Odst Helmet W.i.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomGhost94

Hi guys, I've been a member of this site quite a while now and I never really started a topic or got into finishing a really big project. This is probably my first serious project and I decided to share it with you. So my plan is to finish the helmet out of cardboard and tape with as much detail as I can put in it, after that I will resin both the Inside and outside of the helmet. Considering that this is cardboard I wont fiberglass the inside because I really don't think there is need to. Well after resining is over I will add anything else that I will notice there is need for and then I will bondo and sand the whole helmet, making as smooth and full of detail as I can. So far I've been working on it for 1 week and I think it's pretty game accurate.

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg
IMG_0381.jpg
IMG_0386.jpg
IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0388.jpg
IMG_0394.jpg
IMG_0395.jpg
IMG_0396.jpg
IMG_0397.jpg

DoomGhost94 said:
Hi guys, I've been a member of this site quite a while now and I never really started a topic or got into finishing a really big project. This is probably my first serious project and I decided to share it with you. So my plan is to finish the helmet out of cardboard and tape with as much detail as I can put in it, after that I will resin both the Inside and outside of the helmet. Considering that this is cardboard I wont fiberglass the inside because I really don't think there is need to. Well after resining is over I will add anything else that I will notice there is need for and then I will bondo and sand the whole helmet, making as smooth and full of detail as I can. So far I've been working on it for 1 week and I think it's pretty game accurate.

Nice start but i think that you should consider fiberglassing your helmet. card board is a sturdy material in itself, but you can never make your helmet to sturdy.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, your about to build a bucket odst helmet the way it looks now. Im not sure how your going to get the dimensions in.

If you'd like to have a serious project, i'd suggest you consider doing one the pep helmets. You'll be much happer with the results

Its not impossible to do it with cardboard... I built mine mostly out of cardboard (sorry im not trying to hi-jack your thread) but you can use mine as a reference if you'd like. It really not hard, all you have to do is visualize the smaller parts that build the bigger parts and how the will fit together

100_2153.jpg

100_2133.jpg

yeah, its going to be harder to do cardboard, while it is sturdier it is harder to work with, you could print out the designs and put them on the cardboard if you want the strength of the cardboard and accuracy of pep.

Pepakura might be a better choice, in my opinion.

Most cardboard helms end up looking no-where near as nice.

Just take your time with pep and it will be well-worth it!

Welcome to the 405th!

With enough hard work, you can get any material to look good. However, the work required for a good looking pep helmet is a LOT less than the effort required for a good looking cardboard helmet, if you get what I'm saying. Especially that curved part at the top. That's a doozie out of cardboard. I tried.

All right guys here's a little update. First of all what u gays said about pepakura. I know it's accurate and everything, but sometimes it comes out too small or to big, i completed about 6 pepped helmets, none of them came out the right size. Right now I'm also pepping a smooth recon while making my cardboard odst. Soo, I didn't have too much time to work on it, however i did make a few small changes around the visor area look closely and compare new with old pics, also last pic is my recon build.

IMG_0398.jpg
IMG_0399.jpg
IMG_0400.jpg

DoomGhost94 said:
All right guys here's a little update. First of all what u gays said about pepakura. I know it's accurate and everything, but sometimes it comes out too small or to big, i completed about 6 pepped helmets, none of them came out the right size. Right now I'm also pepping a smooth recon while making my cardboard odst. Soo, I didn't have too much time to work on it, however i did make a few small changes around the visor area look closely and compare new with old pics, also last pic is my recon build.

There is scaling feature on Pepakura, you know that right? Also, Xtreme made a great tutorial that has 3 different methods you could try. Here is is.

Daniel Greco said:
There is scaling feature on Pepakura, you know that right? Also, Xtreme made a great tutorial that has 3 different methods you could try. Here is is.

Meh....I was just about to link that. Anyways, good luck DoomGhost! Just wondering, are you part of the 501st? Just wondering, considering you have a pretty nice CT helmet there.

Ok here's a minor update, resined outside and primed. Inside resining and second outside layer will also be done today.

IMG_0409.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0414.jpg

Wow non one is checking my topic out no more :( . Anyways, here is a my progress so far. I decided to not build the top anymore, and instead use a old skateboarding helmet, which also has padding on the inside, for the visor I will use a tab divider and put and auto window tint on it. Here's Pics :) : P.S. My mac is being stoopid so I can't import more pics from iPhone.

IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0423.jpg
IMG_0424.jpg

Another update, the helmet is coming along better than I expected it too, unfortunately I ran out of upload bandwith, so if u wanna see the pics go to my gallery>ODST Rookie, and view them there. Make sure to leave comments and suggestions. Have a nice day! :)

IMG_0430.jpg
IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

Daniel Greco said:

Hence the name "Noob Forum" A lot of people have trouble scaling their helmets or don't even notice it until they halfway finish it and say "What??.... Dah???... Fucckkk???...?? And then they go through a major breakdown and cry about it on youtube. For Example:

Spartans and Marines, after a month of work my helmet is finally complete. It came out better than I expected it to. For all the pics of this project check out my gallery.

IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0436.jpg
IMG_0437.jpg
IMG_0444.jpg
IMG_0445.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back