ODST Helmet WIP, pep, mud, and wood putty method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick117

Hey everyone, I have had a great time reading all the great posts on the forums and have decided to start a thread on my own build. This is an ODST helmet I started from a pepakura file, I believe it was rundowns but Im not sure, I then resined it, added some detail with clay, and then covered it in mud, from the great tut "muddy secrets." I am now using a mix of wood putty and some clay to clean up all of the edges. I just started using wood putty and it works great, takes 15 minutes to dry in front of a fan and then I can sand it just like bondo, no fumes too. Im including some pictures of the mudding process and then one of the helmet after some sanding, I should be able to add some better pictures of it soon, Ive done a lot of sanding since the last picture. Im welcome to any input or questions, I have some picture of earlier on in the process if anyone is interested and Im open to any suggestions, especially on how to accurately cut out the grooves on the top of the helmet.

Helmet after adding mud

ODSThelmet2.jpg

Helmet after sanding the mud, brown spots are wood putty

ODSThelmetside.jpg
Ill try to add some more updated pics, and if anyone wants I can post a pic of the materials I used, and does anyone know how to resize the pictures in the post?

Some updated pics of the helmet after being painted to help bring out imprefections, anyone have any expreience with Rustoleum self-etching Primer?
ODSThelmetprimed.jpg

Just finished cutting out the lines and the visor, and am using wood putty to fix up the "vents" on either side. I will be vacuum forming my visor tomorow and if it goes well i will post a quick tut on how i built my vacuum table. I am also experimenting with using caulking as a mold, if anyone has any info on the releasing agent they used Id be happy to know.
IMG_01671.jpg

Caulking as a mold eh? That's intriguing. I have this feeling that somebody may have dabbled in that in the forums somewhere...not sure where...

What was that about the Rustoleum Self-etching primer? I would assume it means that it has something in it that etches the surface for improved adhesion, probably some kind of corrosive agent. I'm curious now.

It's looking awesome, can't wait to see how your visor comes out.

Thanks Psychosolver, Im sure yours will turn out great, please post some pics as you make your helmet and let me know if you have any Q's and maybe I can help you avoid some of the mistakes I made. :)

Yea Liam your right I got the caulking idea from another thread, I have been experimenting with a 100% silicone clear caulk and I used some cooking spray as a release, on my small scale test it worked; however, you have to be careful to make sure you really pat the caulking down or you get gaps. Ill post some pics of it once I finish vacuum forming my visor and start molding. And as far as the primer you might be right, it goes on really thick and almost seems kind of plasticy or something but sticks on well even though I sprayed it on smooth resin and bondo.

Hey everyone, sorry for the long delay but I have finished the helmet. I am also including photos on making a mold of it with castin craft liquid latex, 15 dollars at the craft store. As some added info the pulls from the mold will be made of fiberglass resin and reinforced with fiberglass cloth, with a visor made out of a hardware store faceshield. So the helmet will be useable for airsoft, and i have already shot the visor with many airsoft guns repeatedly, and the helmet itself with be thick enough that bb's will not be a problem. Once I have finished it I will post a video of it being shot at so you can see the damage, hopefully nothing:)
IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

The latex
IMG_0206.jpg

After one bottle of laex has been applied, around 8 thin coats. I going to start adding some cloth to help strengthen the mod now. I would suggest at least two bottles three would be better to make a stronger mold.
IMG_0211.jpg

As a quick update I am applying the third bottle of liquid latex and should be making my first pull this weekend, ill post the pics once they come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back