ODST Foam build - Stepping up from DFT (Finished Build Pic on Pg. #11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elcorio

Hello all. After building a couple sets of DFT armor for my kids, I thought I would make one for myself. I made the helmet using lessons learned from the earlier build. Things like adding cutouts for fans with working intakes on the cheek pieces, etc. When I got to the chest part, I wanted to make it easier to get on and off and bought several sets of the quick release motorcycle straps. By doing this, I was able to release the side and top shoulder portion. It allowed for easy donning of the chest armor. My plan was to build the shoulder epaulets/straps, reinforce the underside with a thin (shaped) metal and use Velcro to hold it on. Side plates were going to be built in the same fashion. This was all good, but there was a nagging in my thoughts that this build was just a bigger version of what I had already done.

While the DFT builds are great for simplicity and learning, they just seemed to be lacking and I didn’t want to go that route again. I wanted my build to be closer to the actual ODST look that I’ve seen many members in here pull off.

So…….I scrapped the whole DFT build and started the chest armor from scratch using the foam pep files found within the 405th. The helmet is my version of the DFT build, but I feel it is still far removed from what the actual ODST helmet looks like. I will more than likely scrap the helmet as well and follow the foam pep file for that.

I am a former police officer and still have many friends who are, so my paint scheme will follow a two-tone color with a black base with blue accenting throughout. Maybe some gray and silver to enhance the color pallet.

I also started on a pepakura Master Chief build, but with the weather in my parts and the lack of any covered outside work area, I am afraid fiberglass and bondo in the summer is an absolute no-go.

Anyhow, here are some images of what I have so far. I will update as I finish different sections.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome if you see something that could be done differently or better.

20180428_192501.jpg 20180428_192508.jpg 20180429_103632.jpg 20180429_142809.jpg 20180619_214721.jpg 20180619_214802.jpg 20180623_210924.jpg 20180623_210930.jpg 20180623_210948.jpg 20180630_215523.jpg 20180630_215551.jpg 20180715_211144.jpg 20180715_211151.jpg 20180718_213952.jpg 20180718_214253.jpg IMAG1900.jpg IMAG1901.jpg IMAG1902.jpg

Last edited:
The chest rig looks very nice. Very clean cuts and smooth seams.
What thickness foam are you using? I don't if it's me or how the photos are showing up on my phone but the foam looks quite thick.
Either way, the build is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see more progress shots.

The chest rig looks very nice. Very clean cuts and smooth seams.
What thickness foam are you using? I don't if it's me or how the photos are showing up on my phone but the foam looks quite thick.
Either way, the build is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see more progress shots.

The base foam is 1/2". For the smaller pieces, I use between 3/8" & 1/4". It all depends on how I want to manipulate the foam.

Looks great! May I ask where you're getting your foam? I notice it's double sided smooth. I cant find affordable foam that's double sided anywhere.

Looks great! May I ask where you're getting your foam? I notice it's double sided smooth. I cant find affordable foam that's double sided anywhere.

Thanks all! I get my foam from here:

Cross-Linked Polyethylene Foam, Closed Cell Foam Padding, Foam Rubber Sheets

Its XLPE (Cross-Linked Polyethylene). They offer free shipping for orders over $75.00, so I usually just order full sheets in a variety of sizes depending on what I am getting low on. A 3/8" 4' X 6' sheet runs for $28.99, so I'll get two of those and a smaller sheet of 1/4" just to get me over the $75.00 mark. At those sizes (4' x 6'), you get A LOT of foam and depending on what I am building, that will last me most of the year.

Now, it doesn't have the same scoring properties of true EVA foam and when you do score it and try to get it to separate, it wants to seal up on itself. However, I tend to use 3-5mm EVA foam sheets for detail work and will just score those. I tried the floor mats when I was just learning and didn't care for the textured side, so I would rather just pay a bit more and get something I like and prefer.

Hope that helps.

Got the first shoulder piece done. I wasn't a big fan of the foam pep file, so I used the actual paper pep file and kind of had to free hand some of it. The center pivot part was quite the challenge and didn't come out the way the files show it, but I like the way it came out. Did the same thing for the shoulder bases as well. All the parts will stay separate until I get each piece sealed and painted. Then they'll all be brought together as a total piece.

20180722_124256[1].jpg 20180721_162303.jpg 20180722_110907.jpg 20180722_111147.jpg 20180722_111201.jpg 20180722_111737.jpg 20180722_111848.jpg 20180722_111942.jpg 20180722_112047.jpg

Last edited:
The cuff you have for it is great. Where did you get that file? It's much more functional that the simple foam armband the I rigged together.

I really like the way that came out. Your foam work is impeccable. Do you plan to attach the shoulder to the chest piece? It looks like it stays pretty well on its own.

Last edited:
I really like the way that came out. Your gown work is impeccable. Do you plan to attach the shoulder to the chest piece? It looks like it stays pretty well on its own.

It stays on its own while posing. LOL, but I fear that moving around with my arms down will cause it to fall. My initial thought is to keep it off the chest rig to allow for a better range of motion. Maybe a snap sewn into the BDU's I'll use with the other mounted into the shoulder base or do the same with velcro. Worse case scenario, I'll work in nylon webbing to attach it to the chest, but planning to try to stay away from that option.

The cuff you have for it is great. Where did you get that file? It's much more functional that the simple foam armband the I rigged together.
Not sure if this is the correct way to do this with a link, but it is in the armory.

Halo 3: ODST - UNSC ODST

It isn't in the foam file section. It is the pepakura file title "halo-3-odst-unsc-odst-shoulder-base". I scaled it, pepped it out, split it apart, and traced it out on foam. Had to add bevels to some parts and a dremel sanding to smooth them out. I added the small foam buckle looking piece just to reinforce the one seam that held it around my bicep.
20180722_130636-1 (2).jpg

Not sure if this is the correct way to do this with a link, but it is in the armory.

Halo 3: ODST - UNSC ODST

It isn't in the foam file section. It is the pepakura file title "halo-3-odst-unsc-odst-shoulder-base". I scaled it, pepped it out, split it apart, and traced it out on foam. Had to add bevels to some parts and a dremel sanding to smooth them out. I added the small foam buckle looking piece just to reinforce the one seam that held it around my bicep.
View attachment 257522
Sweet. Much appreciated.

That is some flawless seam work. :O

Its always fun to see what different styles people create with their sets, whether it's just from equipment standpoints or actual armor aesthetic changes.

You guys are jerks! Kidding! Kidding!

Holy smokes, wish someone would have forewarned me on how difficult the shins were to build! I looked at the file and thought "pretty big pieces, how hard can it be?". Getting the bevels in the right angle and figuring out what pieces to bevel was the biggest challenge. Sizing was also a bit off and I didn't realize it until the whole front section was built. This led to having to adjust the back side a bit and creating modified templates while trying to maintain the original look and the aesthetics of the piece. The adjusted sizing on the fly worked wonderfully as I can slide my foot through it and it has just enough room to allow for boots and BDU's to be worn. With those added, it should be just snug enough to stay in place with little to no movement or need for strapping. Still need to go in and clean up some of the edging from the bevels and fill a couple of spots, but I'm finally pleased with the way it turned out.

In one of the pics, I included the several attempted fails and oversized piece. One more shin to go then its on to the gauntlets! I fear that these last three pieces will tax my abilities!

20180808_215937.jpg 20180808_220014.jpg 20180809_053759.jpg 20180808_220027.jpg

Last edited:
You speak of difficulties with the shins and the struggles of having them look good, but I tell you what, I think those look fantastic! In a few places I can see that you mean by cleaning the thing up, but if my shins turn out that well I will consider myself blessed! Great work!

I built the same shins. But I did it over a year ago when I first started my build and I was just learning foamsmithing. I was lazy and didn't do any beveling where it was needed. I will eventually rebuild them and make sure to do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back