ODST visor options? Window Tint, Paint, Dye Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahksi

Hey guys, so I have my ODST armor pretty much finished. Now I'm working on the visor for the helmet. I took a sheet of acrylic, cut it to the shape needed, and heat formed it to fit the inside of the helmet. It is one solid piece (not as fancy as other ODST visors but it'll work for now). Now, I have some basic window tint given to me from a local shop, but said he doesn't want to mess with the visor himself. What is the best way to go about this? I would apply it to the inside, but my problem is that I have some permanent marker markings on the front of the visor that need to be covered up. Can anyone help me?

On a side note, what is the best way to make a magnum and/or pistol from EVA foam? Does anyone have a tutorial?

Thank you very much!

Hey guys, so I have my ODST armor pretty much finished. Now I'm working on the visor for the helmet. I took a sheet of acrylic, cut it to the shape needed, and heat formed it to fit the inside of the helmet. It is one solid piece (not as fancy as other ODST visors but it'll work for now). Now, I have some basic window tint given to me from a local shop, but said he doesn't want to mess with the visor himself. What is the best way to go about this? I would apply it to the inside, but my problem is that I have some permanent marker markings on the front of the visor that need to be covered up. Can anyone help me?

On a side note, what is the best way to make a magnum and/or pistol from EVA foam? Does anyone have a tutorial?

Thank you very much!

For my visor, i used a "mirror window tint" but it's pretty hard to work with, especially for the ODST visor which has like two pieces, so i can't really help with that, but i made a plasma pistol using eva foam and it turned out awesome, what i did was print out a side view blueprint for the weapon, then just cut out the basic shape 3 times, to make it thicker, sanding and whatnot until it looks nice, but pepakura templates work really good with foam to so you could find a magnum pepakura file and convert it to work with foam

I think acetone will take off permanent marker without damaging the acrylic. If you have nail polish remover, that should work, since its just watered down acetone.

As for painting, I've never tried the window tint, but I hear its difficult to apply. Depending on the color you want, you may have a few options. Testor's paints makes a transparent blue, which is what I used, or you can buy a brownish colored transparent window tint from an auto part store. That stuff is called VHT Window Tint, and I think it's supposed to work pretty well.

Thank you all for the replies. I think I'm going to try the acetone, hopefully it doesn't mess up the acrylic (I'll try a test piece). But perfect, thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, the guy gave me enough window tint that I can do the inside of the visor and test it out. I wasn't planning on painting the outside of the visor, wouldn't that screw up visibility?

If the Acetone doesn't work, try writing over the permenant marker with a dry erase marker, then wipe off the dry erase marker. This works on dry erase boards and may work on acrylic.

Thanks for the suggestions. Nail Polish worked. Now I need to apply the tint. I tried on a test piece (and it was a fail).

Does anyone have any tips on applying window tint? It's not a two piece thing. It's one piece, pretty smooth.

There's a guy on Etsy who sells them for about $40, just look up psst visor, he sells a ton of different colors and they are really good quality and fit with pretty much all helmet types and sizes

Would that be better than vht nightshades? Do we know any results on krylon looking glass? Thanks for the suggestion

Never use vht nightshades. It's really not that good. Very inconsistent results with very blurry vision. Give your visor a bath in some rit dye.

The only "results" I was able to find was a review on amazon. It can appear to be quite promising.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/B003971BAY/RND5AWVVVD801?cursor=16&sort=byRankDescending

The reviewer mentions mirrachrome as an alternative. Instead of using mirrachrome, many builders have used aclad II as a cheaper alternative with great success.

Never use vht nightshades. It's really not that good. Very inconsistent results with very blurry vision. Give your visor a bath in some rit dye.

The only "results" I was able to find was a review on amazon. It can appear to be quite promising.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/B003971BAY/RND5AWVVVD801?cursor=16&sort=byRankDescending

The reviewer mentions mirrachrome as an alternative. Instead of using mirrachrome, many builders have used aclad II as a cheaper alternative with great success.

I'm working on a visor myself fairly soon, I'll see if I can get a hold of alcad II, mirrachrome and Krylon looking-glass; I'll make a tread with pics of the testing process so everyone else can judge for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back