Odst Rookie For Haloween 09

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys i am starting my haloween costume and it gonna be the rookie from odst. ive got my smg, and my helmet pepped, and im resining them sunday afternoon. i am trying to get my photobucket account up here so you can see my pictures.My link photo bucket for my odst rookie build

i know that my chest peice looks like junk, but thats because im just using that for sizing purposes. ill build a good one when i get the right size down. well let me know if the chest is too small. i think that it is.

Looking good so far! :D Slight amount of warp on the chest, but nothing a few cardboard struts can't fix

20 days to go... I think you can do it :)

thanks but did you think that it was too small? it feels small... i also will do another one tommorow it will be the one that i resin

small, very small update i reprinted the chest peice and uped the scale factor by 10 percent and printed off the odst shoulder... why must the shoulder be 40 something parts? why?

sorry to double post, but while I was resining my new chest plate and rookie helmet, i have noticed that the resin isnt curing. on my rookie helmet, i am certain that i mixed the resin correctly. the resin just isnt getting hard. its just soft. and its been drying for 2 and a half hours so far. my chest has been drying for 3 and a half hours and it is still reall wet. help i dont know what to do):

Adam Anderson said:
sorry to double post, but while I was resining my new chest plate and rookie helmet, i have noticed that the resin isnt curing. on my rookie helmet, i am certain that i mixed the resin correctly. the resin just isnt getting hard. its just soft. and its been drying for 2 and a half hours so far. my chest has been drying for 3 and a half hours and it is still reall wet. help i dont know what to do):

i had the same problem with my 1st helm i think it has something to do with temp (for some reason it was unusually cold)not 100% sure.but it could have been i didnt put enough hardener in it. i put anouther coat with exrta hardener it sorta worked but warpped in few spots. and good luck with the time limit

Last edited by a moderator:
wll its 55 degrees out at my house so i think that that is the reason for my failure. and by the way using a heat gun to try to dry it also failed. it actually really thined out. im really mad about this. tommmorow its supposed too be about 70 degrees mabey ill try to re resin it tommorow. or i might buy one from another member

Adam Anderson said:
wll its 55 degrees out at my house so i think that that is the reason for my failure. and by the way using a heat gun to try to dry it also failed. it actually really thined out. im really mad about this. tommmorow its supposed too be about 70 degrees mabey ill try to re resin it tommorow. or i might buy one from another member

another tip, possibly is to use a few worklights. i have a stand with two 500 watt halogen bulbs and that really pumps out the heat, try maybe to warm the resin(room temp) before mixing and im currently working in my unheated garage in the Upper Peninsula of MI which, it snowed this morning with the two stands of four worklights and it's been curing fine around 3-4 hours with the lights on and directed at the pieces im resining...

update- i somehow got the resin to cooperate with me and ive got my odst helmet with 2 coats of resin on the outside and imgoing to glass it in the morning. my chest plate is somewhere inbetween complete fail, and might work out. have of it cured and have diddnt. i just printed out the side equipmen plates and the main stomach peice. by the way, does anyone know where the halo 3 odst shins and thigh plates are, all i could find were the weta ones. and im not pepping the weta shins. i can guarentee you that right now. 80 something peices just to get the size wrong. so i just need to find a easier shin model and thigh plate and ill have all the files. are there any easier unfolds of the shoulder too? or are there just the ones on nightshades 1st page. cause i got the size epically wrong and im in no mood to re pep those shouldrs again. the pics are in my photobucket link in the 1st post. please comment and constructive criticism is welcome.

Sorry but i don't think theres another kind of odst shin around. So you might vae to use the Weta.

Just measure from the bottom of your foot to just below your knee.

ps, make sure that you get the sizing correct and then print off 2 copies. What i did was size it, write the size down (which was wrong for some reason) and not print off a second now i dont know what i sized the first one :p

Adam Anderson said:
update- i somehow got the resin to cooperate with me and ive got my odst helmet with 2 coats of resin on the outside and imgoing to glass it in the morning. my chest plate is somewhere inbetween complete fail, and might work out. have of it cured and have diddnt. i just printed out the side equipmen plates and the main stomach peice. by the way, does anyone know where the halo 3 odst shins and thigh plates are, all i could find were the weta ones. and im not pepping the weta shins. i can guarentee you that right now. 80 something peices just to get the size wrong. so i just need to find a easier shin model and thigh plate and ill have all the files. are there any easier unfolds of the shoulder too? or are there just the ones on nightshades 1st page. cause i got the size epically wrong and im in no mood to re pep those shouldrs again. the pics are in my photobucket link in the 1st post. please comment and constructive criticism is welcome.

Check out halo costuming wiki there is a link around here some where probly in the download hub(its sticked i believe) but if you cant find it just google it. i know they the h2 shins but i dont no about the rookies but havent browsed there in a hot minute. Good luck

kind of an update. i am fiberglassing my rookie helmet and im almost done pepping the center stomach plate. i think i might hust go ahead and do mar 6 shins for time reasons. (they will be done last)i also forgot, are there any odst arms, or are those just weta too? but on a side note, my chest peice is almost dry! it took all last night, and this morning, but its almost there! (its really warped though) i can try to fix it.

EDIT- i have got the rookie helmet 90 percent glassed.(just an estanated guess) and my center equipment plate is done. im probably not going to resin or fiberglass it though, due to my resins random inconsistancy. im probably going to use the hot glue method. but im worried about paint. how well will the cardstock take the paint? just like resin and bondo would, or will i have to spray some special paint on it first? i sized the side equipment plates wrong also so i have to reprint those to. im probably going to scratch build my shoulders. that is all for now.ive updated my photo bucket again. lins in the first post.

hey update ive finished all the stomach peices, and im starting the arms and shoulders. i just bought a corded dremel 100 and i <3 it. i used it to sand and smooth out my rooie helmet, and i bought the paint i need to finish it. and on the subject of visors, what kind of plastic do you need to vaccumform it. and can you buy it at like home depot, or lowes. or some store like that. other than that my rookie is almost done. can you use the size/scale from your mark 6 peices to use for your odst peices? cause if you can, that would be a huge help.

i just finished sanding my rookie helmet and im super proud of it because its my [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb4Q6z5Z9yg[/media]best peice ive ever made. tell me what ya think

thanks and ive pepped 1 arm about to start the next one, printed both shins, amost done with the torso, and im scratch building the backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back