ODST Foam build - Stepping up from DFT (Finished Build Pic on Pg. #11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First and foremost, a huge thanks to pipninja and Paiganboi for the tips and insight. Magnets and split seams................Got me thinking. So thanks fellas!

While pondering these options and looking at the repeated failed pieces, the thought dawned on me. What if instead of splitting the seams, I just removed the whole wrist portion altogether and used magnets to reattach it? Could this work? It was time to put the theory to the test. I tried a couple more times using the foam pep files and it just wasn't going to happen so out came the saran wrap and duct tape. I was going to completely wing this........FREEHAND! By allowing for the complete removal of the wrist portion, I can get my hand through the forearm piece and then reattach the wrist portion.

Not as game accurate as I would have preferred, but given the hair graying aggravation in the repeated building of this piece, I'll take it.

20180902_210008.jpg 20180902_210020.jpg 20180902_210105.jpg 20180902_210140.jpg 20180902_210220.jpg 20180902_210224.jpg 20180902_210239.jpg 20180902_210254.jpg 20180901_172258.jpg

*great applause* Elcorio that looks fantastic! Stunning work on the ridge thingy on the top of the forearm. For being freehand it looks spectacular. Well done. Did you document the process at all?

*great applause* Elcorio that looks fantastic! Stunning work on the ridge thingy on the top of the forearm. For being freehand it looks spectacular. Well done. Did you document the process at all?

Thanks all. Unfortunately, I did not document this process as I was going freehand and not 100% sure how it would turn out. I still have some finer details to add to this piece and once I start on the second one, I'll be more vigilant in the process.

OK, good news and bad news, or need some help news...........Good news first. Boots for the ODST armor came in today and fit like a glove! WOOT! WOOT!

Now the bad news.......Can any of you 3D printer gurus tell me what is happening here? Bed was leveled, all setting checked, plate clean, etc. and this is what keeps happening. It doesn't print on on side and botches up on the other. Any advice on what is causing this and how to fix it would be appreciated before I set it on side the road. I decided to go with the Creality Ender 3 for price, but am starting to regret it. First prints out the box were phenomenal, then..........yeah.......
20180904_181046.jpg 20180904_181106.jpg 20180904_181116.jpg 20180904_182911.jpg

OK, good news and bad news, or need some help news...........Good news first. Boots for the ODST armor came in today and fit like a glove! WOOT! WOOT!

Now the bad news.......Can any of you 3D printer gurus tell me what is happening here? Bed was leveled, all setting checked, plate clean, etc. and this is what keeps happening. It doesn't print on on side and botches up on the other. Any advice on what is causing this and how to fix it would be appreciated before I set it on side the road. I decided to go with the Creality Ender 3 for price, but am starting to regret it. First prints out the box were phenomenal, then..........yeah.......
View attachment 259498 View attachment 259499 View attachment 259500 View attachment 259501
Here is a helpful thing for 3d printing that I have been sent multiple times by multiple people, Print Quality Troubleshooting Guide | Simplify3D Software now to pass the knowledge on to you

View attachment 259498 View attachment 259499 View attachment 259500 View attachment 259501

I'm guessing a warp in the bed or one of the axes isn't level but the bed is which is giving you that print on one side and nothing on the other. Play around with it a bit but be careful about marring your nozzle or driving it into the bed.

I'm guessing a warp in the bed or one of the axes isn't level but the bed is which is giving you that print on one side and nothing on the other. Play around with it a bit but be careful about marring your nozzle or driving it into the bed.

Thank you sir. on a whim, I checked the nozzle before leveling the bed and noticed that it did appear ground down. Compared it to some replacement tips and it was confirmed. Changed the tip, re-leveled the bed and tested another print. All seemed to be working until the I noticed that halfway through, the print wasn't building up even thought the progress bar showed more than halfway finished. Stopped the print and checked the hot end. All the melted filament was surrounding the tip. So I think I may not have tightened the hot end tip on fully. Will try again this evening.

In the meantime, started on the second forearm piece and will try to remember to take more pics along the way. Almost done with the actual build! Only thing left is the second forearm, boot covers, butt plate, and the helmet. I'm fairly confident in pulling off the helmet in foam being as the forearms gave me so much trouble with the bevels initially and I've built multiple DFT ones. So I feel I've somewhat mastered that now. LOL. Contemplating building a vacu-forming set up for the visor. Anyone got any opinions or ideas on how to create the buck for it?

Thank you again TurboCharizard & Lieutenant Jaku for the help with the 3D printer.

Not much progress thus far. Boot covers are giving some issues and I don't quite like the way they are coming out, so back to the drawing board.

Cast a skull and cut out the flames in foam. Thinking I might add it to the center chest piece. Teeth or no teeth? Of course they will need some more work with paint, etc.
20180914_194735.jpg 20180914_194759.jpg

Alright there folks, 2nd forearm is complete, butt plate and cod piece are done! Last stop is the helmet. Actual build is nearing the end, then its on to filling in small gaps, smoothing out hard lines, then seal and paint! Nylon webbing and elastic webbing is on order for strapping it all together. Still have a bit to go, but slowly and surely, it'll get there.
20180915_084204.jpg 20180915_084208.jpg 20180915_084440.jpg 20180915_133844.jpg 20180915_134226.jpg 20180915_134232.jpg 20180915_215741.jpg

By filling in small gaps do you mean just straight to painting? As those are some snug lines, yo! Great work!

Thanks. I want to knock down some of the hard seam lines and fill in a few small areas were the foam pieces might not have closed completely or had gaps.

I've also have never been to a con and today our local library held a small one. Suited up my youngest in his DFT armor. Had a blast and going to start planning for the bigger one in New Orleans next year.
20180923_141055.jpg 20180923_142608(0).jpg 20180923_144122.jpg

Last edited:
Started sealing the foam using Mod Podge. Shooting for 9-10 total coats per piece. These are at 5-6 coats. Between every two coats of Mod Podge, I lightly sand the edges which is resulting in baby butt smooth seam lines. Then it will be wet sanding with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper over the whole piece before primer and paint go on. Hopefully, when done, the seam lines will be little more than distant memories. Also order 3 more full sheets (48" X 72") of the XLPE foam in 3/8" and 1/4". That is out for delivery today and will give me enough to build anything else for a very long time and to work on the ODST helmet counting mess ups. AND finally, started working on the inner portions of the thighs pieces. Sizing was a bit off as each piece needs to be slightly longer than the one below it, so it will be back to the drawing board, but I need to get some more 5mm foam. The inner pieces were done freehand, but I need to adjust the sizing for the three pieces in a step up type pattern.

20180929_101059.jpg 20180929_101229.jpg

Trying to seal so many pieces all at once became a daunting task, so I decided to just work on one piece from start to finish. Also bought a beginners airbrush kit and thought I'd give the whole airbrushing thing a go.

Pretty pleased with the results so far.
20181014_161519.jpg 20181014_173552.jpg 20181014_180455.jpg 20181014_182031.jpg 20181014_182041.jpg

Last edited:
That chest piece is amazing!!!!! I may be good at etching in foam but that is a true emblem......I have to try your method out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back