ODST Helmet (Finishing the fight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananoPower22

Jr Member
Alright so it's been a long time since I touched bondo, resin or anything related to that matter, but today is the day I break that long absence of these nasty chems. Here's my ODST helmet that I built some time ago and I never got around to finish it.

1478967_10202591380208637_631197818_n.jpg

It isn't perfect, at all, but it's grown in me and I want to finish this helmet, not toss it away and start building another one.

I believe my first step here would be to actually finish the exterior of the helmet as much as I can BUT I'm not sure how to proceed here since this helmet has a lot of small details that would be immediately be covered with a single pass of bondo so I'm looking for an alternative or tips that might help me.

I was also thinking of doing a rondo mixture and apply it to the inside, once it's all cured I'd start applying all the padding necessary so the helmet sits nicely over my head. I don't know which I'm supposed to do first; the outside or the inside?

Here's some things I bought today:

1476570_10202591619694624_1766460589_n.jpg

Thank you all for reading.

(BTW if this thread is in the wrong place please move it)

Not going to lie here - there's an awful lot of mess on the outside of that helmet. Drips, lumps, bumps... are you sure it's worth the time trying to get this up to scratch?

Either way, here's a tip: apply your bondo/rondo in smaller batches. You're laying far too much on in one go, and that's what's causing you to lose a lot of the detail in your helmet. Take it slowly and steadily, wipe away drips before they set, and use less material. Trust me, you'll thank yourself for it when it comes to sanding and detailing.

Not going to lie here - there's an awful lot of mess on the outside of that helmet. Drips, lumps, bumps... are you sure it's worth the time trying to get this up to scratch?
Yeah, It is quite messy, by the looks of things. But, a good file and some hard work should fix that.

I don't even use pep, other than for foam templates, but that does look like far too much bondo/rondo.

Take it slowly and steadily, wipe away drips before they set, and use less material. Trust me, you'll thank yourself for it when it comes to sanding and detailing.
I would also say use some form of blocker, like a piece of card. That way, you get a nice, clean edge, that requires fewer touch-ups.

I like the challenge.

I worked and reshaped the dome today and left it smooth silk but after reviewing the pictures it still needs some work. I'm resting my arms for a while so I can get back to it.

995009_10202606634509985_532763123_n.jpg

546012_10202606634189977_1110891667_n.jpg

1486789_10202606634069974_906177876_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back