On a Strict Timeline!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryToAtropia

Hey guys. I just heard about Halo: Outpost Discovery. I've been a long-time Halo fan, playing since Halo 2 released many moons ago, but I've never been so compelled to put together a costume from my beloved franchise, until I saw that this was a thing and that it would be coming within an hour of my home.

So now I'm on a mission, should I choose to accept it, to create a passable ODST costume by August 30th, day one of the event. I'll be looking for my local 405th Chapter after this post for guidance, and whether or not this is a suicide mission.

Wish me luck in my endeavors.

Luck is the last dying wish of those who want to believe that winning can happen by accident.

I think it's totally doable, and we here on the 405 can help you do this.
I'd highly recommend 3d print or pepakura/ fiberglass helmet and foam everything else.

Set goals and when it gets ridiculous and frustrating, keep going.

Which Outpost are you looking at attending?

The quickest ODST build would be Andrew DFT. You can find his templates on Etsy and his build instructions on YouTube.

Good luck and happy building!

I’m a California boy, so I’ll be attending the Anaheim Outpost. I did see Andrew DFT’s videos, I don’t love his Reach suit, but the other one is rather appealing. I’ve also looked at some concept art, but it all looks too complicated, especially for the timeframe I’m working with.

Andrew DFT for sure is a great pattern. His helmets tend to look flat on top, though.

I would say foam is going to be the best bet. And don't use hot glue, it clumps and doesn't give as good a seam as contact cement. Furthermore, if you don't have a lot of experience, start with the legs or something. That way you have more experience with cuts when you get to the chest and helmet, if you go that route.

With the six months lead time there's lots of room to put together a foam suit, maybe even a couple. I'd recommend checking your local library to see if they have a 3D printer and if not, see if there's a makerspace near you that can print a helmet. Failing that, there's a few of us forum frequents that have printers and can send out parts if you ask nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back