ODST helmet wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetro

Jr Member
hey guys, it's been a long time..
a while ago I had to deal with very big failures mith my mkV helmet.
11154925_800483616694706_4403800421693770503_o.jpg

so as I had to remake pretty much everything I decided to start on an other project: a odst helmet!
11904673_862982027111531_5685118872007902078_n.jpg
I decided to start with a rather thick paper for once
12045460_880682712008129_4327481768636427932_o.jpg
then I put some layers of resin both inside and outside
12088571_880682948674772_2034888725685198873_n.jpg
after the curing I decided to try rondo (resin+bondo) the brands weren't the same but it worked perfectly anyway.
it saved me an awful lot of time considering I usually use fiberglass cloth, and it's pretty much a mess everytime I try
I only made a cup at the time to avoid wasting too much if there was a problem.
12002515_880683012008099_5829059933985949501_o.jpg
the part I hate now! filling, sanding, filling, sanding over and over and over again
12052549_880682988674768_2222673449744925067_o.jpg
I tried to make details with those thin foam sheets, but it wasn't that great...
that's where I stopped.

next step is either I try to make the awful lot of details it's missing directly on it
either I make a silicon mold and make a foam copy and sculpt, which would save me weeks of work (I work slowly)
but I'm not sure if it'd work, anyone tried once?

after that I hope I can make a final mold and make some cast out of it! wish me luck guys

yeah I really plan on finishing this project for once

I got a question for you all, has anyone ever tried to make acast out of expansive foam sold in hardware store? I know I should use polyurethane foam made for casting, but I cannot afford it for now.
I'm really relying on this to make a better version.

also I'll maybe making some cast of the low detail helmet and sell it, just to cover all the money I spent for this project.
so guys tell me if you think someone would be interested in low details casts

Lol, looks great. I for one love the ODST helmets. But i'm very nitpicky on things... Couldn't stop altering my raw cast i got from someone xD (Not his fault though, the model was made before the final copy of halo came out)

Even then, i'm lazy as hell on it... My mouse sander died, and i still have a lot of bondo to put on and sand... xD that's what you get when you make big shapes from bondo...

I think it's the part I hate the most really, sanding again and again and again, on my first project I decided to use "plastiline" to make the details, but as I failed my silicone mold everything I made was destroyed, so maybe taking time to sand it all isn't that bad after all...
but then again I'll try to experiment on polyurethane foam so I can sculpt details into it, I think it's much safer than going with a file on my bondo covered base. I wonder if anyone already did

So, just a question for you. My question is which method is strongest and easiest to do: fiberglassing or rondoing?

and dude that helmet is kick ass it must really hurt to be that savage ( youre awesome and keep up the good work)

well after lots of tests I'm 100% sure rondoing is easier!
and as it gets in every little spots and cures as a thick solid layer I think it's stronger. (I'm a huge mess at fiberglassing, so that may be a reason)
but rondo is very sturdy, I've seen a guy rondo a helmet and stand on it without breating anything.
thanks! in a few weeks I'll have my tools and products to make it even better!

well after lots of tests I'm 100% sure rondoing is easier!
and as it gets in every little spots and cures as a thick solid layer I think it's stronger. (I'm a huge mess at fiberglassing, so that may be a reason)
but rondo is very sturdy, I've seen a guy rondo a helmet and stand on it without breating anything.
thanks! in a few weeks I'll have my tools and products to make it even better!

Rondo in is definitely easier, but is also far heavier and more brittle than a fiberglassed helmet. I used rondo for my first helmet, and would recommend against it for anyone else looking to make armor.

Awesome work on your helmet so far though, it is looking great!

Rondo in is definitely easier, but is also far heavier and more brittle than a fiberglassed helmet. I used rondo for my first helmet, and would recommend against it for anyone else looking to make armor.

Awesome work on your helmet so far though, it is looking great!

Rondo with fiberglass is more brittle?

Rondo with fiberglass is more brittle?

Rondo itself is brittle. The purpose of fibreglass is to bind the mixture together more strongly and give it a higher resistance to impact damage - rondo is simply a watered-down Bondo/body filler, which means there are no fibres holding the mixture together.

Put it simply: if you drop a fibreglassed project, it will crack, but the chances are that the fibreglass strands will hold the project together and allow you to effect surface repairs. A rondo-hardened project will simply shatter.

but rondo is very sturdy, I've seen a guy rondo a helmet and stand on it without breaking anything.

Are you sure he didn't also fiberglass it? Many people Resin it, Fiberglass it, then Rondo the inside. Super strong! and makes it feel closer to the weight of an actual metal helmet. If you have trouble with fiberglass, try using spray adhesive to secure the fiberglass down before resining it. Changed my life.

Rondo itself is brittle. The purpose of fibreglass is to bind the mixture together more strongly and give it a higher resistance to impact damage - rondo is simply a watered-down Bondo/body filler, which means there are no fibres holding the mixture together.

Put it simply: if you drop a fibreglassed project, it will crack, but the chances are that the fibreglass strands will hold the project together and allow you to effect surface repairs. A rondo-hardened project will simply shatter.

Oh thanks. o_O
Earlier, I've read here on 405th someone said bondo is brittle, but rondo as mix of resin and bondo is a lot stronger... o.o'''

Earlier, I've read here on 405th someone said bondo is brittle, but rondo as mix of resin and bondo is a lot stronger... o.o'''

Bondo is literally a mixture of fibreglass resin and talcum powder - the powder is used to thicken the resin up and make it easier to sand and paint. When you add further resin to the bondo mixture, you're diluting the product. Any 'strength' that comes from rondo is only there due to the amount of rondo that's been used - a thicker layer will, naturally, be able to stand up to more force. However, a fibreglass layer achieves a higher structural strength and uses half as much product, which means the end project will be a lot lighter and more comfortable to wear.

The same principle can be seen on some mesh-reinforced glass panels, the types you generally see in industrial areas. If the glass takes an impact, the metal mesh will hold the pane together and reduce the damage, rather than the entire pane shattering.

Speaking personally, I would never use rondo as a means to strengthen my pieces. You can achieve better results with a layer or two of fibreglass and resin, and you're wasting both bondo and resin. Rondo has uses, certainly - but never for structural strengthening larger pieces.

What actaly is the "formula" mix for Rondo? Just Bondo mixed w/ the resin used for fiberglassing? What ratio?

What actaly is the "formula" mix for Rondo? Just Bondo mixed w/ the resin used for fiberglassing? What ratio?

Yes and whichever ratio works for what you need. 50-50 isn't bad, but sometimes you want it runnier (so add resin) or want it thicker (so add bondo). I like 3oz of Resin for every golf ball size of Bondo. CerealKill3r describes it as looking like a good strawberry milkshake. (though not as tasty) :) I'd be curious the ratio that Marawuff uses when she rondos the outside of her pieces. *wink *wink

Tetro - Let us know what you decide to do once you get your supplies! Nice work so far!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back