ODST "Shark-face" Insurrectionist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psquiddy

So, most of you on these forums here probably watch the hit internet series "Red vs Blue" Amiright? Now I've been a follower of RvB for a long time, ever since their first season! I love Red vs Blue for what it is, and ingenious series using the best game possible for it, Halo. In season 7-8, the RvB cast started using CGI in their episodes. In the beginning it was rough but did the job, Now we're in season 10 and some of us are starting to think the have a Halo game that we don't. One of the coolest GCI fight sequences they have created was in season 9, during the heist episodes.

When I was watching the second part of that episode, there was an amazing fight scene between Carolina and Washington versus a Flamthrower-wielding ODST Insurrectionist. I'm going to be honest, that guy is Bada$$, which brings me onto my next point.

So I've been loking at all of these ODSTs that have been popping up and I see a repeated thing going on; They all look the same. Now not to say that they all look bad for being the same, the vast majority are just plain freakin amazing. I decided to go off the beaten path with my first Pep build (Also my first ODST) and do something BadA$$. If you haven't guessed it by now, I'm talking about the Flamethrower ODST.... Oh yeah. Id you don't know who I'm talking about, here's a video:

http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=3708&v=more [not on youtube :( ]

If you don't want to click on the link, here's a few screen-shots;

flamer1.png

flamer2.png

flamer5.png

flamer6.png

Now that you have the basic look of what i'm trying to achieve, let's get down to the basics of what I'm making;
1 full set of ODST Armor substituting the default shoulder pads for two of Mickey's
2 Commando shoulder pads
1 Flamethrower
1 Rookie backpack
several additions to the backpack to make the giant fuel tank
1 Jorge chest piece (default)
more misc pieces for looks and mounting.

You might be wondering why I have two different kinds of shoulder pads... if you look closely, on Roosterteeth's 3D model for the Flamer ODST, he uses Mickey's model of shoulder pads for vambraces/ hand-plates. That was another reason I wanted to do this model because it was so unique :D

So since I found that so interesting, I decided to start with Mickey's shoulder pads (also my first pep) and see how it finished from there, so, here's some first update photos for the ODST !!!

[Note: The first few updates will be wide-spread since I'm still working on the Juggernaut suit, when that is finished, things should progress much smoother]

Model is Jimmy Da Moose's: mickey shoulder
unfolded by: Me (Psquiddy)
First shot: first time pepping;
dscn8923a.jpg

Next three shots: Moar pepping;

dscn8925n.jpg

dscn8926o.jpg

dscn8924.jpg

Final shots: Finished hand-guard (bicep mount) so far, as well as the joint that bonds the two parts together (upper and lower)

dscn8927l.jpg

dscn8928f.jpg

Not bad for a first pep eh?

Right off the bat I would like to thank Redshirt for all the information on future vaccuforming and pepping, and both IRONBLOODCROW and Jimmy Da Moose for pep files, thanks so much! Have a wonderful day, and stay tuned in!

Ya'll come back now ya hear?

Not bad at all, my good sir. A very interesting re-purpose that pep. Shark face by far, the coolest. Can't wait to see this!!!

Btw- nice book collections, love war of the worlds

if your juggernaut build is anything to go off, this is going to be amazing. Love Shark Face, cant wait to see how this one comes along: you don't know how long i have been waiting for someone to make him! :D

Looks good so far. I can't wait to see more.(I love Sharkface!;)) For the backpack you can try using the jetpack test file it looks kind of similar.
165980_10151079174347813_1071374334_n.jpg
548776_10151079174377813_535191627_n.jpg

What the F*** is with this guy? - Agent washingtub.
I love it! RvB is da best. I have all of the seasons on dvd.

Thanks for all the positive reenforcement so far guys, just got back from my trip, and I should have more updates tomorrow.

Also, @ Satsugai: Thanks a bunch for sighting that, it should help a bunch with the entire backpack section!

Well I just found a Flamethrower pepakura file. (found it in All-in-One-Halo-Pepakura-Pack) All you need to do is change the barrel and the bottom tank(Add it to the backpack, Its close) IF you don't use the files, at least you got some reference to go on.
479927_10151092134167813_778238915_n.jpg

WOW: didnt realize how small the pic is.
Length: Jet pack test file 293.30mm -Flame 281.62mm
Width: Jetpack 182.93-Flame 166.84
I hope this helps you

This could be a really cool and original build. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. The shark motif is definitely gnarly.

As an aside, I watched something like the first six episodes of RvB back in late 2003 but didn't really follow it after that. When you started this thread last week I clicked on the link in the first post and was thoroughly impressed. I started watching more and am really enjoying working through the episodes. I cheated a bit and started with the Recollection series through the current episode but am going back to the beginning to catch what I've missed. I like the interplay between the more dialouge-centered original cast plot and the newer Freelancer action plot. Anyway, thanks for hooking me back up with the RvB crew and good luck with your build.

Update #2

So first off, thanks to anyone who is reading this, and everyone who has helped me so far, your support is amazingly helpful!
A serious shout-out to Satsugai for finding out that the backpack has the tester file for the jet-pack in it, that's going to really help in the long run. So a simple update for today, possibly one tomorrow, though keep in mind I'm working on the juggernaut (updates soon!) at the same time, so this isn't priority. I've been told so far that I have some pretty clean pep-work for a first timer, but I'd like to get your opinion, so without further adieu, Update 2!

SO first things first, I did some planning. I watched the video many, MANY times so I got a basic idea of how I'm going to mount additional plates of armor on the ODST, but one thing I noticed was that the way that the shoulder piece on the for-arm bends the opposite direction the joint is designed for... so before I finished the shoulder piece fully, I removed the extra pieces and kept the joint, and upper/lower halves separate in case I change my mind.

Example of the joint;
flamer7.png

If you read this far, thanks for putting up with my paragraphs of info, now for the pics:

Finished upper half

dscn8936f.jpg

Sizing
dscn8938us.jpg

Just a quick throw-together without the gauntlet (I'm working on it as I type lol)
dscn8939o.jpg

And right here you can see the problem with the joint;
dscn8940t.jpg

So all the finished pieces so far, and the pep pages for the gauntlet right next to them
dscn8941w.jpg

Thanks for checking up on the updates guys, have a nice day, and thanks for all the support!

Just a quick all words update: So the suit is still in the works, I've been balancing work, sleep, and the two suits so as you can imagine progress is uber-slow. So I have the shoulder pepped, and I'm thinking of Vaccu-forming it to speed up production. The Fore-arm I started, but I'm probably going to re-pep since the distance from the elbow-cover to the rim of the wrist was about an inch short (I didn't need to finish it to find out). SO that's on the list. Besides that, I also need to begin pepping the chest piece, and the shoulders. I'm most likely going to leave the helmet for last since I want to try to pull a few molds if I can. The flamethrower is completely and utterly.... not done. I'm working on calculating replacement parts for it, since most of the cage on it will be PVC of some sort, and several things on it need to be re-shaped, cut, or completely improvised. I'm also considering purchasing some orange EL wire for the flamethrower nozzle, but it's all in flux at this moment. Hopefully new pictures soon, have a nice day!

Dang man i can't wait to see "Sark Face" this is going to be a exciting build. But any way the pep looks really good and clean and it will be cool to see how this comes together.

i agree with prime, i cant wait to see this. i watched that episode at least four times just because of the epic fight, and i always thought, 'man, someone needs to build this guy.'

you sir, have your work cut out for you. but in the end, its all worth it.

maybe you will have this build done in time for RTX next year! just imagine the looks on their faces :eek

I could refer you to the origininal file, and thanks for supporting me. Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been debating wether to finish the shark-face or make a turret twin from episode 9. All things considered, keep in touch for a update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back