on top of each other versus one on each side. That left air pockets in each hex cell and when formed, it created a headache inducing kaleidoscope effect. You can see what I am talking about in the upper right part of the pic.

A friend of mine's wife has a cricut cutting machine and I asked if she could make me a sheet of hexagon cutouts at 1/4". I provided her with the mirrored window film in two colors. Sapphire blue and standard silver mirror. She cut the sheets out for me and is truly an awesome person being as she then had to remove all the little cutouts from her tacky backing pad.

From there, I traced out the visor template onto some .020 PETG, applied the sapphire blue to one side, then the silver hex pattern to the other. Cut it all out and literally "pepped" the plastic into a visor. FYI: a 3" hand seamer is awesome for making mountain and valley folds in thin plastic sheeting!

View attachment 267372

I do agree with everyone's opinions though, 1/4" hex's do seem a bit large for the visor and the line size as well. I am not sure how fine the cricut machine can cut, but fully intend to explore the idea of reducing the hex and line sizes. I told my friend's wife I would buy all the blades and material she needs for doing this for me.

Just for reference, here is a pic of the silver with the blue hex outline. Only problem with this was that the two films had to be layered on top of each other versus one on each side. That left air pockets in each hex cell and when formed, it created a headache inducing kaleidoscope effect. You can see what I am talking about in the upper right part of the pic.

View attachment 267373
I had a similar method with my tint, but I had silver one way tint with a transparent green over it to make it a green mirror. I had to "DROWN"the tint in water so it didnt stick to each other and leave bubblea, and then squeegied the water out. I want to add a hex pattern and was using a hole puncher to cut out boxes using painters tape, and was going to mist a slightly darker green spray paint over it to leave the lines, but there are no holepunchers small enough...

I love the cricut idea!

Also, was the tint you used regular window tint or friction form?

Last edited:
I had a similar method with my tint, but I had silver one way tint with a transparent green over it to make it a green mirror. I had to "DROWN"the tint in water so it didnt stick to each other and leave bubblea, and then squeegied the water out. I want to add a hex pattern and was using a hole puncher to cut out boxes using painters tape, and was going to mist a slightly darker green spray paint over it to leave the lines, but there are no holepunchers small enough...

I love the cricut idea!

Also, was the tint you used regular window tint or friction form?
If you didnt use friction form window tint, the adhesive that normaly binds to glass will have a chemical reaction with plastics, releasing gasses and causing bubbling. That may be what happened

Great details on this ODST armor set! Good progress pics along the way too. You have stepped it up from the DFT build. Well done.

I'll be checking out that EVA foam supplier for the double-sided smooth. It's worth paying a bit more to get what you want.

Great details on this ODST armor set! Good progress pics along the way too. You have stepped it up from the DFT build. Well done.

I'll be checking out that EVA foam supplier for the double-sided smooth. It's worth paying a bit more to get what you want.

Thank you. It was quite a challenge to build, but worth all the effort and if anything I did during the process helps someone else out, then that makes it all the better.

Just as a note on the foam supplier: The foam isn't true EVA, but a similar brand called Cross Linked Polyethylene (XLPE). Overall, I find it a tad less dense than EVA foam and it will not score the same way that EVA does. Once scored and heated, it tends to seal up the score line versus separate it. Aside from that, my entire ODST build was done using XLPE.

Thank you. It was quite a challenge to build, but worth all the effort and if anything I did during the process helps someone else out, then that makes it all the better.

Just as a note on the foam supplier: The foam isn't true EVA, but a similar brand called Cross Linked Polyethylene (XLPE). Overall, I find it a tad less dense than EVA foam and it will not score the same way that EVA does. Once scored and heated, it tends to seal up the score line versus separate it. Aside from that, my entire ODST build was done using XLPE.
Thanks for the added info on the XLPE material. That will make a difference in a few techniques we all have grown accustomed to with true EVA foam. I'll keep that in mind before I buy a truckload full.
Great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back