One way colored material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXDashIVXx

Sr Member
So I have been wanting to do a project for a while, but I dont know a way of doing it and was wondering if anyone has an idea...

I wont tell you what the project is just yet, but is there a way to take acrylic and dye it or put a tint like object on it to make it a color that you can see out of but not into, but it isnt reflective like a mirror and is a flat color such as red, blue, and black?

I have done some research but have found NOTHING useful and I am starting to doubt of this is possible. I need to make it able to be glued onto itself to make a 3d shape. Kind of like if I was making those minecraft heads, but I can see out the whole thing without there being any holes, but noone can see in...

The only idea I can come up with is the fabric they use in certain Halloween masks. It's a fabric you can see through, but no one can see into, but the holes are so fine they're practically none existent. You can take the fabric and dye it any color you wish. I know you mentioned using acrylic, but this is all I could come up with as I know of no paint you can see through that doesn't have the mirror effect.

You could dye and then airbrush on a lacquer on the one side? Or depending on the material you could get a transparent lacquer for polycarbonates that come in sprays.

I used Alclad II for the interior of my Daisy visor which is chrome one side and orange dyed, I'm just worried that your project will create a mix of colours when viewed rather than two distinct colours.
DSC_0701.JPGDSC03123.JPG

Good idea! I'll try that out! I did something like this for my robins hammer where I used a hidden counter light to make the hammer look like it had the glowing purple stone in it, but I wanted the color to be grey if the hammer was off so it didnt look out of touch. I spray painted fabric silver and red it through. Never woulda thought to look through it! Now to find the fabric.

As for turbos idea, I find that method a little tricky and dont want to attempt it again... :(

Maybe if there is an easier way or when I get better

The only idea I can come up with is the fabric they use in certain Halloween masks. It's a fabric you can see through, but no one can see into, but the holes are so fine they're practically none existent. You can take the fabric and dye it any color you wish. I know you mentioned using acrylic, but this is all I could come up with as I know of no paint you can see through that doesn't have the mirror effect.

It has been done already. I remember 2 tutorials that does exactly what you are talking about. One was from Punished Props when they made the Visor for G.I. Joe's Snake Eyes. I can't remember the other one, but it might be on the same playlisting.

It has been done already. I remember 2 tutorials that does exactly what you are talking about. One was from Punished Props when they made the Visor for G.I. Joe's Snake Eyes. I can't remember the other one, but it might be on the same playlisting.
Looking at those eyes, it couldwork, but it is still slightly transparent. Thank you for reminding me about that, and the destiny sweeper robot and Adam savage astronaught helmet! I'll look into it more and see if I can make it more one way

There are one-way mirror foils that you can put over glass, which might work on plastics too if you want to try it out. I'm not sure if it'd work, but I guess if you put the mirror on the inside, and the coloring on the outside you might get what you want?

There are one-way mirror foils that you can put over glass, which might work on plastics too if you want to try it out. I'm not sure if it'd work, but I guess if you put the mirror on the inside, and the coloring on the outside you might get what you want?
I see what your saying and it's an interesting idea I could look into. I have worked with these tints before, and if it isnt a friction form tinting, it will actually destroy the acrylic/plexiglass as a chemical reaction is used to bond to glass. This will melt the plastic and cause bubbles from releasing gass.
I originally thought about this but I dont want the tint to be metalic or a mirror, and instead I want it to be a flat color. Most of the tints are mirrored, and if not, it is too transparent, but I like the idea of initially putting it inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back